Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:11:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Frank Bruni NYT on Obama: He doesn't seem in command.  (Read 10425 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »

Sure. We all know when a Republican candidate is using issues other than economy it's completely fine, but when a Democratic candidate is doing the same, that's a ploy to divert attention away.

Naturally, when George H. W. Bush, for example, was talking about school prayers during his campain in 1988, that was fine. When your beloved Mitt Romney was trying to cast himself more liberal on social issues than Ted Kennedy in 1994, that was fine too. But when Obama is endorsing gay marriage: OMG CONSPIRACY TO DIVERT OUR ATTENTION!

So, Winfield, I don't know whether you're an utter hypocrite, disconnected from reality or just enjoy your trolling. I sincerely hope it's the latter. Either way, it's just pathetic.
milhouse24
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2012, 11:00:07 AM »

I actually read an article cited on a left-leaning political website that I'm fond of despite it's bias, that it does indeed appear that it's Obama off message, not Romney.

President Barack H. Obama consistently is off message. One day it's class warfare, the next it's war on women, the next day it's politicizing bin laden's death. I've heard some argue that Bush politicized 9/11. Indeed, 9/11 was a giant part of his Presidency, but you didn't see ads saying, "George Bush captured Saddam Hussein and John Kerry wouldn't have."

This is why I enjoy being a Republican so much. When I say what I truly feel, I often feel as though a majority of Americans agree with me. No matter how hard-hitting and slap-in-the-face blunt it may be, I always seem to be able to be free and clear with my beliefs.

On the other hand, it does seem that Democratic candidates, especially for national office, have difficulty being 100% truthful in their beliefs. This is why Barack Obama took so long to support gay marriage. Those of us who oppose it have been open and bluntly honest for years. You may disagree, but atleast we didn't cower to the slim minority of people who support liberal causes in fear of losing votes.

Are you really saying in the same breath, that hardly anyone supports gay marriage and that Obama is only supporting it to get votes?

Obama is supporting gay marriage to raise millions of dollars from Hollywood liberals like Clooney.  He wants to excite lazy college students into campaigning for him this fall.  He's hoping the Youth vote will come out again to vote for him, because Obama knows that the over 30 adults will be voting for Romney. 
milhouse24
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »

where that Politico guy go?  Did he graduate from college or something.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:52 AM »

I actually read an article cited on a left-leaning political website that I'm fond of despite it's bias, that it does indeed appear that it's Obama off message, not Romney.

President Barack H. Obama consistently is off message. One day it's class warfare, the next it's war on women, the next day it's politicizing bin laden's death. I've heard some argue that Bush politicized 9/11. Indeed, 9/11 was a giant part of his Presidency, but you didn't see ads saying, "George Bush captured Saddam Hussein and John Kerry wouldn't have."

This is why I enjoy being a Republican so much. When I say what I truly feel, I often feel as though a majority of Americans agree with me. No matter how hard-hitting and slap-in-the-face blunt it may be, I always seem to be able to be free and clear with my beliefs.

On the other hand, it does seem that Democratic candidates, especially for national office, have difficulty being 100% truthful in their beliefs. This is why Barack Obama took so long to support gay marriage. Those of us who oppose it have been open and bluntly honest for years. You may disagree, but atleast we didn't cower to the slim minority of people who support liberal causes in fear of losing votes.

Are you really saying in the same breath, that hardly anyone supports gay marriage and that Obama is only supporting it to get votes?

Obama is supporting gay marriage to raise millions of dollars from Hollywood liberals like Clooney.  He wants to excite lazy college students into campaigning for him this fall.  He's hoping the Youth vote will come out again to vote for him, because Obama knows that the over 30 adults will be voting for Romney. 

How does he know this?
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »

well, with today's jobs numbers, Mitt's strategy has gotten much more effective. I'm starting to get worried.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 12:11:37 PM »

The May jobs report is not good, but it not a disaster, and of course it does not reflect the boost the conomy got this month from declining gas prices.  It does make the prospect of an Obama landslide more remote, but I never did think that was gonna happen.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 12:36:20 PM »

I would say it was a disaster, and represents the cherry on a Obama's diarrhea sundae that was May 2012.

An unemployment uptick and an underwhelming jobs report is not how you want to kick off election season.

An Obama landslide has always been out of the question, though the odds of a landslide loss increased because of today's awful report.

If you're a Democrat, here's hoping June will be better.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:19 PM »

I would say it was a disaster, and represents the cherry on a Obama's diarrhea sundae that was May 2012.

An unemployment uptick and an underwhelming jobs report is not how you want to kick off election season.

An Obama landslide has always been out of the question, though the odds of a landslide loss increased because of today's awful report.

If you're an AMERICAN, here's hoping June will be better.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:19 PM »

Obama has a secret weapon tho: Donald Trump.

Yes, I wish Trump would go to deepest, darkest Peru, with no communication devices, until December.
Are you implying that Peru is a third-world country that has no communication? In case you missed it, I am implying you are racist.

He's implying Trump should go to a remote cave in the Andes and not leave till the election is over.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:57 PM »

Well, it's certainly not the final nail in Obama's coffin. I mean, there are still five more jobs reports before the election and things could get better. But the trend since April has not been good and a continuing fiscal crisis in Europe could make things worse.

If this happens, Obama can certainly try to deflect the blame on congress, wall street, big business, or even Europe, but it's a tall order and hasn't been done effectively since Truman.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2012, 02:04:26 PM »

It may work. This is Obama's economy now, and while it looked like things were improving early in the year, it's clear we are losing steam, and fast. The left may dismiss it very quickly but Barack hasn't solved our problems. The economic numbers coming out now are not good at all.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »

If you're an AMERICAN, here's hoping June will be better.
If you're a HUMAN, here's hoping June will be better.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »

More bad news because of the May jobs reports.  Not only did it also decrease March and April, but the NYSE has also surrendered all of its gains for the entire year.  5 months of gains in the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 all lost.  The faint hope of an Obama landslide has been extinguished.  If anything, if the trend continues, we could very possibly be looking at a still unlikely, yet growing, possibility of a Romney landslide.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2012, 02:28:59 PM »

More bad news because of the May jobs reports.  Not only did it also decrease March and April, but the NYSE has also surrendered all of its gains for the entire year.  5 months of gains in the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 all lost.  The faint hope of an Obama landslide has been extinguished.  If anything, if the trend continues, we could very possibly be looking at a still unlikely, yet growing, possibility of a Romney landslide.
Since when is 270 to 280 EV is a landslide?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:44 PM »

More bad news because of the May jobs reports.  Not only did it also decrease March and April, but the NYSE has also surrendered all of its gains for the entire year.  5 months of gains in the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 all lost.  The faint hope of an Obama landslide has been extinguished.  If anything, if the trend continues, we could very possibly be looking at a still unlikely, yet growing, possibility of a Romney landslide.

It is likely Romney will win.  It is unlikely, but a growing possibility that Romney will have a small landslide (over 300).
timothyinMD

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 03:47:12 PM »

The notion of Obama invincibility was always a joke
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 03:56:23 PM »

Well, Obama is trying to push divisive unpopular social policies like homosexual marriage while job growth is failing. Who is surprised?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »

More bad news because of the May jobs reports.  Not only did it also decrease March and April, but the NYSE has also surrendered all of its gains for the entire year.  5 months of gains in the Dow, Nasdaq, and S&P 500 all lost.  The faint hope of an Obama landslide has been extinguished.  If anything, if the trend continues, we could very possibly be looking at a still unlikely, yet growing, possibility of a Romney landslide.

It is likely Romney will win.  It is unlikely, but a growing possibility that Romney will have a small landslide (over 300).
He wrote off PA, I don't think there is any way he will get over 300 after doing that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 04:12:53 PM »

He wrote off PA, I don't think there is any way he will get over 300 after doing that.

Did you not read the word "unlikely"?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 04:42:20 PM »

where that Politico guy go?  Did he graduate from college or something.

He secured the nomination for Mittens, so now his work is done.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

No, not really. But I would have used a different adjective.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2012, 05:20:34 PM »

No, not really. But I would have used a different adjective.

That's fine.  Another adjective could be used, yes, but I still stand by my prediction that we are going to be swearing in the 45th President of the United States Willard "Mitt" Romney on Sunday, 20 January 2013.  Of course, just like in sports, it doesn't really matter if you win with 270 EV's or you win with 320 EV's, the fact is you still win.  Your political capital is less with a 270 nail biter than it is with 300+ EV's, but that doesn't affect your victory.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:56 PM »

Obama has a secret weapon tho: Donald Trump.

Yes, I wish Trump would go to deepest, darkest Peru, with no communication devices, until December.
Are you implying that Peru is a third-world country that has no communication? In case you missed it, I am implying you are racist.

Then you, sir, do not comprehend my statement, nor do you know anything about  my abhorrence of racism. 

Let me explain this to you.

Trump should go to Peru until December, and Trump, note I said TRUMP, should not be given any communication devices to use while in Peru, therefore, he will be unable to communicate any more of his outlandish statements to the U.S. during the remainder of the campaign.

And I find your accusation of racism to be personally insulting.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »

Sure. We all know when a Republican candidate is using issues other than economy it's completely fine, but when a Democratic candidate is doing the same, that's a ploy to divert attention away.

Naturally, when George H. W. Bush, for example, was talking about school prayers during his campain in 1988, that was fine. When your beloved Mitt Romney was trying to cast himself more liberal on social issues than Ted Kennedy in 1994, that was fine too. But when Obama is endorsing gay marriage: OMG CONSPIRACY TO DIVERT OUR ATTENTION!

So, Winfield, I don't know whether you're an utter hypocrite, disconnected from reality or just enjoy your trolling. I sincerely hope it's the latter. Either way, it's just pathetic.

No, Kalwejt, what is pathetic is Obama's handling of the U.S. economy.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2012, 12:17:18 AM »

I just love how some Republicans (specifically Mitt Romney) love to talk trash about the economy right now while offering no alternatives except the Bush ideas, which were how the recession began in the first place or saying Obama ideas(such as the auto bailout) were their ideas.  Its true we are no where near where we want to be economically but objective analysis easily concludes we are FAR better off than we were when the President first took office.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies