Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:36:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible  (Read 4973 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »

Honestly, if people want to be fat by consuming obnoxious amounts of sugar, then just let them. It's their problem.

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue
GLPman
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:30 PM »

Honestly, if people want to be fat by consuming obnoxious amounts of sugar, then just let them. It's their problem.

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue

Oh I'm aware, haha. Why stop at soft-drinks, though? If Bloomberg is really out to rid the city of excessively unhealthy products, why not go after those triple baconaters? Obesity is no doubt a huge issue across the nation, but this is absurd.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 12:38:30 AM »

That's a negative externality and it could be resolved by a tax, not a ban.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »

I think Bloomberg is only doing this so he can call himself Lee Kuan Yew on the Hudson.

OH GOD... YES! Singapore has my favorite government in the world, if NYC became more like Singapore, that would be... indescribably amazing. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Have you ever been to Singapore?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:51 AM »

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue
You do know that this logic train leads to a very bad place right?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:38 AM »

You do know that this logic train leads to a very bad place right?

No one's saying we having to the take the train all the way to Fascist Station. We can get off before it gets all the way there.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »

Well this (and dozens of other examples) shows we're already on the edge of the suburbs, can't we just stop it now, get off and see how we like this neighborhood?
NY Jew

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:53 AM »

I'm happy to see the forum is more or less in agreement about something. If a democrat had been mayor would they have done the same thing?
Bloomberg is a democrat (or at least he was before he only became a Republican to avoid a primary and then left the party)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:52 AM »
« Edited: June 01, 2012, 10:29:46 AM by Guns Don't Kill People, I Do »

Well, no surprise this is patently absurd.

I mean really, I don't get how somebody could defend Mayor Michael Bloomberg.  He seems to be hell bent on competing for the title "most anti-freedom" mayor in America.  Though I don't know how anyone else could really compete with this man.

It's funny how hacks like Lief defend Bloomberg, who is objectively horrible by the measure of most sane people on this board, as one who is merely fighting "libertarians".  Well, this is a very cute fantasy that ignores that Bloomberg has gone far beyond pissing off libertarians.  He's pretty much pissing off rational people at this time, and by rational I mean people who don't post articles to defend their extreme strawman view of an ideology they do not like.

Sure, I do not like tyrannic laws telling people what to do and what not to do, but a tax on the consumption of sodas per ounce might've been way more effective than an outright ban of sodas larger than 16 oz.  I mean really.
What's next King Michael?  Going to bring back Prohibition because of drunk driving accidents and domestic abuse?  Going to ban all kitchen knives to prevent home cooking accidents?  Going to ban cars because people get in car wrecks and car wrecks drive up health insurance premiums?  Going to ban school buses because kids need their exercise?

This crusade isn't heroic, it's retarded.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »

Sure, I do not like tyrannic laws telling people what to do and what not to do, but a tax on the consumption of sodas per ounce might've been way more effective than an outright ban of sodas larger than 16 oz.  I mean really.

NYC does not have the authority to impose such a tax on its own, and Bloomberg tried to get the State government to impose one, but failed to persuade them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies