Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:20:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 38
Author Topic: Euro 2012 - Official Discussion Thread  (Read 74209 times)
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: June 16, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
« edited: June 16, 2012, 05:29:37 PM by Senator Seatown »

edit: oops
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #451 on: June 16, 2012, 07:38:12 PM »

Let's be honest, both Group A teams will be annihilated by the Group B teams.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #452 on: June 17, 2012, 12:35:50 AM »

Germany vs. Greece would be fun --- Smiley
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #453 on: June 17, 2012, 03:50:00 AM »

Beating Greece would be quite amusing Smiley
Greece beating Germany would be even more amusing.
Yes. And all of non-German Europe would be cheering for the Greeks.

No they wouldn't...

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #454 on: June 17, 2012, 03:55:35 AM »

No they wouldn't...

Yeah, I think most people here in the North would support Germany both politically and in the football sense.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #455 on: June 17, 2012, 04:00:36 AM »

lolrussia.

Attempts 31-8
On Goal 2-2
Attempts from outside the box 19-2

Possession 69%
won duels 46% (whatever is the term used in English here?)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #456 on: June 17, 2012, 05:59:44 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2012, 06:19:01 AM by 中国共产党=criminals »

No they wouldn't...

Yeah, I think most people here in the North would support Germany both politically and in the football sense.

Sympathy for the underdogs + historical animosity towards Germany = pro Greece, even if you don't like the way they play football or their politics.

Sweden is probably not typical in this matter because you have never been occupied by/at war with  the Germans like most other European nations.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #457 on: June 17, 2012, 06:02:19 AM »

Always back the underdog.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #458 on: June 17, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »

No they wouldn't...

Sympathy for the underdogs + historical animosity towards Germany = pro Greece, even if you don't like the way they play football or their politics.

Sweden is probably not typical in this matter because you have never been occupied by/at war with  the Germans like most other European nations.

To be honest, I doubt the war has much to do with modern football sympathies, lol.

Think it has more to do with wanting a primary competitor to be gone.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #459 on: June 17, 2012, 06:36:01 AM »

Apart from drunken Ingerland fans.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #460 on: June 17, 2012, 06:38:59 AM »

Do they come any other way? Wink
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #461 on: June 17, 2012, 08:52:28 AM »

And French TV trailers makers, La Guerre de 100 ans!! On va bouter les Anglais!! is back every 6 nations tournament here, ah well, that's overall the case for rugby though, because it's France2 who has most of the broadcasting rights for rugby, and France2 rugby journalists are a bit...hmm...let's just say 'in their own world'. TF1 who has most of the most popular football matches is more in a 'gladiatorian style' or something like that.

Speaking about broadcasting rights, 'Bein sport', the new Qatari French sport TV created a few months ago (Al Jazeera group, but I guess you can't really open a TV in France with an Arab name if you care about not being lynched), already became the 3rd buyer of football matches. Wanna watch? 11€ per month! Damn it, yesterday all matches were there. IT'S TRUE THE ARAB INVASION IS HERE! Seriously, Qatar is buying France like a bulimic is eating some of those empty cream cakes nowadays (they should beware, the second phase of a bulimia is...).

C'mon, France is such an impressive country and all that, but we're not all the non-German Europe. Ah well, I'd have the feeling French don't really give a penny about that, the non-German Europe has only major teams, so they mainly care about themselves, Northern Europe mainly has Germany, so they do with what they have. I'd even have the feeling French could prefer playing Germany, which I want! (Ok, seeing Greece defeating them would be fun too). And since we would obviously finish 1st of our group, and same for Germany, bloody damn it, we couldn't have Germany in final like I thought before, we will have to put up with the fact to beat them only in semis, ah well, that's life...(which would make a 1982 revenge still more accurate!).

Anyways, nowadays, anybody in the non-German Europe hates Germany! Grin

GO LATIN!
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #462 on: June 17, 2012, 09:02:30 AM »

And French TV trailers makers, La Guerre de 100 ans!! On va bouter les Anglais!! is back every 6 nations tournament here, ah well, that's overall the case for rugby though, because it's France2 who has most of the broadcasting rights for rugby, and France2 rugby journalists are a bit...hmm...let's just say 'in their own world'. TF1 who has most of the most popular football matches is more in a 'gladiatorian style' or something like that.

Speaking about broadcasting rights, 'Bein sport', the new Qatari French sport TV created a few months ago (Al Jazeera group, but I guess you can't really open a TV in France with an Arab name if you care about not being lynched), already became the 3rd buyer of football matches. Wanna watch? 11€ per month! Damn it, yesterday all matches were there. IT'S TRUE THE ARAB INVASION IS HERE! Seriously, Qatar is buying France like a bulimic is eating some of those empty cream cakes nowadays (they should beware, the second phase of a bulimia is...).

C'mon, France is such an impressive country and all that, but we're not all the non-German Europe. Ah well, I'd have the feeling French don't really give a penny about that, the non-German Europe has only major teams, so they mainly care about themselves, Northern Europe mainly has Germany, so they do with what they have. I'd even have the feeling French could prefer playing Germany, which I want! (Ok, seeing Greece defeating them would be fun too). And since we would obviously finish 1st of our group, and same for Germany, bloody damn it, we couldn't have Germany in final like I thought before, we will have to put up with the fact to beat them only in semis, ah well, that's life...(which would make a 1982 revenge still more accurate!).

GO LATIN!
Were you drunk when you made this post? Much of it doesnt make sense.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #463 on: June 17, 2012, 09:08:32 AM »

No they wouldn't...

Sweden is probably not typical in this matter because you have never been occupied by/at war with  the Germans like most other European nations.

To be honest, I doubt the war has much to do with modern football sympathies, lol.

Thats a bit naive. WW2 is a root cause of a strong underlying (but rarely openly expressed) anti-German feeling in many European countries, and that sentiment obviously influneces the way you preceive football matches. The "anybody but Germany" sentiment is quite strong and is not just about sports rivalry.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #464 on: June 17, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

GO LATIN!
Were you drunk when you made this post? Much of it doesnt make sense.

Only very few of his posts make any sense.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #465 on: June 17, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

Nah, that's the French style.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #466 on: June 17, 2012, 09:37:02 AM »

No they wouldn't...

Thats a bit naive. WW2 is a root cause of a strong underlying (but rarely openly expressed) anti-German feeling in many European countries, and that sentiment obviously influneces the way you preceive football matches. The "anybody but Germany" sentiment is quite strong and is not just about sports rivalry.

Yes. My (Italian) Grandfather is normally a neutral, (as in he'll always support the better team and even when he does support someone is quite mild about it) was really anti Bayern in the champions league despite Chelsea being one of the worst footballing (in both senses) teams in the competition, and justified it by making a few choice comments about the Nazis. It's worth also noting that he was by far the oldest of the group watching and combining that with the recent euro crisis, which has done a lot to raise people's opinions of Germany, it's possible that that attitude is slowly going away.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #467 on: June 17, 2012, 10:05:30 AM »

No they wouldn't...

You'll notice that Germany's popularity in other countries is quite high, equal to other European nations at least. See various opinion polls, at least ones not conducted in Greece.

I'm sure there are still some bigots out there, but I seriously doubt, based on statistics and my own experiences, that this is a major problem or occurance.
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #468 on: June 17, 2012, 10:30:50 AM »

I have no clue how it is, but a French journalist covering the Germany-Netherlands match for France Info (French public news radio) said that Nazi occupation during WW2 remained a significant enough explanation to the kind of traditional 'hatred' there could be between the 2 countries on football matches.

Which kinda surprised me in regard of France (which, in case people ignored it, had also been occupied by the Nazi regime), given that polls show, and even recently, that French have a pretty good opinion of Germans (well, seems people here have always been fascinated by the 'efficient and serious strength' of Germans/Germany, but indeed people would by no means be German, they don't want to be 'that dull and unstyley!'), and effectively there is no problem with football matches and Germany here, and the country succeeded to keep a rather good image, so far.

(hmm, in fact this is not totally true, the 1982 World Cup semi-final in Sevilla has been felt like an act of war here ^^, actually, with the allegedly drugged Schumacher goal keeper as the big bad nasty Prussian, in which we were the nice despoiled guys - as always in any conflict with Germany indeed...

...but still, time and successes of France in between might have helped, never been a big hatred and big supporter fights after that)

Ah and also, France might not be the best example to compare, since, after all our 'historical encounters', there is a kind of injonction in the collective unconscious that says 'we have to be friends!'.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #469 on: June 17, 2012, 10:35:19 AM »

The political discussion ends. Now.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #470 on: June 17, 2012, 10:39:35 AM »

I have no clue how it is, but a French journalist covering the Germany-Netherlands match for France Info (French public news radio) said that Nazi occupation during WW2 remained a significant enough explanation to the kind of traditional 'hatred' there could be between the 2 countries on football matches.

There is a historic hatred in football between us and Holland, but it seems to have seriously died down over the years.

A good deal of people I know...and I...were for the Dutch against the Spanish 2 years ago, actually.

Helps, of course, that the Dutch players don't seem to be spitting on peopke anymore, of course.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #471 on: June 17, 2012, 12:35:08 PM »

pretty simple
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #472 on: June 17, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »

The Dutch will win this by two goals.
minionofmidas