Not a surprise
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Not a surprise
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Not a surprise  (Read 523 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:47 PM »

US Factory Orders Post Surprise Fall in April

Published: Monday, 4 Jun 2012

By: Reuters

New orders for U.S. factory goods fell in April for the third time in four months as demand slipped for everything from cars and machinery to computers, the latest worrisome sign for the economic recovery.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/47674033

Since it’s the third time in four months it really shouldn’t be a “surprise.”  But then, having used up the term "unexpected," they are now using the term "surprise."
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

What do you figure is the drive behind this? I'm not at all savvy with economic questions but if I had to guess people are buying less to be more frugal / financially conservative and in doing so have lowered demand for many kinds of goods and services. In which case I suppose we have to decide whether to spend beyond our means, borrowing against the future to propel growth right now, or tighten our belts and accept that both consumer demand and the labor market (at least from the employment-seeker's perspective) are just going to have to suck for a few years? It would be really helpful if someone could explain to me why the news is still so often downbeat. D:
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:57:52 PM »

It's because the dollar has strengthened vs. the euro and because we're likely seeing a double-dip recession.  There's declining nominal wealth as home prices fall even as inflation is rising (causing the real decline in wealth to progress even more rapidly), even as extremely high barriers to entry prevent new marketplace entrants from taking the place (and rehiring the workforce) of former established players who went bust or downsized during the crash.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »

It's because the dollar has strengthened vs. the euro and because we're likely seeing a double-dip recession.  There's declining nominal wealth as home prices fall even as inflation is rising (causing the real decline in wealth to progress even more rapidly), even as extremely high barriers to entry prevent new marketplace entrants from taking the place (and rehiring the workforce) of former established players who went bust or downsized during the crash.

Pretty good explanation.

Why the red Avatar?  Trying to fit in with the moderators here?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 01:33:51 PM »

Which barriers?  The lack of demand?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »

Why the red Avatar?  Trying to fit in with the moderators here?

On this board, I am the moderator, and I haven't been aware that I am a Dem. For the moment, I am letting this pass, but try not being ridiculous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies