If Obama wins in 2012, does Christie run for reelection in 2013?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:03:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  If Obama wins in 2012, does Christie run for reelection in 2013?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: If Obama wins in 2012, does Christie run for reelection in 2013?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 39

Author Topic: If Obama wins in 2012, does Christie run for reelection in 2013?  (Read 7554 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2012, 06:18:26 AM »

Christie seems to be doing everything possible to let it be known that he would like to be president some day.  If Obama wins reelection this year, then there will be an open contest for the 2016 GOP nomination, and it'll give Christie as good a chance at the White House as he'll ever have.  So if he wants to run for prez in 2016, will he run for reelection as governor in 2013, or pull a Mitt Romney and retire after one term to focus on his presidential ambitions?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:09:45 AM »

Romney passed because he would lose. Christie will win in a landslide.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 08:23:54 AM »

Would that necessarily be the case if Booker runs though?  Maybe Christie would win that race now, but 17 months is a long time, and any number of things can happen.

If Christie ends up finding himself in a competitive race, then think about the media dynamics that'll develop.  Because everyone will know that Christie is a likely 2016 candidate, he will constantly be asked pointed ideological questions designed to box him in, so that he has to choose between appealing to a 2013 New Jersey general electorate and a 2016 GOP national primary electorate.  He can choose the former and win reelection but perhaps risk weakening his chances in 2016, or choose the latter, and risk losing reelection.  Is Christie really so popular in NJ that he can risk already having one eye on 2016 while running for a second term that he doesn't actually intend to finish?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:52:52 AM »

Booker said he's running for re-election in 2014, so Christie is safe.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:55:48 PM »

What Snow said.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »

Christie could certainly lose to people other than Booker.  However, he could also very well win reelection, while Romney was likely to lose by double-digits.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »

He's running and is favored. Romney was definitely going to lose. It's a win-win for Christie.

Boy, that 2016 field...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »

He's running and is favored. Romney was definitely going to lose. It's a win-win for Christie.

Boy, that 2016 field...

It will be interesting to see who gets to lose to Andrew Cuomo. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:11:53 PM »

A race between Chris Christie (R-NJ) and Chris Christie (D-NY) would be interesting.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »

A race between Chris Christie (R-NJ) and Chris Christie (D-NY) would be interesting.

First Italian - American President either way. One guy that I'd definitely love to see claim that title and one guy that I'd definitely would not. I'm not buying this moderate-ish Cuomo and his dad really irritates me.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:54 PM »

I love Mario, but not Andrew. Given that he's already antagonized unions and inner city minorities, I don't see him winning the nomination anyway.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »

Would that necessarily be the case if Booker runs though?  Maybe Christie would win that race now, but 17 months is a long time, and any number of things can happen.

If Christie ends up finding himself in a competitive race, then think about the media dynamics that'll develop.  Because everyone will know that Christie is a likely 2016 candidate, he will constantly be asked pointed ideological questions designed to box him in, so that he has to choose between appealing to a 2013 New Jersey general electorate and a 2016 GOP national primary electorate.  He can choose the former and win reelection but perhaps risk weakening his chances in 2016, or choose the latter, and risk losing reelection.  Is Christie really so popular in NJ that he can risk already having one eye on 2016 while running for a second term that he doesn't actually intend to finish?

I was under the impression that Booker had no intention of running against Christie but wanted to continue to work besides him by running for senator of NJ in the future. In terms of Democrats and Repubs working together Christie and Booker have a great dynamic
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »

Booker said he's running for re-election in 2014, so Christie is safe.

This probably.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 03:03:39 PM »

Booker isn't the only person who can beat Christie. Likewise, Booker wouldn't be invincible either.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 03:15:51 PM »

The President's party tends to do poorly in off-year elections, so Christie would be the favorite for reelection.

I imagine that he would run for a second term, as he seems to enjoy being Governor, and it gives him added credibility in later cycles.

That said, Romney and Edwards have shown that winning a single term is enough to be a credible contender for some time, following in the footsteps of President Jimmy Carter.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

Booker isn't the only person who can beat Christie. Likewise, Booker wouldn't be invincible either.

I agree but Christie is definitely favored right now. I just can't stand Booker, he's turning into Harold Ford Jr. 2.0.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 06:06:53 PM »

Boy, that 2016 field...

It will be interesting to see who gets to lose to Andrew Cuomo. Wink
And the 37th year of destruction of working class of america will begin.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »

I think unless his approvals take a steep dive and/or a strong challenger emerges, then he will. I agree with the notion that Booker will try for the Senate instead in 2014 due to the likelihood that Frank Lautenberg retires.

Plus, I think stepping down after one term would create too much of paralel to Romney, which only hurts him in this scenario. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 07:26:46 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Not only does Christie run for reelection regardless of who wins, but he wins too.  He wouldn't be a favorite but he would still probably win.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 03:51:58 AM »

He wouldn't be a favorite but he would still probably win.

That sentence makes no sense.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:02 AM »

I dislike the term "favorite" and would prefer a term like "frontrunner".
technical support
thrillr1111
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 08:39:01 PM »

I agree but Christie is definitely favored right now. I just can't stand Booker, he's turning into Harold Ford Jr. 2.0.

I can't agree with you more.
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2012, 10:41:09 PM »

I can't agree with you more.

If anything Booker should run for Senate, Lautenberg is pretty old and hecould retire/die in office before 2014. Also, Booker won't run against Christie like has been mentioned before in other threads. Because Christie has been a strong and important political ally for Booker's reforms in Newark.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »

Christie runs for re-election in 2013. Democratic opposition will either be former US Rep Steve Rothman who was a victim of redistricting. US Rep Robert Andrews from South Jersey who ran for Governor in 1997 but lost in the primary to McGreevey.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 07:33:36 AM »

Christie runs for re-election in 2013. Democratic opposition will either be former US Rep Steve Rothman who was a victim of redistricting. US Rep Robert Andrews from South Jersey who ran for Governor in 1997 but lost in the primary to McGreevey.

No it won't.

It'll be a State Senator or Assemblyman. I'm thinking either Buono or Greenwald.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies