Mideast Senate Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:26:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Senate Debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Mideast Senate Debate  (Read 5278 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:53 PM »

JCL, I'm concerned about your 9/11 answer.  Do you really believe that there is more to 9/11 than the official story?  And also, how would you pay for such an investigation?  Would money have to be diverted from other, far worthier causes?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

To JCL: You have been accused of being a Tea Partier and an extremist, especially on social issues. What is your response to these attacks?

The Tea Party started as a reaction to many in power acting in ways they felt were not within the limits of the Constituition. Especially over fiscal issues. When the government decided to want more control of 1/6 of our economy (healthcare) we felt that was wrong and started getting involved in activism (some even running for office) Most of us had no experience in matters of political activism. Most of us were just everyday folks trying to live quiet and peaceful lives. So yes I am guilty of being a Tea Partier.

Now regarding social issues. I do understand why some think I'm rather extreme. My views on marijuana are closer to the mainstream of Atlasia than most conservatives. With regards to abortion I would say that the pro-life position is not one of being extreme. In a recent survey it was said that the pro-abortion view is only at 41 percent and going further in favor of the pro-life view.

I oppose Internet censorship. If parents not government think certain content is not for their or their child's benefit then filtering is ok. But that is on an individual basis. China is an example of what not to do regarding the Internet.

Marriage is where many here have their biggest "bone to pick with me". I think that marriage is between one man and one woman. The fact that government wants to regulate this most sacred of covenants is an overall symptom of a far bigger problem. If you are an artist would you want your canvas painting violated by grafitti (unless you were combining the two styles)? That is what God feels when humanity messes with the picture of how He looks at relationship with humanity. That's why I can't suppor gay marriage or civil unions. Yet on other matters when some of my fellow believers act in ways that are hateful, like the Fred Phelps crowd, and advocate jail or worse. I will not stand for that. Furthermore this shouldn't be a federal matter at all. The regions and the churches have final authority over marriage. I'm ok with other aspects of gay rights but not on marriage or adoption.  In the free speech angle of this issue I support full free speech on both sides. I oppose the laws some countries have against ministers who are trying to teach scriptural principals on these sensative issues. When I was in Kansas City over New Years weekend, I saw members of Occupy KC. They were protesting the speaker of that night over some incident involving Uganda. That is the beauty of our country. When religious conservatives and Occupy along with gay rights protestors can have their views heard civily without fear of interference from government, That shows there is hope for civility in the political class. History has yet to be written on this issue.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:27 PM »

JCL, I'm concerned about your 9/11 answer.  Do you really believe that there is more to 9/11 than the official story?  And also, how would you pay for such an investigation?  Would money have to be diverted from other, far worthier causes?

There are many on the left and right who think the investigation that did occur was tainted to serve political intrests of the time. Sarah Palin came out in support of a new investigation. I do believe Mike Gravel does too. A third or better believe there should be one. It's not a high priority at this time because we have more important issues like our debt crises. 

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23:28 PM »

There are many on the left and right who think the investigation that did occur was tainted to serve political intrests of the time. Sarah Palin came out in support of a new investigation. I do believe Mike Gravel does too. A third or better believe there should be one. It's not a high priority at this time because we have more important issues like our debt crises. 

You have GOT to be kidding...
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2012, 10:28:42 PM »

I never thought tinfoil hat wearers had much of an ideology...
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:38 PM »

Holy Mary mother of God, we have a 9/11 truther as a serious candidate in our region?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 11:03:51 PM »

Holy Mary mother of God, we have a 9/11 truther as a serious candidate in our region?

There is a difference between wanting a new investigation and flat out believing the truthers. I'm just asking for a fair and balanced investigation.

What action would you take in regards to Israel? The UN? Afghanistan? Where do y'all stand on conscription (specifically the current amendment being debated)?

Israel is our friend and brother in the cause of freedom. To press the Jewish people concede land for "peace" benefits neither us or them. If you really want to aid them then eliminate all foreign aid. I understand that may be unpopular but to quote Ron Paul “It doesn’t do any good for most of the people. You take money from poor people in this country and you end up giving it to rich people in poorer countries.” Often that "aid lands in the hands of the elites of the countries we send the money to. That's why I don't trust government handling charity.

I don't trust the UN but it's best to remain to be there for our friends.

Did we not all see the Russians fail to conquer Afganistan? Now that Osama has left this world to have the infinite justice of God fall upon him in eternity can we just leave? I think we can. But instead send educators, missionaries, and workers of compassion rather than agents of a foreign government. To quote a hero of mine in Calvin Coolidge

"America(Atlasia) seeks no earthly empire built on blood and force. No ambition, no temptation, lures her to thought of foreign dominions. The legions which she sends forth are armed, not with the sword, but with the cross. The higher state to which she seeks the allegiance of all mankind is not of human, but of divine origin. She cherishes no purpose save to merit the favor of Almighty God."

I'm absolutely willing to work with the other parties. I have many agreements with the left on enviromental issues. The honorable Senator Ben talks about striking a line. I could say that too.

We have no reason for conscription at this time. Yet I'm going to have to agree with Senator Clarence. It should be a final, emergency option if we need to muster a troop level that would rival the needs we had in World War 2. Limiting conscription to a declared war would suffice.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:48 PM »

So let me just get this clear... you're not a truther... but you're essentially asking for what they want... and based on the premise that the full investigation in the past was not fair or balanced?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2012, 02:34:03 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2012, 02:35:35 AM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

To the audience: Do not clutter this thread with comments! Only questions and the candidates' answers are wanted here!

Thank you.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2012, 02:56:21 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2012, 03:40:53 AM by Mideast Governor ZuWo »

A more general question to both of you, Senator Ben and former Assemblyman JCL:

In a nutshell, what makes you a better Senator than your opponent? Why should those Mideast citizens who are still undecided support you rather than the other candidate?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2012, 03:47:12 AM »

I'm not going to be online until Sunday evening, so I will leave you a couple more questions that you can debate. In the meantime, please behave. Wink

What is your opinion of the "Foreign Policy Transparency and Rationalization Amendment" introduced by Senator wormyguy?

What is your stance on the "Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act" introduced by Senator Clarence?

And, more generally, do you believe our region is on the right or the wrong track (policy- and activity-wise)? If you think our region is not on the right track, what can you personally do to improve our region?

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2012, 04:39:10 PM »

In a nutshell, what makes you a better Senator than your opponent? Why should those Mideast citizens who are still undecided support you rather than the other candidate?

I believe that my experience, both in terms of being a legislator and my general experience in Atlasia, makes me far more qualified.  I have been an extremely active legislator, having introduced 9 amendments, sponsored two pieces of legislation (while co-sponsoring a third), and having been present for nearly every vote in this Senate.  In addition, I am ideologically a far better fit with the people of the Mideast, moderate to liberal on economic issues, while tilting slightly to the right on social issues and foreign policy.  I am not an extremist, and I always strive to get the best possible results.

What is your opinion of the "Foreign Policy Transparency and Rationalization Amendment" introduced by Senator wormyguy?

As I said in the debate over the bill, I simply feel that it is too restrictive on future administrations, and so I oppose it.

What is your stance on the "Home and Private Schooling Tax Credit Act" introduced by Senator Clarence?

As a firm believer in public schools, I'll be voting against it.

And, more generally, do you believe our region is on the right or the wrong track (policy- and activity-wise)? If you think our region is not on the right track, what can you personally do to improve our region?

I'm generally of the opinion the region is on the right track, although it's a tad more conservative than I'd like.  I feel like we have an active legislature and active citizens, and that's definitely a good thing.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »

A more general question to both of you, Senator Ben and former Assemblyman JCL:

Ben has been a fine senator. Yet we are in times where a conservative leaning, especially on the economy and fiscal matters, vision is needed to address the difficult road our economy still faces. For instance look at the budget being debated in the senate proposed by the president. There is an imbalance of close to 90 billion dollars. Cuts have to be made and some of them are going to hurt. That means compromises must be made on both domestic spending and foreign spending. That's why I recommend that we cut all foreign aid. Why is 14 billion dollars of taxpayer funded revenue going to a green fund rather than to pay down a 12 trillion dollar debt?  Should the best of us pay more than half of their income in taxes? No. When government confiscates that much, it hinders private charity and thus when the debt is dealt with, the tax structure will see massive reform.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2012, 01:06:44 PM »

Should the best of us pay more than half of their income in taxes?

Wait, what?  The best?  Are you implying that wealthy people are somehow better than non-wealthy people?  If so, that's a rather disturbing idea.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2012, 04:35:01 PM »

Should the best of us pay more than half of their income in taxes?

Wait, what?  The best?  Are you implying that wealthy people are somehow better than non-wealthy people?  If so, that's a rather disturbing idea.

Not by a long shot. The best of Atlasia all around us. We all have gifts to contribute to society. It's not government's role to dictate the terms of how that happens. That belongs to God. Some, like yourself, seem to be blessed in the running of government. Or Badger who knows how to write budgets. Or my reminding us how all, no matter different their politics, or race, or religious creed, or gender be from the mainstream of Atlasian politics that even the smallest voice is one that should have their time to speak. Win or lose I will still be the voice of a silent majority.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 04:06:26 AM »

If there are no more questions by the audience or comments by Ben or JCL, the candidates may deliver their final statements.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 07:30:54 AM »

What would you do to address the Tuareg revolt in Northern Mali (including the new nation of Azawad)?

What is your position on the Somalia-Somaliland-Puntland dispute?

Where do you stand on Kosovo?

What would you do to protect and expand regional rights?

Where do you stand on age of consent laws?

What will you do to reform our copyright and trademark system?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 08:40:03 AM »

What would you do to address the Tuareg revolt in Northern Mali (including the new nation of Azawad)?

This is, frankly, an issue that Atlasia does not need to involve itself in.  I would leave it to the regional powers, while not recognizing Azawad until there is a clear consensus on the issue.

My inclination is to side with Somaliland on this, although I can be persuaded otherwise.

I've always been a strong supporter of Kosovo, and favor bringing it more into the international community.

In terms of expansion, I don't plan to do anything.  For protection, I have a consistent voting record of supporting the regions, and I intend to continue voting against any legislation that would infringe on regional rights.

That is, to me, a regional issue.  I tend to lean towards 16 being the age of consent.

That's not an area in which I have much expertise, but I'll happily work with the GM and other knowledgeable Senators to improve our current system.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 02:51:54 PM »

Thank you for the questions, SoEA SJoyceFla. JCL may respond to these questions as well and then we move on to the final statements of the two candidates. After the final statements, the debate will be closed.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 05:10:10 PM »

This is not a matter we should be involved in. Yet regarding the recognition of Azawad I would oppose that on grounds of concerns over religious freedom.

I think we should just stay out of it.

They should have a place at the table of free nations. My biggest concern is will they give allowance of religious freedom to the Christian minority without the mandating of the Jizya tax.

I see this as a matter of both protection and expansion of regional rights. We should strictly enforce the maxim of what is said in the 10 Amendment of the United States (Atlasian) Constuition.
This would include moving matters of healthcare back to the regions and the individuals.

As this is a regional issue the federal government should not under any circumstances step in. As for a matter of regional instance, it should be the age when one does not need parental consent to marry. That I do believe in most places to be between 16 and 19.

I would work with those more knowledgable to find a way to reform these laws and put first the respect for all property rights including those that are of a creative and intellectual nature.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 09:02:20 PM »

Would you support Glass-Steagall-type legislation for Atlasia?  (Sorry if I'm asking this late.)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2012, 09:23:33 PM »

Would you support Glass-Steagall-type legislation for Atlasia?  (Sorry if I'm asking this late.)

I would support a Glass-Steagall like law for Atlasia. The repeal under Clinton was one of the event that in the long run led to our current financial crises. I would sponsor such legislation if elected.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2012, 10:57:38 PM »

Of course.  Like JCL, I would happily co-sponsor such legislation.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2012, 03:14:26 AM »

Senator Ben and former Assemblyman JCL can now deliver their final statements.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:55 AM »

I'll be brief.  By voting for me, you get an experienced legislator with a record of achievement, who is not wedded to any one ideology and yet still is basically in line with what you believe.  Vote for me for experience, achievement, and pragmatism.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies