Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce - Are 5 year marriage contracts legal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:33:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce - Are 5 year marriage contracts legal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Cruise/Katie Holmes divorce - Are 5 year marriage contracts legal?  (Read 1070 times)
milhouse24
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »

Katie Holmes has filed for divorce from scientologist Tom Cruise after just a little over 5 years. 
This had led to speculation that there may have been a marriage contract with financial incentives per year and financial penalties for divorcing before 5 years. 
Tom Cruise may have been worried about his public image, so he wanted to guarantee at least a 5 year union, instead of a more embarrassing 1-2 year marriage. 

He may have agreed to a hefty marriage bonus after the 5 year mark.  I can understand why a rich person may want to protect their finances in the event of a short-term marriage.  He definitely does not want to lose Half his money if the marriage ends quickly.  But he also wants to give his wife a financial incentive to stay married to him despite potentially getting very little in a divorce due to the pre-nup. 

Do you think the pre-nup had a special 5 year bonus?  Do you think these 5 year escalation contracts are common for rich people?  How are these 5 year contracts organized? 

It makes Katie Holmes seem like a prostitute for staying in an unhappy marriage just for a 5 year million dollar bonus.  Do you think Tom was obligated to pay more if "he" was the one who decided to end the marriage first?  It seems unfair that Katie has to stay in the marriage, but what if Tom wanted to end it.  Or perhaps Tom just wanted to stay married forever, to have a beard to protect his image.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »

If you don't intend to stick together for life, don't get married. If this is true, I hope the two are charged with prostitution.
milhouse24
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:14:41 PM »

If you don't intend to stick together for life, don't get married. If this is true, I hope the two are charged with prostitution.

Well, without the 5 year pre-nup agreement, Katie Holmes may have been entitled to a 50-50 split of his fortune.  Pre-nups just promise what she gets in a divorce (with her getting more the longer she stays married).
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 08:11:44 AM »

Thank god for the sanctity of marriage!
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 10:09:56 AM »

Things can happen during the marriage that might not make this possible. It's not as black and white as you think.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 10:20:47 AM »

Of course, but you should be coming in with the hope and intention of permanence. To do otherwise is to make a far greater farce of marriage than any gay person.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:34:36 AM »

Um... on what grounds?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:33:16 PM »

Not surprising this finally happened. From what I know about this she wasn't exactly thrilled about how Scientology was running her life. I hope she gets sole custody of the child.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies