SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:15:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act (Vetoed, Sustained)  (Read 6512 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 10:09:13 AM »

There's nothing preventing the regions from doing anything under this bill.  All this bill does is expand the options available to parents to educate their children, while purely saving the regions and the taxpayer at large money (as they currently spend between $6,356 and $18,126 per public school pupil).  The beauty of this legislation is that it improves the quality of the services available by increasing choice, while simultaneously reducing the cost of those services, and without forcing anyone or any region to do anything.
Accualy is fauxnews.

Using data from the US Census Bureau: http://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/pdf/cb11-94_table_11.pdf
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »

I'm not going to reward parents for taking children out of the public system we're trying to make better.

If you want to privately educate, or home-school your children, that's your responsibility.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:23 AM »

I'm not going to reward parents for taking children out of the public system we're trying to make better.

If you want to privately educate, or home-school your children, that's your responsibility.
Assume a child is zoned for an F-school (how things are done in Florida)- govt regulations force that child to attend that school and not another public school...you oppose making it easier for a child to attend a better private school? The END goal of the public school system is not to improve the public school system- it is to improve the pupils...if to do that it helps to go outside the public school system why not?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »

Assume a child is zoned for an F-school (how things are done in Florida)- govt regulations force that child to attend that school and not another public school...you oppose making it easier for a child to attend a better private school? The END goal of the public school system is not to improve the public school system- it is to improve the pupils...if to do that it helps to go outside the public school system why not?

Wouldn't a bill that allowed the students to go to any school they could get to (provided that the school had room for them) have a similar effect?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:46 AM »

Wouldn't a bill that allowed the students to go to any school they could get to (provided that the school had room for them) have a similar effect?

No because it is not the federal government's job. The Northeast already has a law for public school choice and we have the best education in the nation at every level.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »

I would oppose such a bill because it may be against the best interests of a local school district to have an open enrollment policy and believe the federal government should not force them to.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

The end goal of most laws (excluding defense and some others) should be ultimate power to the individual I believe...not power to the regions. Many times- power to the regions means more power to the people but if a federal law can mean more power to the people I am in favor of jumping the regions- as are others...I believe ZuWo has already pointed out contradictions in your pro-regional policies Napoleon but that's not for here to argue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »

The end goal of most laws (excluding defense and some others) should be ultimate power to the individual I believe...not power to the regions. Many times- power to the regions means more power to the people but if a federal law can mean more power to the people I am in favor of jumping the regions- as are others...I believe ZuWo has already pointed out contradictions in your pro-regional policies Napoleon but that's not for here to argue

Lol there is no contradiction and if it isn't for here to argue then don't bring it up at all because it shows a lack of maturity on your part. Again, why should the federal government be doing this instead of the governments that actually fund schools?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 05:06:38 PM »

Lol there is no contradiction and if it isn't for here to argue then don't bring it up at all because it shows a lack of maturity on your part. Again, why should the federal government be doing this instead of the governments that actually fund schools?
Lack of maturity??? How about you stop with the silly one liners like "this bill is a disaster" and "Whig war on women" before you call ME immature fella...
The federal govt doing this doesn't overrule any regional or local laws, which is why your question is not relevant
Going to bed shortly but hope to continue this...
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Feedback: Error, No Valid Entry at Command Prompt
Status: This service is dependent upon sponsor Feedback and will fail with the following arguments: spfb is invalid
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »

ERROR!!! A SYSTEM CALL WHICH SHOULD NEVER FAIL HAS FAILED!!!

lol, that is what my computer says, funny it works here too. Tongue Evil
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2012, 06:21:15 PM »

Just for clarification, nothing I've seen has changed my mind... I'm vetoing this if it gets to me.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 02:38:09 AM »

Amendment is friendly- did not have internet access in Venice but I do have a new fiancee :-)
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 08:21:11 AM »

Hawkward
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 04:33:36 PM »

Senators have 24 hours to object.

I haven't seen one, but it has been some time, so I ask that if someone has already stated so, to please re-state their objection for everyone's benefit.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »

The amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »

Is that all?

This computer sh**t is killing me, I can't ride peoples asses through telekinesis. Tongue
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »

I believe we are ready for a vote- I believe we've established this bill's intent and the amendment helped make the bill stronger
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 10:10:01 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 10:11:02 PM »

Senators this bill is now at final vote, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 10:13:04 PM »

Aye
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God