Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 01:44:20 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Bloomberg continues heroic crusade to piss off as many libertarians as possible  (Read 1275 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 09:13:36 pm »
Ignore

Honestly, if people want to be fat by consuming obnoxious amounts of sugar, then just let them. It's their problem.

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue

GLPman
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 09:19:30 pm »
Ignore

Honestly, if people want to be fat by consuming obnoxious amounts of sugar, then just let them. It's their problem.

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue

Oh I'm aware, haha. Why stop at soft-drinks, though? If Bloomberg is really out to rid the city of excessively unhealthy products, why not go after those triple baconaters? Obesity is no doubt a huge issue across the nation, but this is absurd.

Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 12:38:30 am »
Ignore

That's a negative externality and it could be resolved by a tax, not a ban.
Хahar
Xahar
YaBB God
Bangladesh

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 12:55:58 am »
Ignore

I think Bloomberg is only doing this so he can call himself Lee Kuan Yew on the Hudson.

OH GOD... YES! Singapore has my favorite government in the world, if NYC became more like Singapore, that would be... indescribably amazing. Yes! Yes! Yes!

Have you ever been to Singapore?

Update reading list

The idea of parodying the preceding Atlasian's postings is laughable, of course, but not for reasons one might expect.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:51 am »
Ignore

It would be, if the rest of us didn't have to pay for their diabetes treatments through higher premiums.  Tongue
You do know that this logic train leads to a very bad place right?

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 01:01:38 am »
Ignore

You do know that this logic train leads to a very bad place right?

No one's saying we having to the take the train all the way to Fascist Station. We can get off before it gets all the way there.

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 01:16:55 am »
Ignore

Well this (and dozens of other examples) shows we're already on the edge of the suburbs, can't we just stop it now, get off and see how we like this neighborhood?

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
NY Jew
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 07:42:53 am »
Ignore

I'm happy to see the forum is more or less in agreement about something. If a democrat had been mayor would they have done the same thing?
Bloomberg is a democrat (or at least he was before he only became a Republican to avoid a primary and then left the party)
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 08:23:52 am »
Ignore

Well, no surprise this is patently absurd.

I mean really, I don't get how somebody could defend Mayor Michael Bloomberg.  He seems to be hell bent on competing for the title "most anti-freedom" mayor in America.  Though I don't know how anyone else could really compete with this man.

It's funny how hacks like Lief defend Bloomberg, who is objectively horrible by the measure of most sane people on this board, as one who is merely fighting "libertarians".  Well, this is a very cute fantasy that ignores that Bloomberg has gone far beyond pissing off libertarians.  He's pretty much pissing off rational people at this time, and by rational I mean people who don't post articles to defend their extreme strawman view of an ideology they do not like.

Sure, I do not like tyrannic laws telling people what to do and what not to do, but a tax on the consumption of sodas per ounce might've been way more effective than an outright ban of sodas larger than 16 oz.  I mean really.
What's next King Michael?  Going to bring back Prohibition because of drunk driving accidents and domestic abuse?  Going to ban all kitchen knives to prevent home cooking accidents?  Going to ban cars because people get in car wrecks and car wrecks drive up health insurance premiums?  Going to ban school buses because kids need their exercise?

This crusade isn't heroic, it's retarded.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 10:29:46 am by Guns Don't Kill People, I Do »Logged

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 09:53:16 am »

Sure, I do not like tyrannic laws telling people what to do and what not to do, but a tax on the consumption of sodas per ounce might've been way more effective than an outright ban of sodas larger than 16 oz.  I mean really.

NYC does not have the authority to impose such a tax on its own, and Bloomberg tried to get the State government to impose one, but failed to persuade them.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout