Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:14:18 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Obama says he supports same sex marriage, but what do Americans think?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Obama says he supports same sex marriage, but what do Americans think?  (Read 1231 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »
Ignore

http://theothermccain.com/2012/05/15/distraction-tactic-backfires-romney-gains-in-polls-after-obama-gay-shift/

A New York Times article indicates voters are starting to see through Obama's motives.

Most Americans suspect that President Obama was motivated by politics, not policy, when he declared his support for same-sex marriage, according to a new poll released on Monday, suggesting that the unplanned way it was announced shaped public attitudes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:46:27 pm by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »Logged

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

OBAMA WORSE THAN DUBYA!  WHO KNEW?
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »
Ignore

Words fail me...

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 11:45:10 pm »
Ignore

Words fail me...

Finally!

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 11:47:18 pm »
Ignore

Romney has never done something for political reasons.
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:11 pm »
Ignore

I'm always amazed by this argument. "You just support big social advancements in minority rights that have historically done very poorly at the ballot box and until recently the majority of Americans were against because you're a political opportunist!"

Is the issue here that he hid it for political reasons up until this point? I just don't get this stupid line of reasoning or how it's apparently so pervasive among Republicans. Someone please explain what the accusation is, here, or how it has any internal logic.

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:52:18 pm »
Ignore

Yes consider it a victory that your hackery has silenced me for now...

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:00:18 am »
Ignore

Actually, I think you mean my logic and spot on analysis.

July 2 , 2014

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:01:18 am »
Ignore

Actually, I think you mean my logic and spot on analysis.

No, I really don't

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:19:51 am »
Ignore

Winfield, you of all people most certainly do not want to be attacking a politician for apparently shifting positions on an issue for the sake of political expediency.

Real America demands to know.
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 06:05:00 am »
Ignore

Winfield, you of all people most certainly do not want to be attacking a politician for apparently shifting positions on an issue for the sake of political expediency.

Particularly the candidate who promised to be more liberal on gay rights than Ted Kennedy in 1994.
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:36 am »
Ignore

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 07:21:15 am »
Ignore

This is the true measure of how far we've come as a nation. In like five years, the prime talking point from Republicans about people who support gay marriage has gone from, 'It will destroy society via turtle [inks]ing,' to, 'Oh, of course you're for it. You'll say anything popular to get re-elected.' That is progress.
- Jon Stewart
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 07:30:22 am by memphis »Logged

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I will get up and move around every now and then so I reduce the chances to get hit with another Grade 8 headache in the morning.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 08:10:53 am »
Ignore

Winfield you can't even talk about political expediency if you support Mitt Romney. 

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:20 am »
Ignore

Forty years from now, Republicans are going to cite Bill Weld against conservative southern Dems to prove that they were really the part of equality who made same-sex marriage possible.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 10:03:29 am »
Ignore

The article you linked to is pretty weaksauce, considering the relatively decent amount of data out there post-decision.

n/c
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 10:41:13 am »
Ignore

The article you linked to is pretty weaksauce, considering the relatively decent amount of data out there post-decision.

To be fair, he does have a point. We'll just have to wait and see if there are more polls like in CO/NV/IA recently.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Long titles annoy me
The Obamanation
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
Ignore

I once listened to the radio and they said that Obama's daughters have friends with gay parents, and that Obama annouced his support because of them.

I imagine hyphenation, for both spouses, as a sort of custom would very quickly make us all sound like a bunch of bizarrely named English aristocrats. If Peter Flynn marries Beatrice Mendez and has a kid named Anthony, who in turn marries Alice Glazowski-Chanut, their kid would be named Colin Mendez-Flynn-Glazowski-Chanut, who would then marry Beth Harper-Zhang-Rothman-Wald, and their kid would be named...
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 09:24:21 pm »
Ignore

I once listened to the radio and they said that Obama's daughters have friends with gay parents, and that Obama annouced his support because of them.

Oh, that's all America needs in these trying times, when we need a President Americans expect decisive leadership from, instead, what we get is a President who announces that he supports gay marriage, one of the most divisive and polarizing social issues ever in the history of the nation, based on the wishes of his two young daughters, as delightful as they are, who have friends with gay parents.

America deserves better than this.

July 2 , 2014

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 09:30:11 pm »
Ignore

Oh, that's all America needs in these trying times, when we need a President Americans expect decisive leadership from, instead, what we get is a President who announces that he supports gay marriage, one of the most divisive and polarizing social issues ever in the history of the nation, based on the wishes of his two young daughters, as delightful as they are, who have friends with gay parents.

Gosh, Mr. Winfield! I didn't know it was illegal to decide your opinions based on personal experience! Guess I'd better recalculate all of my core beliefs.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 09:54:46 pm »
Ignore

Every politican has done something like that, name one that HASN'T.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 10:02:21 pm »
Ignore

That's all fine, and I do not have a problem with that,  but I am talking about leadership, and in this particular scenario, I don't see that as leadership, basing your decision on the fact your young children, who are very impressionable, have friends who have gay parents.

July 2 , 2014

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 11:40:34 pm »
Ignore

That's all fine, and I do not have a problem with that,  but I am talking about leadership, and in this particular scenario, I don't see that as leadership, basing your decision on the fact your young children, who are very impressionable, have friends who have gay parents.

Very impressionable, friends with gay parents... So you're saying that his daughters were corrupted by TEH GAY AGENDA!!!1!1!1!!! into believing in equality because they saw these people are just like everybody else?

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 3.35, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 11:50:02 pm »
Ignore

Nah, I'd say their liberal school teachers are behind it, as is the case here in Canada. They try to "educate" the social conservative right out of you.

HappyWarrior
hannibal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 12:20:17 am »
Ignore

Oh you mean leadership!  Like a guy saying he is for gay marriage and that he is more liberal than Ted Kennedy....Then a few years later runs for a different office and says he is a conservative?  How great a leadership style!

"Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved."
-William Jennings Bryan
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 12:29:26 am »
Ignore

Don't get cute.

I said nothing about corruption, I didn't even imply it, you are the one putting your own spin on what I said.

I am talking about leadership, and if that is something you choose not to understand, that is up to you.      

July 2 , 2014

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout