Assange loses extradition appeal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:45:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Assange loses extradition appeal
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Assange loses extradition appeal  (Read 3348 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2012, 05:05:10 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18260914
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 05:14:18 AM »

Good news. Sweden has an excellent justice system, no reason they shouldn't treat him fairly and get to the bottom of all this.
The whole attempt to portray him as some kind of political martyr is rather pathetic IMO.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 05:15:57 AM »

Yes, the implication that Sweden is some sort of totalitarian hellhole is pretty funny.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:56:58 AM »

Yes, the implication that Sweden is some sort of totalitarian hellhole is pretty funny.

Is someone implying that ? Apart from the Obvious Trolls, I mean.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:17:11 AM »

Do Assange and his defence team count as Obvious Trolls?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 06:24:38 AM »

Wait, they did actually make that case ? I thought they had more credible arguments to bring up...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

Wait, they did actually make that case ? I thought they had more credible arguments to bring up...

Since their second line of defense is "it's not rape if you yell surprise" I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 11:42:23 AM »

C'mon men he's not worried about going to Sweden, he's worried his next stop from Sweden will be Gitmo.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:02 PM »

C'mon men he's not worried about going to Sweden, he's worried his next stop from Sweden will be Gitmo.

Of course, some might say he deserves that.

If the United States seriously wanted to get rid of this guy for good, assuming that this is a put-up-job for the sake of argument, a rape charge that carries a relatively short prison sentence in a country that isn't the USA's biggest ally isn't the way to do it.

Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:11:31 PM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:59:46 AM »

Toodles Julian....
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »

Has the US given any indication that they intend to extradite him?  And if they did, why wouldn't they just do that now, rather than wait until he's in Sweden?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:39:23 AM »

Has the US given any indication that they intend to extradite him?  And if they did, why wouldn't they just do that now, rather than wait until he's in Sweden?

I can't for the life of me remember why it was a problem when he was in the UK........
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »

-cool to see everyone giving world power the benefit of the doubt rather than the other side.

-Al's giddiness throughout the unfolding of this case is a case-in-point of (one of) the crucial errors in his world-view.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »

It's actually easier to extradite someone to the US from the UK than it is from Sweden.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 06:29:37 PM »

-cool to see everyone giving world power the benefit of the doubt rather than the other side.

In order to convict or acquit someone, there does need to be a trial at some point.  I suppose you'd prefer letting him sit around in London?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That rapists (if convicted) should be incarcerated so they don't commit said crime again?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »

You're trying waaaay too hard, Tweed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 07:45:09 PM »

and you're not trying at all, it comes naturally as the breeze.  your point?  there's a life on both sides, people congregate on both sides.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:38 PM »

My point is that your streams of consciousness are not interesting or worthwhile.  At first I thought it was just something you do in print, but then not too long ago I watched one of your YouTube videos you did for fantasyland.  It was meant to be a campaign ad or speech or something, but of course you just rambled on for ten minutes about god knows what - or at least I assume you continued to do so after I gave up two minutes in.  Incredible.  What a personality you must have.  Even your running mate told us in IRC that he wishes you would shut up.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »

again, that's fine -- there are the people who will appreciate it and those who won't.  a note on bgwah, the unity from my pov is largely tactical; he brings the most 'talent', so be it.  he can be on the other side in his spare time.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 03:35:53 AM »

I had a day, a tough day.  took 150 of trazodone to pass out.  was too much, I got existential anxiety.  but eventually, the Lord was merciful, and I passed out.  to awake at 445am, and here I am.

why the fck do I run you through these things?  because I can't look the world in the eye.  I admit it.  this is a temper tantrum.  I admit it!  I could do better, I could to better!  but there is a lurking doubt, a hard doubt.  it's not just the rationalization of self-destruction kicking in, it's deeper.  it's reasoned.  what happens when I cross that threshold, become 'functional'?  do I start being like you?  RD Laing was clinically depressed.  and he also pointed out the truth: that 'normal' people like you, Mikado, like you, Al, were responsible for two world wars, slaughter of 100 million.  meanwhile Tweed is the guilty kid.  no!  I'm not!  there is moral relativism, and it's here, and you're dense if you can't see it.  he could rape 100 women and it still would not be about that, period.

Have you read Knots? Pretty good stuff!
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:40 PM »

-Al's giddiness throughout the unfolding of this case is a case-in-point of (one of) the crucial errors in his world-view.

Leaving aside the wording ('giddiness'?), in what way?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 02:29:17 PM »

Tweed clearly thinks that anyone who opposes the international system should be freed from judgement on petty things like criminal behavior.  Fatal symptom of how the hard left puts "the people" (an abstraction) as somehow more important than, well, people (like the woman Assange raped).
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:42 PM »

Tweed clearly thinks that anyone who opposes the international system should be freed from judgement on petty things like criminal behavior.  Fatal symptom of how the hard left puts "the people" (an abstraction) as somehow more important than, well, people (like the woman Assange raped).
allegedly
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2012, 02:32:59 PM »

Since their second line of defense is "it's not rape if you yell surprise" I wouldn't bet the farm on that.
I find this very hard to believe, I don't think that his defense team would be shooting themselves in the foot by trolling, you got a link to the translated transcript of the court hearing with trolling in it?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies