Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:38:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38
Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 74139 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: June 13, 2012, 05:37:11 PM »
« edited: June 13, 2012, 06:03:58 PM by 中国共产党=criminals »

Let's remember one thing, folks. If Germany beats Denmark in the last game (which is obviously very likely) Holland only has to beat Portugal by 2 goals to go through. So they're not totally done  yet.
Talking about unlikly results. If Denmark loses with one goal against Germany, while Portugal loses with exactly 1 goal to the Netherlands and Denmark scores at least one goal more than Portugal we are through.

Fx.

Netherlands-Portugal 1-0
Germany-Denmark 2-1

Weird. But not out of the question. I think the Germans will take it easy if they have a 2-1 lead and not push too hard for a third goal.
At the same time Dutch defenders will not make the same mistakes we did and their strikers and offensive midfielders have not been impressive.

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #326 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:55 PM »

I was in Winterswijk, Netherlands last Thursday (only a 30 minute drive from my grandma), and took this picture with my phone. Thought now would be a good time to share this and mock them!

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #327 on: June 13, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »

This is awesome: Mario Gomez has been in possession for twenty-two seconds so far the entire tournament, and has scored three goals in that time. Unbelievable.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #328 on: June 13, 2012, 06:41:27 PM »

Tomorrow's do or die for Ireland, and there's a 90% chance it's die. Hopefully Italy can beat Croatia, 50/50 imo, which means a draw keeps us in it. We'll probably lose 3-0 though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #329 on: June 14, 2012, 07:11:20 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 07:58:08 AM by Gustaf »

Let's remember one thing, folks. If Germany beats Denmark in the last game (which is obviously very likely) Holland only has to beat Portugal by 2 goals to go through. So they're not totally done  yet.
Talking about unlikly results. If Denmark loses with one goal against Germany, while Portugal loses with exactly 1 goal to the Netherlands and Denmark scores at least one goal more than Portugal we are through.

Fx.

Netherlands-Portugal 1-0
Germany-Denmark 2-1

Weird. But not out of the question. I think the Germans will take it easy if they have a 2-1 lead and not push too hard for a third goal.
At the same time Dutch defenders will not make the same mistakes we did and their strikers and offensive midfielders have not been impressive.

If Netherlands beat Portugal and Germany beats Denmark, everyone but Germany ends up on equal points.

First tie-breaker is then goal difference from the games between everyone but Germany. Current standing:

Denmark: 0
Netherlands: -1
Portugal: +1

Denmark obviously won't change here. Since this assumes Netherlands beating Portugal, they either do it by more than 1 goal and go through or by 1 goal and then everyone is tied on this measure.

Second tie-breaker is highest number of goals scored in games excluding Germany.

Denmark: 3
Portugal: 3
Netherlands: 0

If this is to be relevant Netherlands has to beat Portugal by no more than 1 goal. Which leaves 2 possibilities -
           Netherlands wins 1-0 --> Denmark and Portugal tied
           Netherlands win by 1 with Portugal scoring --> Portugal goes through

Third tie-breaker is superior goal difference in all matches. Again, for this to be relevant Netherlands has to win by 1 against Portugal so we know that

Portugal: -1

Denmark is currently at 0 but since this assumes them losing against Germany they would have -1 (at least). So they can at best tie on this statistic.

4th tie-breaker is most goals scored in all matches. Here, again, it assumes that Netherlands beat Portugal 1-0. So we know that

Netherlands: 2

Which means that Denmark (currently at 3) would need to score 1 goal to go through on this.

The 5th tie-breaker is UEFA coefficient. This is obviously Holland's.

Note: I'm not sure what the rules are if 1 of the 3 teams is not tied on one of this. I've been assuming they're still counted in the next step.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #330 on: June 14, 2012, 07:31:51 AM »

Fx.

Netherlands-Portugal 1-0
Germany-Denmark 2-1

If Netherlands beat Portugal and Germany beats Denmark, everyone but Germany ends up on equal points.

First tie-breaker is then goal difference from the games between everyone but Germany. Current standing:

Denmark obviously won't change here. Since this assumes Netherlands beating Portugal, they either do it by more than 1 goal and go through or by 1 goal and then everyone is tied on this measure.

Second tie-breaker is highest number of goals scored in games excluding Germany.

If this is to be relevant Netherlands has to beat Portugal by no more than 1 goal. Which leaves 2 possibilities -

Third tie-breaker is superior goal difference in all matches. Again, for this to be relevant Netherlands has to win by 1 against Portugal so we know that

Portugal: 0

Denmark is currently at 0 but since this assumes them losing against Germany they would have -1 (at least). So they can at best tie on this statistic.

4th tie-breaker is most goals scored in all matches. Here, again, it assumes that Netherlands beat Portugal 1-0. So we know that

Which means that Denmark (currently at 3) would need to score 1 goal to go through on this.

Note: I'm not sure what the rules are if 1 of the 3 teams is not tied on one of this. I've been assuming they're still counted in the next step.
Yeah, the entire Danish sports press got that wrong.. Rule change in March. so we need points.

But we will just have to uphold that time honoured Danish tradition: Getting the necessary points when we absolutely have to... We have won a lot of matches we werent supposed to stand a chance in.

How do you rate the Swedish chances?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #331 on: June 14, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »

I think Sweden is totally done. I actually expected us to fail at going through even with a win against the Ukraine. My expectation was that we would tie them.

I think they will be stronger this game than the last one and I don't think a tie against England is totally out of the question. If that happens the media will hype the possibility of beating France in the last game but I fully expect France to crush us.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #332 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:08 AM »

Prandelli is starting Balotelli again. My blood pressure is through the roof...
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #333 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

Fx.

Netherlands-Portugal 1-0
Germany-Denmark 2-1

Portugal: -1

I think that in such a case, after one of the tied teams in eliminated (Netherlands after step 2), the tie-breaking criteria are reapplied to the other two teams - eliminating Denmark due to their having lost their game to Portugal.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #334 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:39 PM »

Despite having not one, but two satellite packages (one for France, another for Italy) I found no channel broadcasting the mathc. Sad

How is it going ?
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2012, 12:26:04 PM »

Despite having not one, but two satellite packages (one for France, another for Italy) I found no channel broadcasting the mathc. Sad

How is it going ?
1-0 to Italy, Croatia having a strong second half.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »

awesome goal
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2012, 12:30:16 PM »

Damn it! Sad
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

Italy really should be able to hold onto leads like that...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2012, 12:33:56 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #340 on: June 14, 2012, 12:51:06 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #341 on: June 14, 2012, 12:58:04 PM »

Eliminating Italy from the tournament is all in Ireland's hands now, and as we all know, Trapattoni has some experience when it comes to knocking Italy out of tournaments.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #342 on: June 14, 2012, 12:59:57 PM »

We never make things easy. Never.
argentarius
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #343 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »

Well, this means we need to win twice to stay in, but it gives us a great chance at being spoilers.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #344 on: June 14, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »

Where actually is Puyol ? Didn't see him anywhere yet.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #345 on: June 14, 2012, 01:44:06 PM »

Puyol is injured, he's not at the tournament.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: June 14, 2012, 01:50:33 PM »

GOLOLOLOL.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #347 on: June 14, 2012, 01:53:14 PM »

Looks like Ireland is in for a trashing ...
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #348 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:47 PM »

Looks like Ireland is in for a trashing ...

Yeah, Spain is toying with Ireland right now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: June 14, 2012, 02:21:14 PM »

LOL.

Referee fouls an Irish player.

Refuses to give himself a yellow card ... Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 38