SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Transparency and Rationalization Amen... (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:47:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Transparency and Rationalization Amen... (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Foreign Policy Transparency and Rationalization Amen... (Failed)  (Read 3720 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:15:19 PM »
« edited: June 17, 2012, 07:24:29 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Wormyguy
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

I can't support this.  It is, frankly, far too constricting and represents too much of a black and white view of national security.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »

Since 2001, Atlasia has been dragged into several needless wars that have damaged our international credibility and our strategic posture, as well as causing the deaths of thousands of our soldiers and the maiming of tens of thousands more, as well as the deaths of hundreds of thousands if not millions of civilians in the countries we have invaded, bombed, or destabilized.  After over a decade, little progress meaningful to average Atlasians has been made after the expenditure of trillions of dollars and thousands of lives.  Those who have benefited are largely well-connected corporate interests in the military-industrial complex, who profit off of a needlessly-aggressive foreign policy.  This amendment serves to stop the President from unilaterally starting an aggressive war.  It does not outlaw defensive war, or even aggressive war, merely an aggressive war started by the President without the consent of the Senate, eliminating all legal loopholes that could be used to do so.  This is an eminently sensible and moderate position, and one would have to be truly an extreme warmonger to see otherwise.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:03:34 PM »

This is an eminently sensible and moderate position, and one would have to be truly an extreme warmonger to see otherwise.

Clearly Senatorial courtesy doesn't exist Tongue
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »

I can't support this.  It is, frankly, far too constricting and represents too much of a black and white view of national security.

Essentially the DoEA's position. Wormy, I'm glad you're in the Senate, and your heart is definitely in the right place, but this is rather constricting; it's a good idea and I appreciate the spirit it's in, but at this point in time it's too black and white and too restrictive.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

Essentially the DoEA's position. Wormy, I'm glad you're in the Senate, and your heart is definitely in the right place, but this is rather constricting; it's a good idea and I appreciate the spirit it's in, but at this point in time it's too black and white and too restrictive.

Lose the avatar please.

I fail to see how returning to the state of affairs as everyone understood it for the first 174 years of this country's history is "too constricting."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »

Lose the avatar please.

I fail to see how returning to the state of affairs as everyone understood it for the first 174 years of this country's history is "too constricting."

It seems like you're attempting to set rules of engagement for Atlasian forces; in my opinion, such ruled are better devised and implemented by a commander on the ground than by a Senate sitting possibly thousands of miles away,
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33:52 PM »

Lose the avatar please.

It seems like you're attempting to set rules of engagement for Atlasian forces; in my opinion, such ruled are better devised and implemented by a commander on the ground than by a Senate sitting possibly thousands of miles away,

If you can think of a different legitimate use of lethal force, I'd love to hear it and I'll probably make it a friendly amendment.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 10:38:39 PM »

Because this is a radically different world, Wormy.  If we were living in 1812, or even 1912, I'd agree with you.  But this is 2012.  No Founder could have envisioned an organization like Al Qaeda, or nuclear weapons, or failed states posing a threat to Atlasia.  We cannot hide behind the "it worked for the Founders, it should work for us" argument, because the times have changed.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 10:54:54 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 10:56:56 PM by red's wet dream »

Because this is a radically different world, Wormy.

Not radically different enough that unaccountable warmongering has suddenly become productive policy for anyone but unaccountable warmongerers.

Right.  Roll Eyes

Yep, it is 2012, possibly the period with the least warmongering in world history, with the exception of this "exceptional" country.

None of those things are "a threat to Atlasia."  It is estimated that there are approximately 30 members of Al Qaeda left, which is hardly an invasion force.  Nuclear weapons are indeed threatening but already exist and are a fact of life and cannot ever be used against us due to Mutually Assured Destruction.  The only nuclear-weapons states who have the capability of reaching US cities are Russia, China (only the West Coast), the UK, and Israel (why those peace-lovers felt the need to produce ICBMs is anyone's guess, but it might have something to do with their tendency to bite the hand that feeds them).  A "failed state" cannot be a "threat" by definition.

How about "it works for every other civilized country in the world right now, it should work for us" and "the opposite approach has never worked for us; in Korea, Vietnam, Iraq, or Afghanistan."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 07:28:42 AM »

Lose the avatar please.

If you can think of a different legitimate use of lethal force, I'd love to hear it and I'll probably make it a friendly amendment.

It seems that, the way it's currently phrased, troops can use force to defend themselves or civilians against attack, but cannot themselves act aggressively to prevent harm coming to other people (except through the launch of WMDs). I'm imagining a scenario where a soldier sees a guy with a gun or a bomb or a sniper rifle pointing them at/planning to attack civilians and can't step in, because he can only use deadly force to defend civilians if they are directly attacked.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 09:26:18 AM »

Lose the avatar please.

It seems that, the way it's currently phrased, troops can use force to defend themselves or civilians against attack, but cannot themselves act aggressively to prevent harm coming to other people (except through the launch of WMDs). I'm imagining a scenario where a soldier sees a guy with a gun or a bomb or a sniper rifle pointing them at/planning to attack civilians and can't step in, because he can only use deadly force to defend civilians if they are directly attacked.

I'm fairly sure that particular scenario would be covered under "directly defend civilians against attack" (it'd be a legitimate case of "defense of others" in a court, and since we're using legal terminology I think that'd cover it).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 11:59:08 AM »

Add something like, "To prevent a legitimate and imminent threat to themselves, other Atlasian or allied military forces, or civilians from causing harm."?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 12:11:23 PM »
« Edited: June 04, 2012, 12:19:34 PM by red's wet dream »

I'll change "directly defend civilians against attack" to "directly defend civilians or allied (by co-belligerence) military forces against attack or immediate, probable, and active threat of attack."
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:25:05 PM »

Is that an amendment?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 07:14:54 PM »

Yes.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 06:52:41 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »

The amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2012, 04:53:50 PM »

What now?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:17 PM »

I'll move for a final vote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 04:44:12 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »

Senators, this bill is now at final vote so please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2012, 06:28:23 PM »

Angry Nope
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix