NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:58:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: NY-Quinnipiac: Gov. Cuomo (D) sets post 9/11 approval ratings record  (Read 11320 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »

New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo gets a 71 - 16 percent approval rating today, the highest score for an Empire State governor since Gov. George Pataki hit 81 - 12 percent in the wake of 9/11, and continuing Gov. Cuomo's year-long trend with the highest approval rating of any governor in the seven states surveyed by the Quinnipiac University poll.

Voters support 79 - 18 percent, including 61 - 34 percent among Republicans, raising the minimum wage, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.

Cuomo's job approval is 68 - 20 percent among Republicans, 76 - 11 percent among Democrats and 69 - 19 percent among independent voters, 71 - 15 percent among Protestants, 71 - 18 percent among Catholics and 83 - 9 percent among Jews. There is no gender or racial gap. Approval is 68 - 19 percent upstate, 72 - 15 percent in New York City and 76 - 12 percent in the suburbs.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-state/release-detail?ReleaseID=1755
timothyinMD

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »

I fully expect a Cuomo candidacy in 2016, but I also see an O'Malley candidacy
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 12:07:51 PM »

"Gov. Cuomo might not be the most popular governor in the nation, but he's the most popular - Democrat or Republican - in the seven states surveyed by Quinnipiac University. For example, he's well-ahead of New Jersey Gov. Christopher Christie's all-time best 59 - 36 percent. Cuomo tops that score among Republicans in New York State."

Who else has over 71% popularity? Beebe?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »

He's one of the worst governors in the country.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:57:01 AM »

New York State Gov. Andrew Cuomo gets a 71 - 16 percent approval rating today, the highest score for an Empire State governor since Gov. George Pataki hit 81 - 12 percent in the wake of 9/11, and continuing Gov. Cuomo's year-long trend with the highest approval rating of any governor in the seven states surveyed by the Quinnipiac University poll.

Voters support 79 - 18 percent, including 61 - 34 percent among Republicans, raising the minimum wage, the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University poll finds.

Cuomo's job approval is 68 - 20 percent among Republicans, 76 - 11 percent among Democrats and 69 - 19 percent among independent voters, 71 - 15 percent among Protestants, 71 - 18 percent among Catholics and 83 - 9 percent among Jews. There is no gender or racial gap. Approval is 68 - 19 percent upstate, 72 - 15 percent in New York City and 76 - 12 percent in the suburbs.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-state/release-detail?ReleaseID=1755

Can you say "Cuomo for President, 2016"? He definitely has the numbers to do it - hugely popular and successful Governor in a large blue-state. Only question is, will he basically be like his dad, "Hamlet on the Hudson" part 2? His dad was thought to be considering a run for the Presidency in 1988 and 1992, but never bit the bullet. If Andrew does run in '16, he'll definitely be top-tier, and will have a better shot at it than Biden, despite what polls say now. This is all presuming Hillary doesn't run (and she won't).

The problem with a Cuomo run is that a lot of left-wing Democrats don't like him. I can easily see a left-wing alternative gaining momentum if he gets the nomination.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:33:48 AM »

Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 02:14:24 PM »

The problem with a Cuomo run is that a lot of left-wing Democrats don't like him. I can easily see a left-wing alternative gaining momentum if he gets the nomination.

Doesn't the fact that he has a 71% approval rating in one of the most Democratic/leftist states in the nation negate what you just said? 

Exactly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 04:12:02 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2012, 04:14:35 PM by Jmfcst Napoleon »

Uh, Cuomo is the normal leftist. "Marxists" in their suburban bedrooms or basements might act upset but Cuomo is well liked by all New Yorkers for doing a good job running the state.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »

Even I approve of Cuomo. Though that's not saying much about the left-wing of the Democratic Party, I think parts of the Internet underrate Cuomo.

Probably not, I recall polling showing Beebe in the '60s. Heineman reaches similar levels at present, I think. Freudenthal and Hoeven both come to mind, but they both left office in 2010.

This is all presuming Hillary doesn't run (and she won't).

Hillary would be handed the nomination on a silver platter. And I don't think she'd be able to resist the temptation.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:28:33 PM »

Uh, Cuomo is the normal leftist. "Marxists" in their suburban bedrooms or basements might act upset but Cuomo is well liked by all New Yorkers for doing a good job running the state.

He's not a leftist, he's a liberal. Granted, a competent one some of the leftist anger at whom is misplaced.
NY Jew

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 07:56:49 AM »

that poll is worthless when it comes to the Jews (it way underestimates Orthodox Jews like almost all these polls do)
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 08:15:12 AM »

He's not a leftist, he's a liberal. Granted, a competent one some of the leftist anger at whom is misplaced.
Yeah I agree with Nath on this one.

I'm disappointed he isn't more left as this is New York, but unlike some, I think he'd make a decent President.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 01:32:39 PM »

Even I approve of Cuomo. Though that's not saying much about the left-wing of the Democratic Party, I think parts of the Internet underrate Cuomo.

Probably not, I recall polling showing Beebe in the '60s. Heineman reaches similar levels at present, I think. Freudenthal and Hoeven both come to mind, but they both left office in 2010.

This is all presuming Hillary doesn't run (and she won't).

Hillary would be handed the nomination on a silver platter. And I don't think she'd be able to resist the temptation.

Not a chance, her shot was in 2008.  She's only got high approvals atm because she's basically stayed out of domestic politics since being made Secretary of State.  The minute she tries to reinsert herself into domestic politics, her negatives will go back up.  Also, many Democrats still haven't forgiven her for her race-baiting during the 2008 campaign.  Additionally, ambitious Democrats such as O'Malley, Cuomo, Hickenlooper, etc. aren't just going to stand aside because a Clinton is running.  Obama already proved that she is beatable and many Democrats will be more willing to publicly cross the Clintons than in 2008.  Also, she is simply a very unlikable person and comes across as bullying, paranoid, arrogant, and ruthless when running against a strong opponent  (there is a reason she is sometimes referred to as "Lady McBeth" Tongue).  Plus, she seemed to be pretty much dead to the progressive/liberal wing of the Democratic party.  Lastly, some of the groups that backed her in 2008 (Jewish voters, Hispanics, Southern whites, etc) probably wouldn't support her as strongly if she were to run in 2016 (for a variety of reasons).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 01:39:48 PM »

68-20 approval amongst NY Republicans?

What has this guy done to get so much love from people who should recognize him for what he really is?

I hope there's some Democrat that can stop him in 2016, or that the nation is really tired of Democrats by then and he pulls a (Mario) Cuomo, expecting a loss.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 02:49:26 PM »

I'm surprised. I guess that most New Yorkers must not pay enough attention to relaize that he's a paranoid bully.

^Yep, I don't trust Cuomo with the power of the Presidency. He has been an underhanded operator for decades.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

that poll is worthless when it comes to the Jews (it way underestimates Orthodox Jews like almost all these polls do)
Most Jews aren't Orthodox, so yeah....
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:07:05 PM »

68-20 approval amongst NY Republicans?

What has this guy done to get so much love from people who should recognize him for what he really is?

I hope there's some Democrat that can stop him in 2016, or that the nation is really tired of Democrats by then and he pulls a (Mario) Cuomo, expecting a loss.

Because New York democrats are so left-wing, Cuomo spends a lot of his time doing battle with his own party. Republicans see him as a bipartisan doer.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 12:38:49 AM »

What has Cuomo done that's so conservative? The only thing I've heard in regards to specifics is that he was open to legalizing fracking (which is most certainly not something I'd favor, but I doubt it's the only thing fueling this.)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 12:53:48 AM by Governor Napoleon »

What has Cuomo done that's so conservative? The only thing I've heard in regards to specifics is that he was open to legalizing fracking (which is most certainly not something I'd favor, but I doubt it's the only thing fueling this.)
He made some pension cuts that are no big deal. New York can't be taxed any more than it is so Cuomo is doing the right thing. Malloy wont raise taxes enough. Too many people have this narrow ideological view and fail to put things in perspective. Considering he only has an 11% disapproval rating among actual New York Democrats, it is hard to take the Cuomo haters on this forum seriously.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 01:06:14 AM »

He is definitely a moderate hero for talking tough on redistricting, and then signing the usual horrible Republican gerrymander of the state Senate into law.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »

He is definitely a moderate hero for talking tough on redistricting, and then signing the usual horrible Republican gerrymander of the state Senate into law.
He was forced to cave by his own party. It is tough to get the better end of the powers that be in New York.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 02:08:51 AM »

The fact that he's actually managing to sort out the nightmare Spitzer and Paterson left should, by rights, be more than enough to satisfy the left, particularly in our day and age of horrible governance. It's really quite sad they feel the need to take far-wing swings at his centrism that would make the Tea Party proud.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 04:33:09 AM »

He was forced to cave by his own party. It is tough to get the better end of the powers that be in New York.

He could have vetoed it. I imagine that Senate Democrats would have blocked a veto override.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 05:18:10 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 05:19:50 AM by Governor Napoleon »

He could have vetoed it. I imagine that Senate Democrats would have blocked a veto override.
You must not know much about New York politics. The Democrats dont care about the State Senate.
Yes, theoretically they "could" have blocked a veto override but it wouldn't be in their interest, just like a vetowasnt in Cuomo's interest.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »

You must not know much about New York politics. The Democrats dont care about the State Senate.
Yes, theoretically they "could" have blocked a veto override but it wouldn't be in their interest, just like a vetowasnt in Cuomo's interest.

Umm, I know that Assembly Democrats don't care about the State Senate but obviously Senate Democrats would.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies