If Euroitis spreads to the U.S. does Romney win the election no matter what?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:37:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Euroitis spreads to the U.S. does Romney win the election no matter what?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Euroitis spreads to the U.S. does Romney win no matter what?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: If Euroitis spreads to the U.S. does Romney win the election no matter what?  (Read 3546 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2012, 03:31:16 PM »

If Euroitis spreads to the United States does Mitt Romney win the Presidential election no matter what?  
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »

As in double-dip recession or depression? Uh, yeah, he'd have a 99% chance of victory.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 04:39:37 PM »

"no matter what" is too much of an extreme.

But he'd have to severely screw up to lose.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 05:18:04 PM »

It was the "no matter what" that forced me to vote No. If America descends into a real depression, instead of the current anemia, Romney almost certainly wins. To lose under those circumstances he'd need to pull a real boneheaded gaffe that alienates a healthy chunk of his potential voters. And that's something he's demonstrated is well within his capabilities.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »

It seems very odd to me that Republicans think that if some Wall Street firms go belly up between now and the election because of their own incompetence that voters will conclude that a former Wall Street CEO is exactly who we need as President.  (Yes, Bain operates out of Boston, not Manhattan, but you know what I mean by Wall Street.)

If a collapse happens and the blame is assigned to Wall Street, its possible that not only does Obama win, but the Democrats regain full control of Congress.

Absent a crisis, the economy will not get bad enough in the few months to make Romney a lock.  It may get bad enough to make him the favorite, or some mild distress in economy might cause gas prices to keep heading down to the region of $2/gal which would probably secure Obama's reelection.

There are quite a number of ways the economy can play out and while most good economic scenarios work to Obama's advantage and most bad ones work to Romney's, it's not as simple as the Republicans who want to ruin the economy in the next few months so that Obama is defeated and GOP can take credit for a recovery at the start of 2013 believe.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 06:19:05 PM »

Yes!
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 06:41:11 PM »

"no matter what" is too much of an extreme.

But he'd have to severely screw up to lose.

This. There are no absolutes in politics, but Romney's chances would increase massively.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 06:43:19 PM »

Unfortunately yes.
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »

No matter what is stretching it greatly, though I still voted yes since he'd really have to screw up to lose under such conditions.

On the other hand, an economic collapse is about the only thing that could really lose this for Obama since Romney is a candidate that's not moderate enough to appeal to the left and not conservative enough (or interesting enough) to motivate the base to come out. Seeing as how Obama and Bernanke have hundreds of ways to, at the very least, delay major economic troubles until after the election, I'd give Obama very good odds at winning.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »

Try to contain your excitement.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »

Good to know you're so enthusiastic for such a situation to arise.

It'd be interesting to be one of the few presidents elected to have it have nothing to do with them.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:57:21 PM »

Hopefully, that will not happen, because it would be very bad for the country in every way.
milhouse24
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 08:14:38 PM »

is euroitis caused by universal health care and gay marriage? 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:36:14 PM »

I love how Republicans want the economy to fall into recession.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »

No no.  It is not that Republicans want the economy to fall into recession, it's simply that with Obama's pathetic handling of the economy, another recession is a possibility.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 10:30:34 PM »

Republicans don't want economic hardship for America (cue snide comments from the left). We're just trying to stop a President whose policies we believe will have a negative impact on America longterm.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 10:56:00 PM »

Moreover, some of us believe that another recession will happen under Obama's counter-productive leadership. It's just a matter of when. And if one is going to happen, wouldn't it be better if it happened early enough that the American people had the chance to Mitt-igate it at the polls?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 11:03:27 PM »

There are no absolutes in politics.  It would make very, very likely for a Romney win, but I voted no because the last three words "no matter what".  If the OP asked "If Euroits spreads to the U.S. does that make a Romney win almost inevitable?" I would have voted yes because of the word "almost".

Just like in the thread asking if Obama wins no matter what, the answer here is "No."
timothyinMD

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 11:05:42 PM »

Kinda like how Democrats openly wanted America to lose the Iraq War to hurt George Bush?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 12:24:38 AM »

There are no absolutes in politics.  It would make very, very likely for a Romney win, but I voted no because the last three words "no matter what".  If the OP asked "If Euroits spreads to the U.S. does that make a Romney win almost inevitable?" I would have voted yes because of the word "almost".

Just like in the thread asking if Obama wins no matter what, the answer here is "No."

This.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 08:10:22 AM »

That's actually sad that you generalize and demonize repubs by associating them with the radicals in their party who'd rather Obama be a one term president than not go into a recession.

Understand that most republicans that I've talked to aren't radicals, but are just people who present alternative views on how to grow the econemy. Hell most repubs I've talked to aren't even neo-cons and realize that to be a true fiscal convertive you can't spend the majority of your budget fighting wars acros the globe. Most republicans I've talked to truly despised G.W.B and considered him the exact opposite of a fiscal conservative. And most repubs I talked to actually agree both the Bank bailout and Auto Bailout were neccesary for the future.
Looking at this election Obama's not being blamed for things outside his control in 2008 but the repubs I know are judgeing him on how strong a recovery he's created and a lot of them are dissapointed and think someone else could be providing a stronger recovery. Does that mean they want another recession? No.

However I don't talk to extremist from both parties but only associate myself with moderates who definitly don't deserve to be in some huge generalization.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 10:26:45 AM »

That's actually sad that you generalize and demonize repubs by associating them with the radicals in their party who'd rather Obama be a one term president than not go into a recession.

The problem is that the mainstream Republicans are not willing to stand up to their radicals when they go crazy.  Exhibit one has to be Romney's unwillingness to confront Donald Trump over his trutherism.  If Romney doesn't even have the spine to stand up to Trump, how can we expect he'll do any better when dealing with the leaders of other countries?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 10:45:45 AM »
« Edited: June 04, 2012, 10:48:22 AM by Purch »

I think that's a problem but I don't think it's the root of the problem. The problem comes from the fact that getting votes matters to politicians more than being morally correct at this point. Romney has made statements that he believes Obama's a citizen and doesn't think his birth should be an issue. The catch is however that his campaign team said that, and Romney wouldn't publicly say that because he doesn't want to appear as "soft" to the portion of the south who strongly believes Obama isn't American. Bill Clinton said something positive about Bain the other day and hundreds of Democrats attacked him on twitter, Bill can openly make comments like that because he's not trying to be elected but it shows that hostility amoung your base dictates a lot of things. I mean it's the same thing you see with a Democratic controlled senate that hasn't released a budget in over 1000 days and a republican house that has thrown out the word compromise, pleasing your base so you get elected is the number one priority even if it means doing nothing.

Romney seems like a guy who works well with people with opposing views as evidence from the people who've worked with him in Bain,Mass and the Olympics. And according to many democrats he's the kind of person that if you sit down in a room you can genuinely see that he's a great person so I personally get the sense if it wasn't for such a hostile political environment than he wouldn't be endorsing half of these extremist views. Standing up to your own party in some regards is harder than standing up to leaders of other countries because your parties support determines how many of them will turn out to vote for you.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »

Republicans don't want economic hardship for America (cue snide comments from the left). We're just trying to stop a President whose policies we believe will have a negative impact on America longterm.

Yeah, buying more bombs and cutting citizens off healthcare is a winning strategy for America!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 01:05:35 PM »

No no.  It is not that Republicans want the economy to fall into recession, it's simply that with Obama's pathetic handling of the economy, another recession is a possibility.

Sure. After all, Republicans did wonders with U.S. economy before 2008.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies