Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 06:40:13 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  What is your heritage?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What is your heritage?  (Read 1829 times)
morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:06:18 am »
Ignore

Not like ethnicity, but ancestry. Given that most of this forum seem to be white males. :p

Personally, I put "Australian" ancestry for the Census, as my family were here for ages. But....

Dads: His dad's side is English - his grandma was born on a boat from England. His mum's side is Welsh and Irish.

Mum's: Mostly English and Scottish, but she also can trace some vague French ancestry.

Yours?
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:15:20 am »
Ignore

Obviously, I consider myself a Pole by virtue of birth, citizenship and culture, although my family originally came from Lusatia hundreds of years ago. Naturally, I have mostly Polish DNA after all these years.

I also have a partial Jewish, Lithuanian and Ukrainian heritage.
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 07:24:52 am »
Ignore

I'd say American; some from the Netherlands, some from Germany, a lot from Ireland, a good chunk from England, some from Scotland. So overall, it's just American.

Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 07:38:10 am »
Ignore

Father's father's family is German, and resided in Milwaukee (where I grew up as well) since the late 19th century.  Father's mother's family is half Norwegian and half Swedish, and resided in the Chicago and/or Milwaukee area for at least ~100 years as well.

My mother is Canadian (she was born in Peterborough, Ontario), and that side of the family is an unholy mix of everything from the British Isles (English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish...am I leaving anything out?), though English is the biggest contributor.

On a related note, I have a family tree somewhere that traces my father's father's family in Germany back to the 18th century, and there's this one generation with about 4 or 5 sons all with names that are a variation on Johann or Johannes (with different middle names), and 4 or 5 daughters all with names that are variations on Anna or Maria (with different middle names).

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 08:13:07 am »
Ignore

I also put Australian, but ethnically mixed Anglo-celtic.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18:38 am »
Ignore

Dad's side: German and English
Mom's side: Irish and Italian

Also, it's so R-Money to unabashedly ruin a thousand dollar suit with ice water and laugh about it.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 08:35:12 am »
Ignore

Dad's side is all German.  Mom's side is mostly English with a little mutt for flavor.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:00:28 am »
Ignore

100% from the island of Great Britain - England, Scotland and Wales. My mother's ancestors are all from England so far as I know, Dad via his mother Scotland (great, great grandfather was an engineer who lived in Scotland and got a job in Montreal, moved there, eventually formed his own company and built the  steam engine that powered the first steamship that crossed the Atlantic (his last name was Bennet (unusually spelled), so I wonder if the senator from Colorado is a distant relative)) and Wales (the woman Bennet married), and via his father English.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 09:02:21 am by Torie »Logged

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:05:34 am »
Ignore

Greek & Serbian
afleitch
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 09:30:21 am »

Scottish.

I am ethnically homogeonous. My dadís dadís side is Scottish (Leitch), as is my dadís mumís side (MacLachlan). Her family have been living within one mile of each other for at least 250 years. There is some Ulster-Scots blood in there too, which in itself is ethnically Scottish. My mumís dad (Keenan) was of Irish stock, though he himself was third generation Scottish. My mums mum (Allen) is also Scottish. There is some Provencal blood in there, but apart from that thereís nothing much exotic.

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:26:48 am »
Ignore

My dad's family is Prussian, while my mother's is Russian

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 10:27:42 am »
Ignore

My family is like the Sirius Black family, Austrian through and through.

I don't think there was ever any foreigner in my family tree.
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 10:28:54 am »
Ignore

English, Scottish, Irish, German, French, Swiss.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:40:08 am »
Ignore

I'd certainly hope not.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:07 am »
Ignore

I'd certainly hope not.

Why that ?
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:59:07 am »
Ignore

I'd certainly hope not.

Why that ?

Because Gypsy hunts ain't cool.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 11:03:37 am »
Ignore

I'd certainly hope not.

Why that ?

You are in the wrong country. There are hardly any Gypsys here (they are in Hungary).

But you are probably suggesting that if some foreigner were coming into the family, there would be hostility towards him/her. I don't think that would happen.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 11:17:31 am »
Ignore

I'd certainly hope not.

Why that ?

You are in the wrong country. There are hardly any Gypsys here (they are in Hungary).

But you are probably suggesting that if some foreigner were coming into the family, there would be hostility towards him/her. I don't think that would happen.

Nope, just a double entendre.  I was pleased there have never been foreigners in your family tree. So yeah, I make word play about lynchings....
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 11:21:10 am »
Ignore

Greek & Serbian

Two of the countries it is much better to be from, than in, no?  Tongue

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 11:23:36 am »
Ignore

Greek & Serbian

Two of the countries it is much better to be from, than in, no?  Tongue

That's why my grandparents fled both of those countries, Torie Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:48:54 am by Infract You! »Logged
Senator bore
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 11:48:14 am »
Ignore

Dad's side: One half is originally from Ireland (my great great grandfather allegedly fled Ireland because he was caught stealing horses from the cavalry) so are staunch Catholics, the other are as far as I know Presbyterians who have been in Scotland since forever with at least part of them coming from Arran. There is also a random French relative from Lille but that was a long time ago.

Mum's side: One half have lived in the same village in the south of Italy for at least 300 and probably more years, although there is an exotic tale of a distant ancestor who came from the north. The others are from the greater Manchester area but I don't know much about them.
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:48 pm »
Ignore

Dad's dad's dad's family was largely German.
Dad's dad's mom's family was from the South since forever (at latest the late 1700s), so probably mostly Scotch-Irish.
Dad's mom's family was from the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast since forever (some since the mid-1600s), so some combination of English, French Huguenot, Dutch, Scottish, Irish, German, and all that jazz.
Mom's dad's family was largely Irish Catholic, including some from County Waterford.
Mom's mom's family was largely Northern Irish Presbyterian, though they lived close to the border and some were from what's now Ireland.

It was a great family scandal when my mom's dad married my mom's mom.

I'm on 23andMe and have both my parents involved, so I can also give estimates based on that.  23andMe estimates that my dad has ancestry in about this order:
1. UK
2. Germany
3. Ireland
4. Norway
5. Italy
6. Sweden
7. Poland
8. the Netherlands

My mom, meanwhile, has:
1. UK
2. Ireland
3. Sweden
4. Spain
5. Poland
6. Norway
7. France

Note that the UK and Ireland nearly swamp out all the rest of everything, while my dad's ancestry is much more diffusely arranged, in line with the fact that my mom's ancestors are much more recently in the US than my dad's.  There are also a variety of other considerations at play here, but I won't go into them too much Tongue

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »
Ignore

Dad's mostly German, but his grandfather was Irish. Mom's also mostly German, but her grandfather was Welsh.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 02:03:28 pm »
Ignore

Greek of course
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:11 pm »
Ignore

My father is from fairly generic Midwestern stock (German and Irish) and my mom is Mexican but has a wonderful tapestry of roots there including a mestizo line that extends back to the early colonial days, full-blooded Chichimeca ancestors that entered the family line in the early 1900s and a Galician emigrant grandfather.

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout