Sen. Chuck Hagel and Gov. Mitt Romney will win in 2008?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:38:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Sen. Chuck Hagel and Gov. Mitt Romney will win in 2008?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Think this outcome is realistic? (why or why not?)
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Sen. Chuck Hagel and Gov. Mitt Romney will win in 2008?  (Read 4135 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2005, 01:14:49 PM »

Havard Students predict outcome of 2008 Presidential race.

"New Hampshire shall play kingmaker again in 2008, at least according to a group of Harvard students charged with predicting the outcome of the next election. Sen. Chuck Hagel, a Nebraska Republican, will soar to victory because he's the "quintessential New Hampshire candidate," the class wrote.

All you civic junkies out there know perfectly well who this guy is. But the students said he'd overcome a lack of name recognition among average voters and beat out Democratic Sen. Evan Bayh of Indiana in November '08.

The class based its assumptions on the past presidential election, saying Hagel will win the primaries in part because he's frugal and isn't afraid to break ranks with the party establishment - two things Granite Staters value. The class predicts Hagel will even earn the endorsement of another maverick, McCain, who won the New Hampshire primary in 2000.

The class says Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney will share the ticket with Hagel and Virginia Gov. Mark Warner will run with Bayh."

scroll down to "tea leaves":  http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050116/REPOSITORY/501160354/1001/NEWS01
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 01:21:40 PM »

Hopefully the Republicans are foolish enough to nominate someone who said we should consider reinstating the draft.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 01:27:33 PM »

those are two horrible people.

phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 02:42:28 PM »

Did they come up with a map of any sort?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2005, 04:39:49 PM »

Did they come up with a map of any sort?

Not that I saw.  Ill look into it.
M

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2005, 04:54:28 PM »

I would vote for Bayh-Warner without the slightest compunction. But won't happen; Hagel may well get McCain's support and win NH but has zero chance at the nomination; and if he did, Romney would be a ridiculous runningmate.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 04:36:13 PM »

I haven't heard of this Bayh.. but I have heard rumors of Hagel.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 08:22:05 AM »

I haven't heard of this Bayh.. but I have heard rumors of Hagel.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of Bayh coming from Illinois

Bayh's a Democrat, who was Indiana's former Secretary of State , former two-term governor and he's just been re-elected to a second term in the Senate polling more votes in Indiana than GWB

Dave
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:15:20 AM »

Shows how far Harvard has fallen since that buffoon Gergen came along.  They obviously know nothing about the GOP, and are obviously not Republicans, if they think Hagel can win the nomination.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 12:27:39 AM »

Hagel is too independent to be supported by the GOP leadership. Just like McCain in '00, he'd be attacked as a "liberal", and that alone would sink him. I like Hagel- he's very principled and he doesn't always follow the party line- but it's for those reasons that he won't get nominated.
BobOMac2k2

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 01:41:14 AM »

I can tell you right now a no name will not get the nomination.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 01:57:02 AM »

I can tell you right now a no name will not get the nomination.

No-names have a pretty decent track record in the past century.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 03:17:40 AM »

Despite the fact that Romney is one of my favorite candidates right now I'd vote against Hagel in almost any match up.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 03:11:54 PM »

Frist is going to win the Repub. nomination (and if he does, Dems are so screwed).  Just a prediction.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »

Frist is going to win the Repub. nomination (and if he does, Dems are so screwed).  Just a prediction.

Don't understand, Bayh would hammer Frist (that said it could be a pretty darn dull race)...

...indeed Warner, Richardson, Rendell, Kerry, Landrieu even Feingold would all be competitive facing Frist.

If it was not for the dynasty tag "Jeb" Bush would be the GOP strongest candidate instead Bill Owens, George Allen and Mark Sanford would have to be the front runners as things stand though Hagel would potentially do as well as McCain though it would be unlikely that he would be able to win the GOP nomination as he remains outside of the Republican establishment.

Indeed the more I think about it (and someone mentioned this earlier) Sanford may be the strongest Republican candidate.   
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 06:17:59 PM »

Frist would win the general against almost anyone, but he would be an uninspiring President.  Bayh boosters forget that he probably can't win a primary, and his appeal in Indiana is partly (but not entirely) predicated on his lineage.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2005, 02:05:47 PM »

Frist would win the general against almost anyone, but he would be an uninspiring President.  Bayh boosters forget that he probably can't win a primary, and his appeal in Indiana is partly (but not entirely) predicated on his lineage.

The "Kitty-Killer" alone would make him seem at the least odd to most voters... what is more he would be very dull indeed campaigning, though he's getting sparkier, either way i don't think he has the across the board support which Bayh would enjoy.

As for Bayh you forget that his father lost to Dan Quayle! While his name may have helped earlier on in his carrier these days he a well respected moderate local politician in his own right, nothing to do with his lineage.

As i say along with perhaps Jeb and McCain (though he won't run or win the nomination) Sanford is the candidate who worries me... Frist is probably one of the most vulnerable candidates the GOP could put up.         
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2005, 02:12:50 PM »

What makes Frist such a strong candidate?

The fact that he is Majority Leader makes him very weak. Being a Senator alone is a strike, being Majority Leader means it's very difficult to pretend to be bipartisan or moderate.

He's also very boring.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 07:10:40 PM »

Since every Republican is 100% certain Hillary will be the nominee for us (even though I don't think so), I ran this on President Forever as Hillary/Warner against Hagel/Romney.

The result:

PV much closer. Hillary won 50-49, with a margin of a little less than 2 million votes.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2005, 08:28:10 PM »

Since every Republican is 100% certain Hillary will be the nominee for us (even though I don't think so), I ran this on President Forever as Hillary/Warner against Hagel/Romney.
Why would Hillary Clinton win in Missouri, Colorado, and Arizona but not New Mexico? 

New Mexico was a battleground state in 2000 and 2004.  Gore won in 2000.

The other three were written off by Gore and Kerry weeks before the election.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 08:29:53 PM »

If Mitt Romney is the Republican running mate (which sounds like a farfetched scenario), the Democrats should remind Republican voters that he is the governor of Massachusetts, the state they all love to hate.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 09:38:46 PM »

If Mitt Romney is the Republican running mate (which sounds like a farfetched scenario), the Democrats should remind Republican voters that he is the governor of Massachusetts, the state they all love to hate.

And what would that do? Unless the Constitution Party nominates a strong candidate and starts to get Conservative support its not like that would do much good. That would be like telling Democrats that Bill Clinton is from the south, an area that they all love to hate. Would it change their minds, no, would it do anything that would actually help the campaign, no. jhsu you are probably one of the least informed posters on this forum.
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 10:56:42 PM »

Hagal might even be more of a camera hog than McCain.  That's saying a mouth full.  I hate that smug SOB.  He has as much chance of going anywhere at the GOP convention than I do.

If HagaL ran against Hillary I swear I wouldn't vote.  Most Republicans can't stand the guy.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2005, 01:21:51 AM »

Hagal might even be more of a camera hog than McCain.  That's saying a mouth full.  I hate that smug SOB.  He has as much chance of going anywhere at the GOP convention than I do.

If HagaL ran against Hillary I swear I wouldn't vote.  Most Republicans can't stand the guy.

is it because you think he is a hog that you hate the guy or do you hate the guy because you strongly believe in the don't you dare speak out against Dubya philosophy??
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2005, 01:38:02 AM »

Hagel is a great Senator. He's also my favorite Republican. I like that he's not a mouthpiece for the GOP leadership, which seems to be the reason many Republicans don't like him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies