Public employee union membership in Wisconsin has crashed in the last year (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:40:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Public employee union membership in Wisconsin has crashed in the last year (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Public employee union membership in Wisconsin has crashed in the last year  (Read 9165 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 02, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »

Unions overreached and have now had their hands slapped by the people....lets see how they react.  Defensive and angry like the posters in this thread is my guess.  You can't expect people like that to learn from their mistakes.

(now comes the part where they try and explain that excessive retirement benefits aren't overreaching or mistakes...oh and insults, always insults)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:11:23 AM »

While I agree in general with Beet here (shocking everyone) in that strong unions are an excellent check against sh**tty working conditions, strong unions are their own worst enemy.  They don't care about the repercusions of their actions, they don't care about corruption inside their own organizations and the people in charge don't even care about their own members.  I certainly don't want unions to die, I think they have their place in a free market system, but they need to be restrained less they kill the golden goose and make toilets out of the eggs.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:04:56 AM »

No, corporations are the unions' worst enemy. You say you think strong unions are a check and have a place, but a 55% fall in membership in one year isn't restraint; it's disembowelment. Actually, I was pretty complacent about Walkerism until seeing this article Torie posted. I haven't always been the friendliest to unionism myself in the past. But this is shocking.

And all this is considering, as I said, unionism is already dead in the private sector. It's already dead in the south. Pretty much the only place it's still alive is in states like Wisconsin and in the public sector. And now, Walker will most likely win the recall leaving the unions totally eviscerated. The Democrats in the future will turn to the Koch Brothers to fund their campaigns.
Unions are still strong (for now) in the North East no?  Still kind of strong in the rust belt (what's left of it).  The teachers unions are still strongish nationally.  If the people still felt the unions were serving them this sh**t wouldn't pass, but the unions have burned any and all the good will they had by constantly doing things the people find heinous.  The jokes about lazy union members didn't come out of a board room of a Fortune 500 company, they came from people observing lazy unions members.  The jokes about corruption and ties to organized crime didn't come from a guy in a suit, they came because unions have historically been corrupt and had ties to organized crime.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:11 AM »

Couldn't I refute your last point by pointing out other places with strong unions that aren't doing as well as Germany?  I know I'll probably get called a racist or something, but perhaps Germany is doing well because it's full of Germans?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 09:53:32 AM »

Couldn't I refute your last point by pointing out other places with strong unions that aren't doing as well as Germany?  I know I'll probably get called a racist or something, but perhaps Germany is doing well because it's full of Germans?

So your argument is that Americans are inferior to Germans?
On average?  Yeah, probably ever so slightly so.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Probably not.  I'm not all that "right" though.  What with my hardcore support of making victimless crimes legal and not voting for the GOP and what not.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:43:36 AM »

Why is it supposedly an inherently bad thing if government workers are paid more than private sector workers?  After all, if basic capitalist theory is correct, higher pay encourages better qualified people to seek out those jobs.  Shouldn't we want the people working in government to be at least as well qualified as an average employee, if not better?

Higher pay is not a problem unless government is unable to weed out employees who are not qualified for the pay they are receiving.  And that is problem no matter what level of pay they receive.
Indeed.  Yet another area where unions fail the people.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies