Supreme Court scenario
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court scenario
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court scenario  (Read 625 times)
CT27
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 12:26:46 AM »

What would happen if all nine U.S. Supreme Court Justices died (say they were all on a plane trip and the plane crashed)?  How many liberals would Obama be able to get appointed to the bench?  Would the Republicans filibuster or manage to get any conservatives back on the bench? (both these scenarios assume Obama wins re-election)?

Scenario 1: The Senate remains narrowly in Democratic hands (the Republicans have mid-high 40s)

Scenario 2:  The GOP retakes the Senate and has numbers in the low 50s (say 51-54)

NOTE:  I'm not advocating violence or hoping anyone dies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41:06 AM »

At best, he'd only get a 5-4 liberal court, but that'd cause such political uproar that a unique solution would probably have to be created before the nominations were ever even made.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

It would stay like it is 4-4 liberal/conservative split and pick a moderate conservative to be the balance.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:12:39 PM »

Whatever the case, the conspiracy theories would never die.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »

Thing I doubt that you ever get more than two or three justices on the same flight.  It's not as if they go traveling together on circuit to hear cases.

Still, if such a tragedy were to occur today, I'd expect Obama to nominate O'Connor as Chief Justice, and Stevens and Souter to take back their old seats, as well as three pairings of a Republican and a Democrat.

The idea is to give the wiped-out court some experience, as well give three quick nominations that the Senate would likely agree to quickly confirm with a voice vote under the circumstances while the six additional justices were vetted and nominated. My expectation would be that Stevens and Souter would likely re-retire after a year or two.  I think O'Connor would remain for a while, as the main reason she retired no longer applies.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

Do all the right-wingers ever fly together?  Perhaps to Baden-Baden in the summertime?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:06 PM »

Thing I doubt that you ever get more than two or three justices on the same flight.  It's not as if they go traveling together on circuit to hear cases.

Still, if such a tragedy were to occur today, I'd expect Obama to nominate O'Connor as Chief Justice, and Stevens and Souter to take back their old seats, as well as three pairings of a Republican and a Democrat.

The idea is to give the wiped-out court some experience, as well give three quick nominations that the Senate would likely agree to quickly confirm with a voice vote under the circumstances while the six additional justices were vetted and nominated. My expectation would be that Stevens and Souter would likely re-retire after a year or two.  I think O'Connor would remain for a while, as the main reason she retired no longer applies.
did she find the fountain of youth? Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:48:19 PM »

did she find the fountain of youth? Smiley

No, her husband died.  She'd resigned to take care of him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies