Mideast Senate Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:21:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Senate Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Mideast Senate Debate  (Read 5277 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:47:53 PM »

Senator Ben and former Assemblyman JCL have stated that they would like to hold a Senate debate before the upcoming election. Both of them have accepted me as the moderator of this debate.

If you are a Mideast citizen and would like to ask the candidates a question, please send the question to me or post the question directly in this thread before the beginning of the debate. The debate will start in the next days and shall have a rather loose format. Concretely, I will ask the candidates questions on a variety of issues and both candidates will have the opportunity to address each other directly. Indeed, it's not the moderator who should be in the centre of attention but it is the candidates who are important here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »

Are non-Mideast citizens allowed to ask questions, too?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:50 PM »

Are non-Mideast citizens allowed to ask questions, too?

If the candidates agree I guess that's alright.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 04:10:23 PM »

If the candidates agree to answer, I would like to know how both feel about regional restructuring.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 04:13:57 PM »
« Edited: June 06, 2012, 04:40:14 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

If the candidates want to answer, I'd appreciate knowing (in great detail Tongue) what their policy towards Iran would be if they were in the Senate, and what action they would take if elected to address Iran (specifically their nuclear program).

I'd like to know where the candidates stand on the fragile economic conditions in Europe, specifically concerning the Eurozone and the continued stability (possible Greek pullout and hypothetical subsequent pullouts) of such. What would the candidates do in the Senate to ensure that events in Europe concerning the Euro do not slow our GDP growth (or decline in unemployment rate)?

What would you do in the event that China's economic growth slows, stifling growth in other nations?

What action would you take to prevent the possibility of a terrorist attack on Atlasian soil?

What would you do to help combat terrorism internationally?

The nation of Syria is currently experiencing great upheaval, and the casualties are mounting. What would you do to address that situation?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »

If the candidates agree to answer, I would like to know how both feel about regional restructuring.

I've maintained a firm belief against regional restructuring.  I think it's thoroughly unnecessary; I don't buy the argument that we need to redraw the map in order to boost activity.

If the candidates want to answer, I'd appreciate knowing (in great detail Tongue) what their policy towards Iran would be if they were in the Senate, and what action they would take if elected to address Iran (specifically their nuclear program).

As odd as it may sound to some to hear me say this, military action is not the solution.  I think it is imperative that we secure the support of as many nations as possible, especially powers like China and Russia.  I would propose cutting Iran off entirely economically, while simultaneously preparing for military action, in terms of building up alliances.  The recently introduced treaty with Israel is, I think, an excellent example of what we should be doing.

I'd like to know where the candidates stand on the fragile economic conditions in Europe, specifically concerning the Eurozone and the continued stability (possible Greek pullout and hypothetical subsequent pullouts) of such. What would the candidates do in the Senate to ensure that events in Europe concerning the Euro do not slow our GDP growth (or decline in unemployment rate)?

Not to sound like a pessimist, but I don't think there is much the Senate can really do in order to protect us from a post-Grexit slowdown.  If necessary, I would urge the Senate to consider appropriating funds to help keep Europe afloat.

What would you do in the event that China's economic growth slows, stifling growth in other nations?

The only real option is to continually try and build economic relationships with as many nations as possible.  One of the inherent risks of globalization is the risk that if a major economic force falters, everyone suffers.

What action would you take to prevent the possibility of a terrorist attack on Atlasian soil?

I am a firm believer that we should work towards destroying the infrastructure of every terrorist organization.  There a two ways to achieve that: First, by actively eliminating terrorist leaders through drone strikes, which have proven to be radically successful.  Second, we should make it our mission to bring education to the places where terrorists thrive.  In a speech I gave as SoEA nearly two years ago, "In order to truly defeat terrorism, the population must be educated; they must know that the Taliban and Hezbollah and Hamas are not the path to a better life; they are the path only to death and destruction."

See my above answer; they are tied together.

The nation of Syria is currently experiencing great upheaval, and the casualties are mounting. What would you do to address that situation?

What we need is international cooperation.  I am pleased to see both Russia and China moving away from the abhorrent Assad regime, because it is critical that Assad be as isolated as possible.  Military intervention is not the solution at this time.  However, we must recognize that the time may come when Assad must be forced out.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:56 AM »

What action would the candidates take in the Senate to address tensions in the South China Sea, particularly between the PRC and the ROC?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:25 AM »

What action would the candidates take in the Senate to address tensions in the South China Sea, particularly between the PRC and the ROC?

It's important for us to strike a delicate balance between two fairly significant allies.  It is my opinion that the PRC, if faced with a real confrontation, will not actively pursue hostilities.  We must make sure that there is no escalation if a conflict occurs; the best we can do is hope to contain things to the realm of saber-rattling.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:21 AM »

What action would you take in regards to Israel? The UN? Afghanistan? Where do y'all stand on conscription (specifically the current amendment being debated)?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:27:27 AM »

What action would you take in regards to Israel?

I've long believed that Atlasia must stand by Israel - see the treaty I've sponsored for the DoEA.  However, we cannot be uncritical of Israel; when Israel makes mistakes, we need to call them out on it.  I believe Israel needs to stop building settlements, fully withdraw from Gaza and the West Bank, and must negotiate in good faith.  And Atlasia will be there the whole time.

Atlasia should stand by the UN, and respect it, and work within its system, but we cannot sacrifice our interests to the UN.

If I had my way, there would be a greater Atlasian military presence in Afghanistan, but that is not possible.  All we can do now is stand by, and be prepared to help our ally if anything goes wrong.

Where do y'all stand on conscription (specifically the current amendment being debated)?

I'm inclined to vote against it because I dislike limiting the future options of future policymakers when it comes to foreign policy.  However, I could be persuaded, and I think my Amendment allowing for 3/4 of the Senate to institute a draft is a good step.  Fear of a draft has always been overstated in my opinion; I see this amendment as merely an attempt by people to prove how much they care about "personal liberties."
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 11:39:52 AM »
« Edited: June 07, 2012, 12:06:55 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

What would you do to address our foreign military bases (as in Saudi Arabia, Germany, and Japan)?

What would you do to address the Falklands conflict?

What would you do on the Kurdish conflict?

How would you work with the IMF and World Bank?

Would you reopen an investigation into 9/11?

What is your stance on the increasing use of drones in conflict?

And our speed round (or the "I'm typing on my iPod" round): Military funding? atlasian exceptionalism? Iraq? China? North Korea? LRA?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 12:17:48 PM »

What should the Atlasian tax structure look like, both for individuals and businesses?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 01:05:58 PM »

What would you do to address our foreign military bases (as in Saudi Arabia, Germany, and Japan)?

I'm not opposed on principle to closing certain bases, but we need to be strategic.  Bases in important locations (like Japan and Saudi Arabia) must remain open, but if a base in, say, Germany doesn't need to be there, that's funding and manpower we can put elsewhere.

That's frankly not an issue Atlasia needs to involve itself in.  All I can say is that there should absolutely never be an armed conflict.

The Kurdish conflict is one that cannot be solved without the full cooperation of all nations that claim territory that is also claimed for Kurdistan.  I will continue to push all nations involved to continue to grant full autonomy to Kurdish regions, while working towards the ultimate goal of a free Kurdistan.

Given the current international economic situation, few organizations are more important that the IMF and the World Bank.  As SoEA, I encouraged the President not to name a new head of the World bank, because the international community needs to get more involved in the World Bank, just as I was pleased to see a non-European become head of the IMF last year.  Atlasia must continue to work with both groups, in order to help the world economy survive.

Of course not.

I am a firm believer in the ability of drones to do good work.  I fully support expanding the use of drones.

And our speed round (or the "I'm typing on my iPod" round): Military funding? atlasian exceptionalism? Iraq? China? North Korea? LRA?

Military Funding: I believe in a large military budget, but I also feel the need to look out for opportunities where we can eliminate waste.

Atlasian Exceptionalism: it exists, but it has to be realized by the people and the government.

Iraq: we should continue to help them develop into a secure country, and be prepared to aid them if necessary.

China: China is one of our major economic allies, but we have to be wary about the military risks posed by China.

North Korea: given the risks posed by a nuclear NK, it is important that we keep a close eye on them, and use all the influence we have to bring about peaceful regime change and give the people the quality of life they deserve.

LRA: an evil organization, but a weak one.  The best solution now is to let it die out, and aid Uganda if necessary to defeat it.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 01:06:54 PM »

What should the Atlasian tax structure look like, both for individuals and businesses?

My most recent amendment to the President's budget is my fundamental idea about taxation, in that it is a progressive system with the richest paying the most.  The actual rates, though, would naturally vary, and I am never wedded to a particular number for a particular group.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 01:35:13 PM »

Ok, the debate has officially started as it seems. From now on, the only posts that should appear in this thread are direct questions from the audience and the candidates' responses. Questions from citizens of other regions are welcome if the candidates agree to answer them, but questions from Mideast citizens (if there are more to come) have a higher priority.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 01:46:28 PM »

Ok, the debate has officially started as it seems. From now on, the only posts that should appear in this thread are direct questions from the audience and the candidates' responses. Questions from citizens of other regions are welcome if the candidates agree to answer them, but questions from Mideast citizens (if there are more to come) have a higher priority.

Should we hold future questions till JCL has an opportunity to respond to those already posed (if he so chooses)?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »

I'm fine with non-Mideast citizens, fyi.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:01 PM »

Should we hold future questions till JCL has an opportunity to respond to those already posed (if he so chooses)?

I think we should give JCL a bit of time to response to the questions that have been asked so far.

I have two questions that I would like the candidates to answer (you can answer them once all the earlier questions have been answered).

To Ben: Left-wingers repeatedly criticized you for being a PINO (progressive in name only) and a hawk. What is your response to these attacks?

To JCL: You have been accused of being a Tea Partier and an extremist, especially on social issues. What is your response to these attacks?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »

Question for the candidates:

Looking at many of our region's Senators, most have a history of working across the aisle, as well as making an effort to truly represent their constituents.

As a Senator, will your votes reflect the will of your constituents, or rather, what you personally believe in?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 03:43:18 PM »

To Ben: Left-wingers repeatedly criticized you for being a PINO (progressive in name only) and a hawk. What is your response to these attacks?

I don't consider being called a hawk as an attack, and I embrace that label fully.  I will defend my policies on defense and national security to my last breath, as I firmly believe they are in Atlasia's best interests.  As for being a PINO, I dispute that.  If you look at my positions, my record in the Mideast Assembly (where I had the longest continuous tenure of anyone to that point) and my record in the Senate, you'll find my consistent support for liberal causes.  I am a liberal in the tradition of men like Hubert Humphrey and Franklin Roosevelt, who advocated liberal policies at home while pursuing a vigorous foreign policy.

As a Senator, will your votes reflect the will of your constituents, or rather, what you personally believe in?

The answer is both, of course.  My personal positions and the positions of my constituents are not radically different.  In my term so far I've made it a point to work with Senators of different political ideas, especially Senator Clarence, with whom I've closely collaborated.  I fully intend to take my constituents' views into account (that is what my office thread is for) but I will not vote for something if I am strongly against it.  There's a balancing act to be struck, and I intend to strike it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »

Like the dissolution debate we had much of last year, I opposed that and I oppose redisctricting at this point. We need more active players in order for such an idea to work effectively.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 07:27:57 PM »

Regarding the nuclear program and Iran in general, we need to utilize the aid of our Arab allies and Israel to bring Amidiemijad to the diplomatic table. As tense as it is in the Middle East we don't need another powder keg close to going up to high heaven.

We are not in the position to aid them with the debt situation. Look at the budget President Polnut has proposed. Over a trillion dollars for healthcare when that could be handled by the market. If you look at history, socialized medicine simply does not work. At 12 trillion in debt shouldnt we be trying to get out of our own debt first.

The Senator is right but I would like to also say there are things we can do to bolster our own economic engine. First, the regions need to pass Right to Work legislation immediately. As much as the unions have been a good service to labor, there are instances that allowing competition from non-union labor into the same shops To increase productivity lower prices and increase profit margins.

Look at how Israel handles airport security and do it in a way that honors our rule of law. The same would be instituted on Amtrack and Greyhound.

Education is all well and good but it goes deeper than that. One of the most known terrorist leaders, whom we "dealt with" last year courtesy of our Navy Seals had been credited with saying that they attacked us because we are on their "holy land". Yes we should work with, and learn from, our friends but committing aggressive and undeclared wars will only get our hands bit by possibly something much worse.

Assad does indeed have to go. Is it our obligation to remove him? No. But as the French aided us in our War of Independence, should the people of Syria seek a Colition of the willing to remove him, Atlasians
should lend her aid to such a group. But while there is a chance for peace and diplomacy we should make with every opprotunity to end this peaceably.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 08:40:00 PM »

This is a situation where a two state solution would be a really good idea. I'd propose that the UN recognizes the ROC as its own country like the PRC receives. Both countries need to accept that first. The tensions betwixt the Chinas stem from that.

In German I would institute a gradual drawdown. Saudi Arabia I would just get out.
 Japan would keep levels at this point.

Let the people of the Falklands decide their national status.

Why hasn't the international community worked this one out yet? Shouldn't we have worked something out around the time of the 1991 Gulf War.

They don't serve Atlasian intrests and interfere with our sovreginity. We need to take a more cautious approach with them.

We do need one. There is more to find out than just what the mainstream media and government tells us.

Reducing casualties of war is always a good thing in messy situations.

Freeze military funding at current levels. Further cuts would be detrimental to our national intrests. We tread carefully with China, they've been around for a long time for a reason. Iraq has still a ways to go before she'll be back as a regional power. Having them as an ally will make for potential dividends in the War on Terror.

Regarding the LRA, using childern to fight in the "name of God" is one of the most despicable things known to men. We should add them immediately as part of the list of terror groups the international community should go after. In fact we should do that right now. This should be a joint Atlasian/NATO effort to root Kony out and bring him to justice. We should also encourage religious missionaries to send more workers to this part of Africa and conduct a rescue operation to liberate the kids he's enslaved.

We are indeed an exceptional country. When we use the sword of justice rightly. When we are compassionate to the poor of the world while not stealing from our citizens through wrongful taxation (this is not a duty of government but of individuals and the faith communities) and the government recognizes it has limits and trusts the people to handle their personal affairs as long as they are not harming another. 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Conspiracy theories?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 09:08:39 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Conspiracy theories?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies