Predict how this forum will react if Romney wins
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:04:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Predict how this forum will react if Romney wins
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Predict how this forum will react if Romney wins  (Read 3815 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »

I'll be moving to Switzerland, NOT Canada, until Harper leaves then I can go to Canada.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 01:12:57 AM »

To all the geniuses who want to move to Canada, please note that Canada already has elected Mitt Romney. His name is Stephen Harper, but he's hard to distinguish from Mittens.

Has anyone ever told you that you try too hard?
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:44 AM »

I'll be moving to Switzerland, NOT Canada, until Harper leaves then I can go to Canada.

Switzerland? You mean the most reactionary country in Europe?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 05:31:29 AM »

Switzerland? You mean the most reactionary country in Europe?

Chocolate, my friend.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 06:16:11 AM »

Don't know how the forum as a whole will react.  To be honest, I won't mind that much.  I think the circumstances of Congressional elections would determine just how effective his presidency might be.  

I'd prefer Obama get reelected.  I think Obama has turned out to be an inept policy-maker, a very bad thing in a difficult and crucial period.  The inexperience problem really turned out to be a devil for all of us.  Had he stayed in the Senate for a few terms, which he was certainly young enough to do, learned how to craft good legislation and learned how to work the system more, I think he could have had real makings.  I give him props for being willing to tackle huge problems and spend lots of political capital on them, but when you make a hash of the policy, it's probably better to be restrained anyway.   But I personally trust him more, I think he is quite a decent human being and actually does give a damn about non-blue-bloods.  Plus, if the GOP takes both chambers in the fall, then I definitely want the opposition in the White House.  

If I look at Romney's actual governing record and take into account his apparent empirical approach to policy-making, I think he could potentially make a good POTUS.  But his constant anthem in praise of the wealthy as the potential lone saviors in a bad economy really pisses me off.  (Excuse me, but demand creates jobs, not some class of omnipotent "job-creators" who only need more tax breaks to be persuaded to shower their largesse on the rest of us.  Either talk to us about how to create more demand out of our industries and economy and how to trim out budget excess in a way that's fair to everyone, or get out of my face with the obnoxious "I'm Richy Rich and proud of it" routine.)   And because he has ensured, through his way above-average rate of open pandering that makes tectonic shifts depending on which race he is in, that the "real" Mitt Romney remains a mystery to everyone, I don't trust him.  

Nonetheless, for however much I might distrust Mitt Romney, I do have some trust left in divided power.  If the GOP keeps the House and the Dems hold the Senate, then I'll feel more comfortable with a Mittens presidency, and think he might actually accomplish more of lasting value in that circumstance.  But if he becomes president while both chambers are Pubbie-controlled, then I greatly worry that he and the whole damned Senate are going to spend Romney's term trying to placate House TEA-partiers, and not much good will come of it, again at a crucial time.

But, if Romney wins, while not being particularly happy about it, I'll be ok with it.  Of all the people who do or could get elected to office, Romney is more competent than a lot of them.  And, when the majority of my fellow-citizens decide to give someone a chance, then I owe it to them to give their pick a fair chance too.    
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 09:11:59 AM »

A lot may depend on whether it is a bit of a surprise, Mittens just noses ahead in a toss up race, or it was clear for awhile that that was in the cards, and Obama was a dead man walking. If the latter, the Forum might be rather calm. The hand wringing among the majority here, may have occurred somewhat prior to the election, and by election day, sheer resignation and exhaustion may be more of the mood. It may be a bit like the Wisconsin recall, assuming that goes according to form today.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 01:24:43 PM »

I'd offer Winfield my mod position.

You can hold me to that.
I'll remember this.

It will be nice when Romney wins, just because so many Democrats on here have engraved into their heads the mindset that a Romney win is impossible.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »

"When" Romney wins?!

If Romney wins. Tongue
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 12:34:50 AM »

Switzerland? You mean the most reactionary neutral country in Europe?

Fixed.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »

Switzerland? You mean the most reactionary neutral country in Europe?

Fixed.

Have they finished taking down their minarets?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies