talking points that piss you off
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:47:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  talking points that piss you off
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: talking points that piss you off  (Read 29627 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 19, 2013, 01:38:30 AM »

I've heard complaints here that Mary Landrieu was the "deciding vote" for Obamacare.

If something passes with 60 votes, couldn't any one of those 60 Senators conceivably be the "deciding vote?"
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #201 on: February 19, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »
« Edited: February 19, 2013, 02:12:33 AM by Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario) »

I've heard complaints here that Mary Landrieu was the "deciding vote" for Obamacare.

If something passes with 60 votes, couldn't any one of those 60 Senators conceivably be the "deciding vote?"

In the Senate, you need 60 votes to pass anything anymore.

EDIT: Oh, totally missed your point there. Well, I'd call the one who was most likely not to support it the "deciding vote."
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: February 19, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »

Just to bring this thread back on topic, here are a few of my pet peeves in political posturing.

"Small businesses are the engines of job creation" - no, actually that would be large and medium-sized businesses.

"If we raise the minimum wage, unemployment will go up" - nope.

"Unions are outdated/a relic of the past/are on the out because of technological change." - See every other industrialized country that has seen technological change. Guess what? They all still have stronger labor movements than the United States. 1 out of every 4 German workers is a union member, and they're experienced just as much technological change as we have.

"Obama is [anything to the left of what he actually is]"

"Bill Clinton/Ronald Reagan was the best president ever"

"[anything having to do with us needing to reduce the deficit right now]"

"People who work in fast food don't deserve [a living wage]" which is usually accompanied by "We shouldn't punish success by closing the capital gains tax loophole" or "we shouldn't raise taxes on the rich"

"Nuclear power is a dirty form of energy" - this one really kills me.

"GMOs need to be banned, because they're unnatural"

Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #203 on: February 19, 2013, 08:59:46 AM »

Obviously this thread is a disaster, but with regards to France it should be pointed out that a certain disconnect between rhetoric and reality is a traditional (the most traditional?) feature of political language there. In any case, the existence of a formerly viable hard left political tradition does not make the entire country so inclined...

But then the Guardian is incredibly left-wing.

Hahaha, no.

Didn't they endorse the Lib Dems? Obviously far-left.

Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, but anyone denying that the Guardian has a leftist bent is obviously living in a dreamworld. I wouldn't call the Lib Dems far-left, but their claim that they are centrist is just laughable.
Well, they are right-wing.

Missed this joke, but then the troll hasn't been seen since posting that rubbish.  
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #204 on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:23 AM »

Any sort of "middle class lifestyles are getting more expensive" article where the author thinks paying $5000/yr for a cleaning lady to come in once a week is a working joe thing to do.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »

Any sort of "middle class lifestyles are getting more expensive" article where the author thinks paying $5000/yr for a cleaning lady to come in once a week is a working joe thing to do.

Add this to my list.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #206 on: February 19, 2013, 11:12:52 PM »

This was actually an interesting thread despite some weird tangents including some by trolls.

Here's an addition I can't believe wasn't mentioned: Anything about "Reagan Democrats". Words can not describe how much of a stupid f**king term this is. And perhaps the only thing more idiotic than it is some of the areas that it's used to describe. Anyone who says this basically should be considered of having no credibility whatsoever, period.

Unless you mean Reagan supporters who are now Democrats, but yeah, that's not what they mean.

It has an obvious historical context in Democrats that voted for Reagan. The problems are:

1-Reagan is dead.
2-Reagan hasn't been in an election for 28 years (meaning the youngest one can be and still have voted for him is 46.)
3-Reagan hasn't been in office for 24 years, and has no relevance to contemporary American politics.

Calling someone a "Reagan Democrat" is about as logical as calling someone a Mugwump or Bourbon Democrat today, it's meaningless. The fact that it's used to refer to certain groups that Reagan didn't even do all that well with just underscores the stupidity even further.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »

The one that really pisses me off is when politicians claim that they want to run for office to "serve the people." Joe Sestak said some such nonsense a few days ago. He said he wanted to "serve again" and so he obviously has to run for Governor of Pennsylvania, the highest executive office in the commonwealth. If Sestak wanted to serve again he could read books to kindergarteners or help an old lady with yard work. Those are ways to "serve the people." But no, Sestak and other parasites use the word "service" to justify their lusts for power. The talking point that politicians actually want power to "serve" the people is total bullsh**t. Politicians want power to forward personal agendas and vendettas and to fulfill burning, Luciferian ambitions. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies