What is your heritage?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your heritage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: What is your heritage?  (Read 4158 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 07:30:03 AM »

I found some random additional info on my maternal ancestors, from her father's line:
http://www.francogene.com/genealogie-quebec-genealogy/004/004043.php

The guy was born in 1639 in Saint-Malo, Brittany and died in Quebec in 1680. He married and had five kids. His wife was born in Quebec but her dad came from La Flèche (Sarthe) and her mom from Paris. Which just goes to show how quickly you get off track when tracking down ancestry and how diverse it is. I had no clue that my distant, distant, distant ancestors were also from the Sarthe...

This page: http://www.famille-arbour.com/2011/11/30/famille-hayet-dit-malo-gilles-1610/ seem to continue down and includes family names (Forest, Malo) related to my family.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2012, 01:02:51 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 01:06:24 PM by Redalgo »

German, Norwegian, English, Scotch-Irish, Swiss

In my adoptive family, the maternal side is namely of German and Czech/Bohemian immigrant background whereas the paternal side has a blend of Irish, English, native Chippewa, and - to a lesser extent - French Canadian heritage.
hawkeye59
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

Almost all German, with a bit of Russian, Lithuanian, and Hungarian.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 10:08:36 PM by Vosem »

Almost all Ashkenazi Jewish, with a little bit of some sort of Crimean Jew on my dad's dad's mom's side (she died in the '50s, so I've never really known her or anyone who did). I don't know about Krymchak or Karaite, though. However, since my first language is Russian and my middle name is an Eastern Slavic patronymic, and 'Ukrainian-American Jew who speaks Russian as first language' is apparently too complicated for people, over the past few years I've ethnically self-identified as 'Russian', while continuing to religiously identify as 'Jewish' even though at this point my beliefs are basically agnostic.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2012, 12:12:08 AM »

All Filipino. Although I might have European or Chinese ancestry deep down.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2012, 12:30:08 AM »

Mostly Russian, but 3 of my great-grandparents were Belorussian, Ukranian and Chinese(all on dad's side).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »

Both of my parents were born in Cuba.

My father's side is primarily white Spaniards who moved to Cuba in the 19th century. They come from Cáceres, which is in western Spain.

My mother's side is much more diverse, including white Spanish and French, Afro-Caribbean, and Chinese elements (mostly the former). However, that does mean I'm 1/8 black.
Reginald
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2012, 12:53:47 AM »

It's probably a bit more complicated than this, of course. Nevertheless:

50% German (maternal grandfather's family is from Dortmund; paternal grandfather's line from Osnabrück)
25% Irish (paternal grandmother)
25% Sorbian (maternal grandmother is allegedly 100% Texas Wend)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:08 AM »

Half Japanese on my mother's side, and half Scandinavian on my father's.  Though his family got to the United States (and settled in Minnesota) in the middle of the Civil War, they never were involved in it.  And if they had, I am certain they would have fought on behalf of the Union as they later became staunch Republicans in the post-war years.  
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2012, 02:17:47 AM »

1/4 Italian, 1/4 Swedish, 1/4 German, 1/8 English, 1/8 Scots-Irish. There's a bit of French mixed in with the English; apparently, my "English" relatives are descendants of French nobles that fled during the Revolution. Some Spanish and Greek may be connected with the Italian, but it's too far back to really matter.

It's funny, I have an Italian surname, but look like a Northern European.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »

For anyone that didn't know yet: 100% Italian.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »

Ethiopian (Gurage) on my mother's side, Ghanaian (Fante) on my father's.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »

Paternal Grandfather: German, either born in Germany or on the boat over.  He was an only child, his mother died in childbirth or soon after, and his father died when he was 12.  Then he died when my father was 12, so we know very little about his family.  A guy I know speculated that because of his last name and a few other things, his ancestors may well have been Jews who were "Germanized" by the Prussians in the late 19th century.  However, my father said his father was a strict Lutheran, and his father was an even stricter one, so I'm not sure I buy that.

Paternal Grandmother: Norwegian-American.  Her parents immigrated to Seattle in the late 19th century.

Maternal Grandfather: English and Scottish descended; Maternally English (patriarch of that side was actually Danish and moved to London as a boy in the 19th century) and the Scottish side immigrated to Canada in  1905 and still live in Ontario.  His father's side is also English, so English they most likely fought against the Normans at the Battle of Hastings according to his research (he wrote a book, which is why I know all of this).

Maternal Grandmother: Her family has lived in the mountains of western North Carolina for centuries.  There is a book of family history for each of her parents but I don't have access to them.  Judging from her father's surname he is probably descended from Britain, though I know  he has some Cherokee in him.  I think his father might have been half-blooded Cherokee?  His English ancestors probably settled in Chesapeake bay in the 1600's as indentured servants and then moved south to the Carolina Mountains when the landowners cheated them (which was a common occurrence).  Now my grandmother's mother is descended from a German clan that came over a little later, though when I don't know.  She is mixed with both Cherokee and Creek Indians, though I don't know how much.

So that's me, American mutt.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2012, 09:42:54 PM »

German, Russian and Hungarian.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: June 05, 2012, 03:52:33 AM »

1/2 Denial, 1/4 Bitterness, 1/4 Recrimination.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #65 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:08 AM »

1/2 Denial, 1/4 Bitterness, 1/4 Recrimination.
Sounds exactly like my family Wink
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies