Rodney King dies at 47
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:57:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Rodney King dies at 47
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Rodney King dies at 47  (Read 3339 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2012, 02:25:41 PM »

dead0's reading from the Ed Norton monologue in American History X.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2012, 02:39:25 PM »

I knew nothing about all of this, so I watched a CNN Special the other night.

The special must have been very biased towards King, because to me it seemed cut and dry and what happened was terrible and he has been completely perfect. I then find on blogs and here that he had his faults too.

Meh, CNN...
CNN has a history of race baiting. They really over dramatized the Treyvon Martin incident. Black in America is replayed at least twice a week. And they also did Hispanic in America. Now they should do Black Transvestite Jews in America.
Link
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:30 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2012, 05:00:17 PM by Link »

King did not deserve what he got, but the way he acted afterwards pissed me off.

You mean begging people not to riot even though the system repeatedly raped him?

...we shouldn't be singing the praises of a man who was legitimately a dangerous criminal

Should we sing the praises of a man that begged a city not to riot after the system raped him... twice?

Crying racism when no racism exists..

This thread is marinating in racism.

A douchebag, huh?  Our BS Strars and Stripes, "Proud to be an American,"  land of the free, I pledge allegiance toilet of a hypocritical country shat on this guy twice.  After being violated by two branches of government he did not lash out with hate.  He begged others that were upset to calm down and be reasonable.

What ever happened to you in your life?  Which group of government sponsored storm troopers beat the $h-t out of you?  Which court basically told you f'you n*gger?  How come you are so pissed off you're posting this trash on the internet?  What happened in your privileged little life that makes you angrier than Rodney King?  If you are this pissed off now I would hate to see what you would be like if you went through even a fraction of what King went through.  That video tape was just a few minutes of his life.  That guy was a born loser who was dealt a bad hand on day one.  And yet after everything he didn't scream or shout.  He didn't lash out in anger.  He called for calm.  You know when everything went down I was pretty young.  I didn't think much of King.  But now after years of seeing lily white privileged pampered teenage punks go to pieces on the internet because they want more tax breaks for Daddy Warbucks' prancing dressage horse I have to say Rodney King is better than all of them.

Nobdoy is perfect.  Nobody is a saint.  Being born poor or black does not give anyone carte blanche to disregard the law.  But when the worst case scenario happened and a city burned, when a man had been so thoroughly mistreated he had every excuse to be mad, when it really mattered Rodney King rose above it all and begged everyone to stop the madness.  To be honest I'm glad it was someone like him that went through that hell.  If it was some of the people on this forum Lord knows what venom they would have spewed.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 05:13:05 PM »

Interesting thread.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2012, 05:49:42 PM »

Can't wait to see the toxicology results.
that's not funny dude.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

what
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

You know, this is really sad.  I came onto this forum and finally saw this thread and clicked on it.  Somehow, I knew that there would be a few assholes turning a death into a pissfest.

Typical Atlas for you.
You can call me a "big man" or an asshole, I am certainly those things, but I'm ten times the man Rodney King was and I ain't close to "hero" status.  Having a horrible thing happen to you doesn't make you a hero, especially if your assholery went a long way towards making that horrible thing happen in the first place.

And 20 times the thugs who beat him up. Wink

Seriuously. King was a petty thug. The LAPD was an absolute cowboy organization, even compared to other big city PDs. Gates was utterly tolerant of it, and it burned bridges in the community for years.

King shouldn't be lionized as any "hero", but his getting his ass whupped (or rather it being videotaped) wound up creating meaningful LONG overdue reforms in the LAPD. Too bad it took a riot that burned down half the town to do it.,..

Oh, and Gramps, that was my first thought too.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 08:45:27 AM »

Hey guys who are mocking Rodney King, did you ever think for a second that King's drinking and etc could have turned from a middling problem to controlling his life because of his beating?
Yes, and then with a few seconds of research I got past that concern.  He was a wife beating, petty criminal and a drunk BEFORE he became famous for playing a punching bag.
To them, he's just another Black who deserved what he got. :/
Crying racism when no racism exists hurts race relations.  Plus it makes you look like a douche.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 09:08:59 AM »

I sleep during the day like all good hearted people.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 02:05:59 PM »

CNN has a history of race baiting. They really over dramatized the Treyvon Martin incident. Black in America is replayed at least twice a week. And they also did Hispanic in America. Now they should do Black Transvestite Jews in America.

Y

Could it be because, I don't know, there's still significant  race problems in America?

Look, King wasn't a hero, but partially, his circumstances made him what he was.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:36 PM »

I was totally serious.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2012, 03:33:07 AM »

Y

Could it be because, I don't know, there's still significant  race problems in America?
No worries, white guilt is making a comeback! link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like a less important Ernesto Miranda?  Both were douchebags that were part of the spark that changed the "system" in a good way, it seems Ernesto was the bigger douche and his "issues" had the bigger impact on society.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2012, 11:13:44 AM »

Y

No worries, white guilt is making a comeback! link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Like a less important Ernesto Miranda?  Both were douchebags that were part of the spark that changed the "system" in a good way, it seems Ernesto was the bigger douche and his "issues" had the bigger impact on society.

Are you seriously denying that there's still very significant race problems in America, relating to whites and their relationship with non-whites?

As for Miranda, you do have a point there; yeah, King was a jerk, so was Miranda, but though poverty doesn't excuse them, it does partially explain why they, as minorities, were targeted for something others get away with more frequently.

Though yeah, both were better as symbols rather than people.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »

Yes, I am seriously denying there is a very significant race problem in the US.  Is it still an issue? sure, but it's better than it's ever been, getting better everyday and isn't an issue for the vast majority of us. 

Of course that's easy for me to say, being a cracker and all.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies