Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible  (Read 4971 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 12:57:30 AM »

considering how much sugar 'adults' put in their coffee in this country and how much sugar in juice there typically is, this is pretty arbitrary...
NY Jew

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 01:03:36 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2012, 01:12:15 AM by NY Jew »

it's not just libertarians
every person I speak to in NY (and not just Orthodox Jews) democrat or republican hates Bloomberg.

one thing that seems to unite most NYers is that Bloomberg pisses them off.

my favorite one of Bloomberg's idiocies (just for the record what's mentioned here is the least of the Richter's kindnesses)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/no_kugel_for_you_N4VuTrqavfOiApSHngxuMJ
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 01:07:37 AM »

'The New York City health department’s unhealthy obsession with attacking soft drinks' is the number one cause of obesity!!
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 01:12:43 AM »

it's not just libertarians
every person I speak to in NY (and not just Orthodox Jews) democrat or republican hates Bloomberg.

one thing that seems to unite most NYers is that Bloomberg pisses them off.

my favorite one of Bloomberg's idiocies (just for the record what's mentioned here is the least of the Richter's kindnesses)

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/opinion/opedcolumnists/no_kugel_for_you_N4VuTrqavfOiApSHngxuMJ
5 people isn't exactly a representative sample
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 01:28:00 AM »

considering how much sugar 'adults' put in their coffee in this country and how much sugar in juice there typically is, this is pretty arbitrary...

Not to mention most restaurants give you free refills anyway. I actually did at least somewhat agree with Bloomberg's other health proposals but this is really stupid.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 04:29:37 AM »

I don't really drink soda that contains sugar (There are more enjoyable things to drink...if you're going to do something unhealthy Wink) That said, I always take small drinks in the US precisely because they give free refills. So this seems rather pointless, yes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:07:56 AM »

Bloomberg's campaign appears to be working; I am indeed pissed off by this..
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:28:41 AM »

I actually like Bloomberg except for this lone issue. Will he stop his war on sugary drinks already? Now maybe next year I will avoid the New York International Auto Show or just try to sneak my own soda through. Maybe I will just grab something at the Train Station in Jersey. I am one of those people that can't drink water with my 3 meals a day.

People don't get fat off of sugary drinks anyway. They get fat because they eat too much food.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:38:25 AM »

Not to mention most restaurants give you free refills anyway. I actually did at least somewhat agree with Bloomberg's other health proposals but this is really stupid.

But you have to either get off your fat ass to get the refill or ask the server and then wait for it, so the free refill argument isn't as strong as you might think at first glance.  I'm sorta meh on this except for one point.  16 ounces!?!  A lot of the soft drink industry has been going to half-liter bottles for personal consumption, and that's 16.94 oz so it would be just over a 16 oz limit.  If he is gonna do this, a half-liter limit would be far more sensible and help with metrifying the US.  (I also thought that back in the days of the 55 mph national speed limit, that it should have been raised for states willing to mark speed limits in km/h as 100 km/h as a spur to metrification.)
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

Most restaurants in NYC do not offer free refills.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 12:21:41 PM »

Boo hiss.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 02:19:06 PM »

I have always liked Bloomberg, even more than Giuliani. Who can replace him?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 02:21:13 PM »

Wasn't New York once rated as the least free state in the nation, or something to that effect?  Because, now we know what that's coming from.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 02:26:36 PM »

The proposal is dumb but the idea behind it is noble. Obesity is a nation-wide issue and spurs higher medical costs and lower productivity, among other things.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 02:28:53 PM »

Wasn't New York once rated as the least free state in the nation, or something to that effect?  Because, now we know what that's coming from.

Yup, and by a substantial margin too: http://mercatus.org/sites/all/modules/custom/mercatus_50_states/files/Freedom50States2011.pdf
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 02:33:23 PM »

I'm happy to see the forum is more or less in agreement about something. If a democrat had been mayor would they have done the same thing?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 03:19:38 PM »

"“While obesity is a serious public health issue, it is puzzling that the Mayor seems more concerned with the possible long term effects of sugary drinks than the potential instantaneous results of a bicycle crash, such as a traumatic brain injury,” Mr. Liu said.  ”As thousands who are unfamiliar with the City’s terrain are set to hit the streets this summer through the bike share program, the Mayor should reconsider his opposition to the City Council’s helmet legislation.”

Christine Quinn, the City Council speaker and a mayoral ally, pointed out that the key to getting people to eat healthier is to give them healthier options, and said during an avail today that she was concerned about the ban being excessively punitive.

Fighting the obesity epidemic comes down to personal decisions and that’s why knowledge about nutrition is important because with it, people can make healthier choices. Another important factor is access to healthier foods. We’ve seen that if better choices are available, people will often take advantage of them. That’s why we’ve expanded Green Markets and the EBT program. However, limiting people’s choices is not about knowledge, empowerment or access. It seems punitive and I worry that in the end, this proposal won’t yield a positive result. Because after all, the person who doesn’t understand why it’s not healthy to drink 18oz of sugared soda, is simply going to get two 10oz cans or extra refills.

A spokesman in Manhattan borough president Scott Stringer’s office said that he hadn’t yet received a briefing on the plan from the mayor’s office and is still evaluating it.

We have reached out to the other contenders, including former City Comptroller Bill Thompson and public advocate Bill de Blasio, and will update with their responses when we receive them."

http://politicker.com/2012/05/2013ers-skeptical-of-bloomberg-soda-ban/
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 03:20:41 PM »

Wasn't New York once rated as the least free state in the nation, or something to that effect?  Because, now we know what that's coming from.

Yup, and by a substantial margin too: http://mercatus.org/sites/all/modules/custom/mercatus_50_states/files/Freedom50States2011.pdf

Maryland is dead last in personal freedom? Fuc-k. Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 03:44:44 PM »

That one's ability to easily become obese through junk food consumption is seen to, at least partially, define how "free" one is is pretty emblematic of what's wrong with libertarianism in my opinion.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »

That one's ability to easily become obese through junk food consumption is seen to, at least partially, define how "free" one is is pretty emblematic of what's wrong with libertarianism in my opinion.

Obesity can easily be fought by promoting healthier foods and voluntary means of eating wisely.  Even a tax increase is more acceptable than this, in my opinion.  We ban enough substances in this country and adding one more to the list won't make life better for people, whether it's healthy for them or not.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »

I think Bloomberg is only doing this so he can call himself Lee Kuan Yew on the Hudson.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 06:57:45 PM »

I think Bloomberg is only doing this so he can call himself Lee Kuan Yew on the Hudson.

OH GOD... YES! Singapore has my favorite government in the world, if NYC became more like Singapore, that would be... indescribably amazing. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Bingo.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 09:08:20 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2012, 09:10:19 PM by Emperor PiT »

It's about the principle of not letting the government tell us what we can & cannot do with our own bodies. I could easily make the same point about destroying your brain with meth, but I still consider it important to fight the proscription of meth every step of the way.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 09:12:04 PM »

Honestly, if people want to be fat by consuming obnoxious amounts of sugar, then just let them. It's their problem.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies