Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 02:56:55 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Assange loses extradition appeal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Assange loses extradition appeal  (Read 1753 times)
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:05:10 am »
Ignore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18260914

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
politicus
YaBB God
Denmark

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:18 am »
Ignore

Good news. Sweden has an excellent justice system, no reason they shouldn't treat him fairly and get to the bottom of all this.
The whole attempt to portray him as some kind of political martyr is rather pathetic IMO.

Every time I see Denmark I just want to punch it in the face...
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:15:57 am »
Ignore

Yes, the implication that Sweden is some sort of totalitarian hellhole is pretty funny.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:56:58 am »
Ignore

Yes, the implication that Sweden is some sort of totalitarian hellhole is pretty funny.

Is someone implying that ? Apart from the Obvious Trolls, I mean.

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:11 am »
Ignore

Do Assange and his defence team count as Obvious Trolls?

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:24:38 am »
Ignore

Wait, they did actually make that case ? I thought they had more credible arguments to bring up...

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It REALLY is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:24 am »
Ignore

Wait, they did actually make that case ? I thought they had more credible arguments to bring up...

Since their second line of defense is "it's not rape if you yell surprise" I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:23 am »
Ignore

C'mon men he's not worried about going to Sweden, he's worried his next stop from Sweden will be Gitmo.

London Man
Silent Hunter
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:02 pm »
Ignore

C'mon men he's not worried about going to Sweden, he's worried his next stop from Sweden will be Gitmo.

Of course, some might say he deserves that.

If the United States seriously wanted to get rid of this guy for good, assuming that this is a put-up-job for the sake of argument, a rape charge that carries a relatively short prison sentence in a country that isn't the USA's biggest ally isn't the way to do it.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:31 pm »
Ignore

Free Bradley Manning
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:46 am »
Ignore

Toodles Julian....

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:00 am »
Ignore

Has the US given any indication that they intend to extradite him?  And if they did, why wouldn't they just do that now, rather than wait until he's in Sweden?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:23 am »
Ignore

Has the US given any indication that they intend to extradite him?  And if they did, why wouldn't they just do that now, rather than wait until he's in Sweden?

I can't for the life of me remember why it was a problem when he was in the UK........

tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:08:38 pm »
Ignore

-cool to see everyone giving world power the benefit of the doubt rather than the other side.

-Al's giddiness throughout the unfolding of this case is a case-in-point of (one of) the crucial errors in his world-view.

there's no ghosts in the graveyard, that's not where they live
they live in between a, 'what is' and 'what if?'
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:53 pm »
Ignore

It's actually easier to extradite someone to the US from the UK than it is from Sweden.

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »
Ignore

-cool to see everyone giving world power the benefit of the doubt rather than the other side.

In order to convict or acquit someone, there does need to be a trial at some point.  I suppose you'd prefer letting him sit around in London?

-Al's giddiness throughout the unfolding of this case is a case-in-point of (one of) the crucial errors in his world-view.

That rapists (if convicted) should be incarcerated so they don't commit said crime again?

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:05 pm »
Ignore

You're trying waaaay too hard, Tweed.

Real America demands to know.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:09 pm »
Ignore

and you're not trying at all, it comes naturally as the breeze.  your point?  there's a life on both sides, people congregate on both sides.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:38 pm »
Ignore

My point is that your streams of consciousness are not interesting or worthwhile.  At first I thought it was just something you do in print, but then not too long ago I watched one of your YouTube videos you did for fantasyland.  It was meant to be a campaign ad or speech or something, but of course you just rambled on for ten minutes about god knows what - or at least I assume you continued to do so after I gave up two minutes in.  Incredible.  What a personality you must have.  Even your running mate told us in IRC that he wishes you would shut up.

Real America demands to know.
tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:14 pm »
Ignore

again, that's fine -- there are the people who will appreciate it and those who won't.  a note on bgwah, the unity from my pov is largely tactical; he brings the most 'talent', so be it.  he can be on the other side in his spare time.

Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:53 am »
Ignore

I had a day, a tough day.  took 150 of trazodone to pass out.  was too much, I got existential anxiety.  but eventually, the Lord was merciful, and I passed out.  to awake at 445am, and here I am.

why the fck do I run you through these things?  because I can't look the world in the eye.  I admit it.  this is a temper tantrum.  I admit it!  I could do better, I could to better!  but there is a lurking doubt, a hard doubt.  it's not just the rationalization of self-destruction kicking in, it's deeper.  it's reasoned.  what happens when I cross that threshold, become 'functional'?  do I start being like you?  RD Laing was clinically depressed.  and he also pointed out the truth: that 'normal' people like you, Mikado, like you, Al, were responsible for two world wars, slaughter of 100 million.  meanwhile Tweed is the guilty kid.  no!  I'm not!  there is moral relativism, and it's here, and you're dense if you can't see it.  he could rape 100 women and it still would not be about that, period.

Have you read Knots? Pretty good stuff!

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:40 pm »
Ignore

Leaving aside the wording ('giddiness'?), in what way?

The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:17 pm »
Ignore

Tweed clearly thinks that anyone who opposes the international system should be freed from judgement on petty things like criminal behavior.  Fatal symptom of how the hard left puts "the people" (an abstraction) as somehow more important than, well, people (like the woman Assange raped).

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:42 pm »
Ignore

Tweed clearly thinks that anyone who opposes the international system should be freed from judgement on petty things like criminal behavior.  Fatal symptom of how the hard left puts "the people" (an abstraction) as somehow more important than, well, people (like the woman Assange raped).
allegedly
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 02:32:59 pm »
Ignore

Since their second line of defense is "it's not rape if you yell surprise" I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
I find this very hard to believe, I don't think that his defense team would be shooting themselves in the foot by trolling, you got a link to the translated transcript of the court hearing with trolling in it?
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout