Adam Griffin Senate Campaign HQ - Chattanooga, TN - The Southern Candidate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Adam Griffin Senate Campaign HQ - Chattanooga, TN - The Southern Candidate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: Adam Griffin Senate Campaign HQ - Chattanooga, TN - The Southern Candidate  (Read 11579 times)
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »

Congratulations Smiley
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2012, 10:04:17 PM »

Whoa, it's dustier in here than I thought!

We'll be getting this HQ up and running very shortly.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »

Endorsed again and good luck. Let me know if you need access to my big donors. Smiley
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 02:28:47 AM »

Endorsed!
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 12:00:56 AM »

IDS LEGISLATOR ADAM GRIFFIN ISSUES LONG-WINDED SERIES OF ANNOUNCEMENTS
ATLANTA, GA
NOVEMBER 22, 2012

Good evening, my fellow constituents! While many of us may have enjoyed the stuffing of our faces earlier today, we are now assembled to stuff our minds full of civic awareness. I have called this event to convey two very important announcements to the people of the South and the nation as a whole.

The first announcement is that I will not seek a fourth term to the IDS Legislature. Over the past five months, I have enjoyed being your representative and the first in a continuing line of modern progressive representation in the Legislature. At some point, however, every journey reaches its end. My work in the region has been two fold; I have fought for what I believe to be the best course for the South in the Legislature while simultaneously working as Labor Party Chairman to increase the ideological diversity that calls our region home. With a budding group of newer citizens, I believe it is now time for them to pick up the torch and continue the good fight in our legislative branch.

These efforts have yielded fruitful results. Over the past several months, the population of the South has increased by 35%. We see Atlasian citizens from other regions flocking to be a part of our ever-growing sphere of influence, in addition to a wide array of foreigners choosing to call the South their new home. Once confined to being a distant third – nearly fourth - in terms of population, the South is now poised to become the largest region in Atlasia in the near future. Our Legislature is now quite active and our political discourse throughout the region quite intense. These changes will lead the South to become a key player in national affairs, and I believe it is vital that for a new era of Atlasian politics to be birthed, there must also be the birth of a New South.

This brings me to my second announcement: I will seek the office of Emperor in the December 2012 Regional Election. We have not had a contested election for this office in some time and with the extension of the office term from a 2-month period to a 4-month period, there are fewer chances than ever to exercise the spirit of democracy. While I consider myself to be the underdog in this race, it is imperative that this region have a debate on the future direction that it will face. Still, I believe the region is as ripe for a contrast of two visions as ever and the process will ultimately be healthy for everyone.

I do not seek to undermine or question the record of my opponent, Emperor PiT. Given the constituency and environment of the region, he has done an excellent job at navigating the differing opinions that have manifested. However, I feel that after over two years of service in the region's executive role, it is time for a change. I do not speak in platitudes, either. I am a man of structure more so than public policy and my intent is to create a basic framework for a potential first term that can be implemented with the help of the Legislature.

MAJOR POLICY PROPOSALS

1. Amend the Constitution to provide for legislative special elections. Currently, the system in the South dictates that the Emperor may appoint representatives to serve out the remainder of a term that has been vacated by any given Legislator. It is my personal belief that this system is antiquated and should be revamped to allow for representative democracy to consistently decide our representatives. In the past, this was not as big of a concern but with a growing region, it is high time that there be a 1:1 ratio in regards to vacancies versus elections.

2. Assist in crafting a new regional identity for the South. Anyone who has followed my legislative career knows that I am no fan of the “Imperial” décor that is on display in every facet of Southern life. It is my belief that after much discussion with various constituents – including those who may not support my candidacy – that there is a desire to remove these vestiges from our identity and forge ahead with something different. I will work with the Legislature to make this a reality.

3. Regionalize major utility companies. With energy use accounting for anywhere from 5-10% of GDP, it is vital that we have a secure energy environment that guarantees individuals and businesses are not being gouged. When it comes to a generic, uniform product such as energy, there is no glitz or glamor in being able to use the “free market” to pick out your own designer energy. Due to this, the regional government is in the unique position to be able to do one of the following:

* Provide energy services at the same cost as current rates, using the profit to lower taxation in other areas.
* Eliminate the concept of profit from the utility system altogether, which would lower energy prices considerably and stimulate economic growth.

4. Expand our region's population to 40 by the end of my first term. I seek to continue the growth that the South has experienced over the past few months and solidify our region as a bastion of activity. As Emperor, I will consider it my duty to expand our population among Atlasians of all political parties – new and old alike. Using my talents that I have developed as Chairman of the Labor Party, I have full confidence in my ability to achieve this goal.

You were expecting more? I can't believe you've read this far! Give yourself a pat on the back and wait for more forthcoming announcements. I shall also accept any questions or comments you may have throughout the course of this campaign.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2012, 12:40:32 AM »

Enthusiastically endorsed! Give em hell Chairman! 
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2012, 12:46:33 AM »

While I cannot endorse you becuase of your proposed major policy ideas (aside from growth), I am glad you are in the race. This can easily be the most exciting race the IDS has had in years. Smiley
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2012, 01:16:55 AM »

This will be the most contested election since I was embattled with that rape joke scandal and nearly lost to Xahar's sock!
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »

This will be the most contested election since I was embattled with that rape joke scandal and nearly lost to Xahar's sock!

What about the election that Daniel Adams lost to Xahar? Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2012, 03:59:12 AM »

What about the election that Daniel Adams lost to Xahar? Tongue

Oh. I tried to forget Dan's reign.... What a nightmare that was Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2012, 04:01:17 AM »

With the conflicting interests of being Emperor and Labor Chair, can you promise the voters that as Emperor, you would recruit members to the region of multiple ideologies and parties, rather than just stick solely to the Labor Party?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2012, 04:09:58 AM »

With the conflicting interests of being Emperor and Labor Chair, can you promise the voters that as Emperor, you would recruit members to the region of multiple ideologies and parties, rather than just stick solely to the Labor Party?

Certainly. I will be seeking to create and plan on working with a council - with each major party represented - that promotes regional recruitment to encourage long-term growth in the South.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »

We will miss you in the Legislature, and as future senior Labor Legislator I'll try to do my best to maintain the spirit you've inspired there !

I wholeheartedly endorse you !
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2012, 09:49:56 AM »

I can't endorse you (cause I don't think we should implement special elections, mess with our regional identity, or regionalize our utilities), but I do wholeheartedly endorse the idea of a competitive election! Best wishes, and may you do as well as possible without actually winning!
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2012, 10:24:14 AM »

I will be supporting PiT in this election Adam, but wish you the best- I know you will run an active campaign on ideas that will only help make the game better... good luck!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2012, 12:20:24 PM »

3. Regionalize major utility companies. With energy use accounting for anywhere from 5-10% of GDP, it is vital that we have a secure energy environment that guarantees individuals and businesses are not being gouged. When it comes to a generic, uniform product such as energy, there is no glitz or glamor in being able to use the “free market” to pick out your own designer energy. Due to this, the regional government is in the unique position to be able to do one of the following:

* Provide energy services at the same cost as current rates, using the profit to lower taxation in other areas.
* Eliminate the concept of profit from the utility system altogether, which would lower energy prices considerably and stimulate economic growth.

Is this how far you would go, or would this lead to what Mr. Seatown was proposing, including nationalized gas, water, electricity, sewage, garbage, internet, wireless communication, and rail systems? How far are you willing to push this?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2012, 12:57:45 PM »

Endorsed. The fascists' lock on the Southern worker must be broken! Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2012, 03:38:53 PM »

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and encouragement!

Is this how far you would go, or would this lead to what Mr. Seatown was proposing, including nationalized gas, water, electricity, sewage, garbage, internet, wireless communication, and rail systems? How far are you willing to push this?

Currently, I am focusing solely on the regionalization of energy/electricity. While most of the items on your and Mr. Seatown's lists are malleable to the same management style, I believe that a transition process cannot be done hastily. Since electricity is the plurality utility in terms of revenue and therefore has the most impact on economic growth, it shall be my focus.

I also believe that internet/wireless communication should be left to private companies; government can instead subsidize access to internet and phone while also providing infrastructural investment.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2012, 10:46:58 PM »

You have my enthusiastic support! Although what good it may do in the South I couldn't tell you.

I notice you snuck in our state's great seal in your platform. Good show, sir! Grin
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2012, 11:21:55 PM »

You have my enthusiastic support! Although what good it may do in the South I couldn't tell you.

I notice you snuck in our state's great seal in your platform. Good show, sir! Grin

Thanks! It is also (albeit modified) a key centerpiece of our party's logo. Wink

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2012, 11:46:49 PM »

Yeah, I've noticed that. Grin
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 12:01:45 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2012, 03:31:45 AM by Velasco »

I wish you the best of lucks in this campaign, Mr. Co-Speaker.

As for the key points of your platform, I certainly see reasonable the one referring to special elections to cover vacancies in the Legislature. It will be good to have a debate over the regional identity in the light of the demographic changes happened recently. It's my belief that identity is not a static concept but a dynamic one; I would like a more inclusive concept of citizenship. It's also my opinion that the regional government has a lot to say over the planning of the energy policy. We'll have to discuss if the regionalization of the companies is the best option or it's better to go towards a public/private mixed model. In any case, my opinion is that the main goal of the energy policies must be replacing the current model for a sustainable one, assuring at the same time energy for everybody at reasonable prices. Certainly, that's not easy to achieve. I think that we must be able to look in the middle and long terms. We must be conscious that the unlimited growth is not possible in a planet with limited resources. One day we will have to change towards an economic model tending to homeostasis (i.e.  balance, stability).    
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 02:47:28 AM »

I probably should address all of your platform points together, but the special election point particularly intrigues me, so I will feel free to talk about it now.

Back when we had the post of Viceroy, we were required to hold special elections for vacancies. They were rather dreadful affairs, and along with monthly regular elections contributed to a sense of election fatigue. I think the increase in partisanship now would lead to more interesting special elections, but I do think that there can be too much of a good thing, and that applies to elections too.

The issue I see is that regional executive has been a traditionally useless post in Atlasia. The advent of the elected legislature has helped in this regard, but I've still had to work to make the post be as relevant as possible. A nice upside of legislative appointments is that it makes executive control play a role in legislative control, as the Emperor has the power to tip the scales of the Legislature in his favor. With the fast timescale that transitions of power can occur on in this regional government, appointment gives the executive a precious opportunity to implement his agenda, whereas special election is more of a double-edged sword.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 04:21:58 AM »

What's the campaign song?

To PiT: My priority is to have public energy control, other utilities will be done later, I never meant to do that hastily.  You have seen my submission to GM thread asking for the price to nationalize certain utilities, those things will be carefully considered, and non-energy utilities will come second in my vision for public sector companies in the South.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2012, 12:59:07 PM »

I probably should address all of your platform points together, but the special election point particularly intrigues me, so I will feel free to talk about it now.

Back when we had the post of Viceroy, we were required to hold special elections for vacancies. They were rather dreadful affairs, and along with monthly regular elections contributed to a sense of election fatigue. I think the increase in partisanship now would lead to more interesting special elections, but I do think that there can be too much of a good thing, and that applies to elections too.

The issue I see is that regional executive has been a traditionally useless post in Atlasia. The advent of the elected legislature has helped in this regard, but I've still had to work to make the post be as relevant as possible. A nice upside of legislative appointments is that it makes executive control play a role in legislative control, as the Emperor has the power to tip the scales of the Legislature in his favor. With the fast timescale that transitions of power can occur on in this regional government, appointment gives the executive a precious opportunity to implement his agenda, whereas special election is more of a double-edged sword.

I'd also argue that the way PiT has made appointments has been extremely smart. For the most part, he appoints new members who would have otherwise had a hard time winning elections. It's because of PiT that these members are able to get their foot in the door and make a bit of a name for themselves. I do see the downside of this power if we ever get a completely opportunistic governor, but I really think it's been a force of good, at least as long as I've been here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies