Opinion of the Candidate - Mitt Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:37:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Opinion of the Candidate - Mitt Romney
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ....
Very Positive

Somewhat Positive

Neutral

Somewhat Negative

Very Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: Opinion of the Candidate - Mitt Romney  (Read 2828 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:41 AM »

Go.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 07:50:26 AM »

As a moderate in Mass I liked him as I appreciate his willingness to compromise.

I despise Flip Floppers ( Give me a Chris Christie, Ron Paul, Clinton ext who stands by their views)

As a Presidential Candidate on the economy he seems Lightyears more informed on how the economy works than his repulican predecessor.

On foreign policy he surrounds himself with NEO CONS which is a huge Negative.

Don't really know/OR Care about his stance on all the social issues
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

There are few politicians I despise more.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:37 AM »

The worst human being to be nominated by either party since Nixon. His presidency would be most akin to Warren Harding's.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:54:45 AM »

As a moderate in Mass I liked him as I appreciate his willingness to compromise.

I despise Flip Floppers ( Give me a Chris Christie, Ron Paul, Clinton ext who stands by their views)

Wait ... you like Romney but you despise Flip Floppers?  Ohhh-kay then....

I count it as a big strike against Romney that the Massies didn't try to recall him.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:58:53 AM »

Somewhat negative.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 10:02:05 AM »

The worst human being to be nominated by either party since Nixon. His presidency would be most akin to Warren Harding's.

Romney's "the worst human being to be nominated"?  Did you just scrub the years 1992 to 2001 from your memory?  Remember the guy who began by saving his candidacy by lying about his "12-year affair" -- it was only 11-and-a-half was his excuse LOL -- and ended by staying out of jail only by agreeing to a harsh plea deal with the special prosecutor?  The in-between wasn't too good either in terms of his aspirations to be considered "a decent human being".

(Note that I've never said Clinton was a bad president, but c'mon, he was a scoundrel of the first rank.  The man couldn't get out of bed in the morning before telling two lies.)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:50 AM »

Romney's "the worst human being to be nominated"?  Did you just scrub the years 1992 to 2001 from your memory?  Remember the guy who began by saving his candidacy by lying about his "12-year affair" -- it was only 11-and-a-half was his excuse LOL -- and ended by staying out of jail only by agreeing to a harsh plea deal with the special prosecutor?  The in-between wasn't too good either in terms of his aspirations to be considered "a decent human being".

(Note that I've never said Clinton was a bad president, but c'mon, he was a scoundrel of the first rank.  The man couldn't get out of bed in the morning before telling two lies.)

In my mind, Romney and Clinton are both 'somewhat positive'.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:27:38 AM »

Despicable, violently flip-flopping vulture capitalist.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:01 AM »

I count it as a big strike against Romney that the Massies didn't try to recall him.

What? I said that I liked his ability to compromise in Mass but I hated his flip flopping especilly though out the past 5 years.

I was stating certain parts of him that I like and dislike.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:07:29 AM »

A cynical, self-serving opportunist.

Severely so. Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:11:25 AM »

Very positive. He will make a great President.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 11:21:39 AM »

Other than Hillary, he's the most exciting candidate for president since Reagan. The man has exactly the right kind of experience to be president and will definitely be able to improve things way faster than Obama. It was Romney's job to be a leader, and he was damn good at it. That's what we need today. I don't care if he had to flip flop on some issues to get elected. It shows that he's willing to be reasonable. And really, the policies of a president don't matter--it's the president's ability to make decisions that counts. And Obama is terrible at that.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 11:23:46 AM »

And really, the policies of a president don't matter--it's the president's ability to make decisions that counts.

By that logic, George W Bush was the best President in history.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 11:35:41 AM »

Sidenote: Republicans pretending to suddenly love Hillary Clinton may be my least favourite political development since the beginning of recorded time.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »

A severely idiotic Republican governor.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ditto. Meanwhile, Obama is moving from somewhat negative to just plain old negative in my mind. Is he doing anything these days but campaigning/fund raising (and not very effectually at even that to boot)?
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:12 PM »

Ditto. Meanwhile, Obama is moving from somewhat negative to just plain old negative in my mind. Is he doing anything these days but campaigning/fund raising (and not very effectually at even that to boot)?

Body of Al Qaeda's top strategist is still warm and you're heckling Obama for not doing anything.

Of course, no president before Obama ever campaigned for his re-election before.

Obama campaigning is doing something . For example, without it, Republicans would have given everyone a tax hike since they wouldn't have felt enough pressure to extend to the payroll tax holiday.

And can someone who likes Billary but not Obama explain for me why with more than just vague concepts like "leadership" and "decisions"?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:11 PM »

Just look at the character of the candidates. How can you tell me with a straight face that Obama would've been better than Hillary had she got to be POTUS? I know that's not an answer, but it really is as simple as that to me. Sheer balls.

And I considered myself an independent back when Hilldog was running. Hillary was my top choice. I always like to say that I became a Republican on June 7th, 2008. I can't say she would be my top choice ever again, but I admire her and I certainly wouldn't be against a Hillary presidency.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 01:32:48 PM »

What? I said that I liked his ability to compromise in Mass but I hated his flip flopping especilly though out the past 5 years.

I was stating certain parts of him that I like and dislike.

Ah, ok, I get it now -- thanks.  So you like the "old Mitt", the one who could be elected governor of Mass, but not the "new Mitt" the one who has to pretend to be mainstream conservative.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2012, 01:39:55 PM »

Just look at the character of the candidates. How can you tell me with a straight face that Obama would've been better than Hillary had she got to be POTUS? I know that's not an answer, but it really is as simple as that to me. Sheer balls.

And I considered myself an independent back when Hilldog was running. Hillary was my top choice. I always like to say that I became a Republican on June 7th, 2008. I can't say she would be my top choice ever again, but I admire her and I certainly wouldn't be against a Hillary presidency.

"Sheer balls" is an improvement on "leadership" but, as they pointed out during the primary, they agreed on 95% of issues and Hillary would have probably done much of same things Obama ended up doing.  She may have fought the GOP a bit harder than Obama did on some things (we don't know for sure) but I see that as a reason for Democrats rather than Republicans to prefer her over Obama.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 01:47:11 PM »

Remember that time Republicans all praised Hillary's "balls" and "leadership" when she tried to pass healthcare reform during the Clinton administration? Good times!
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:22 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2012, 01:52:09 PM by WhyteRain »

Other than Hillary, he's the most exciting candidate for president since Reagan.

In what alternative universe is Hillary more exciting than Reagan?  I think I have to assume that you weren't alive in the early-80s.

Romney is the reincarnation of George H.W. Bush in almost every particular (try to think of how many ways he's not like G.H.W.B.)  2012 is 1980 redux, but it's as if the GOP Establishment had been able to beat Reagan and nominate Bush.  

What makes you say he was a good leader?  On what issue did conventional wisdom say to  go one way, but he persuaded his constituents to go another, better way?  (That's how I'd define a leader, but maybe it's our definitions that are the problem?)  I'm not a Bay Stater and I wasn't part of the SLC Olympics or part of Bain Capital, so I really don't know much about his leadership record.

I agree -- I have no problem with that (so long as the issues are peripheral and not central).

Well, yeah, Obama has proven that he can't compromise with anyone or bring two sides together like most good presidents do, but Obama does make decisions on policy matters.  But bad policies lead to bad decisions.  (If forced to give one quick example, I'd say Obama's policy of under-valuing fossil fuels with his decision to kill the Keystone Pipeline.)
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:25 PM »

Romney would be an amazing candidate. For the democrats.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2012, 03:13:07 PM »

Mixed. I like him as a candidate in general, but the way he runs his campaigns I don't care for. He's not aggressive enough, and when he does get there he usually underplays the issue.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies