1968: Nixon/Romney vs. Humphrey/Muskie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:53:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Nixon/Romney vs. Humphrey/Muskie
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for?/Who would have won?
Nixon/Nixon

Nixon/Humphrey

Humphrey/Nixon

Humphrey/Humphrey

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: 1968: Nixon/Romney vs. Humphrey/Muskie  (Read 2787 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »

OK, here's a good one: what if George Romney had been Nixon's running mate in 1968 instead of Agnew?  Note that I didn't include Wallace--I figured nobody would say they would have voted for him!!! Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »

I don't think Nixon would pick Romney. They never had a good relationship and he'd be a lead necklace in the South. Agnew helped bring in Southern states for Romney (even LBJ told Nixon so privately). He was triangulating on the war and civil rights, picking Romney nukes that strategy. Nixon in 1960 would pick someone like Romney. Not Nixon in '68. But if Big Labor doesn't go in for HHH then Nixon can win a landslide... at one point HHH was below 30% nationally, 43-28-21.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »

And one final thing... a Southern-acceptable Veep was absolutely key to Thurmond holding the Southern delegates for Nixon. Nixon's first ballot majority was only 25 delegates. If the deal's off then Nixon wins only a plurality which could lead to a Reagan nomination since the Southern delegates' hearts were with Reagan.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »

But that said I'm definitely with Nixon. HHH is not the Dem candidate I'd consider voting for.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 02:40:26 PM »

OK, here's a good one: what if George Romney had been Nixon's running mate in 1968 instead of Agnew?  Note that I didn't include Wallace--I figured nobody would say they would have voted for him!!! Smiley

It seems rather bigoted and presumptive to say that no one here would've voted for Wallace. Wink
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2012, 05:06:23 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

I don't think Nixon would pick Romney. They never had a good relationship and he'd be a lead necklace in the South. Agnew helped bring in Southern states for Romney (even LBJ told Nixon so privately). He was triangulating on the war and civil rights, picking Romney nukes that strategy. Nixon in 1960 would pick someone like Romney. Not Nixon in '68. But if Big Labor doesn't go in for HHH then Nixon can win a landslide... at one point HHH was below 30% nationally, 43-28-21.
And one final thing... a Southern-acceptable Veep was absolutely key to Thurmond holding the Southern delegates for Nixon. Nixon's first ballot majority was only 25 delegates. If the deal's off then Nixon wins only a plurality which could lead to a Reagan nomination since the Southern delegates' hearts were with Reagan.
Not only was Agnew pro-civil rights, but he had defeated a segregationist Democrat, George Mahoney, for governor of Maryland.  Mahoney's slogan had been, "Your home is your castle--protect it!"  (http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/) .  And the Southern delegates' hearts were with Reagan?  Reagan had once said, "I favor the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and believe it should be enforced at gunpoint if necessary."  Even if he opposed it later, he initially supported it. (A Call to America, p. 204.)  
OK, here's a good one: what if George Romney had been Nixon's running mate in 1968 instead of Agnew?  Note that I didn't include Wallace--I figured nobody would say they would have voted for him!!! Smiley

It seems rather bigoted and presumptive to say that no one here would've voted for Wallace. Wink
What I meant is that hardly anybody nowadays would ever admit to voting for George Wallace, even though he had a change of heart (which is largely forgotten.)  Make no mistake: George Wallace was a nasty guy, and I sure wouldn't have voted for him, no matter what.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 06:08:18 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2012, 09:31:20 PM by Jerseyrules »

OK, here's a good one: what if George Romney had been Nixon's running mate in 1968 instead of Agnew?  Note that I didn't include Wallace--I figured nobody would say they would have voted for him!!! Smiley

I might've as a protest vote.  I wouldve wanted victory in Vietnam and a non-Progressive; both major party candidates wouldn't've given that to me.  Which is why I love han's Goldwater 68 TL so much Cheesy Sad
ask_not
donavan_ed
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »

i think a humphrey rfk ticket would of been neat.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:49:44 PM »

i think a humphrey rfk ticket would of been neat.

That would be about as likely as an Obama/Palin ticket in 2012.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies