Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 04:55:47 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  did obama under-perform in ia and mn in 08?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: ....
yes   -9 (47.4%)
no   -10 (52.6%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: did obama under-perform in ia and mn in 08?  (Read 811 times)
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:28:28 am »
Ignore

the answer is obviously yes.  i remember some of the more political astute people on the atlas predicting an obama victory near 20 points in both states...and some of the polls suggested that.

more importantly, especially in regards to ia, will he underperform this year?

Guys, I am not mentally ill or mentally handicapped in any way. . 
I can cook scrambled eggs and bacon or fry a hamburger on the George Foreman, or, with assistance, fix spaghetti.
farewell
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:02:00 am »
Ignore

Minnesota is notoriously unelastic, but you're right that Obama underperformed relative to our expectations. Not sure wth you're thinking about Iowa.

I may conceivably reconsider.

Knowing me it's more likely than not.
Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:52:39 am »
Ignore

Compared to what? He seems to have overperformed in MI, WI, and IL.
WalterMitty
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:53:57 am »
Ignore

Compared to what? He seems to have overperformed in MI, WI, and IL.

compared to pre election polls and/or expectations.

Guys, I am not mentally ill or mentally handicapped in any way. . 
I can cook scrambled eggs and bacon or fry a hamburger on the George Foreman, or, with assistance, fix spaghetti.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:21 am »
Ignore

Lewis I think has a point about MN inelasticity. Iowa is kind of a weird state. I know it so well, yet don't know it.

Snowstalker
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.39, S: -3.30

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:14 am »
Ignore

Yes in Iowa, no in New Mexico.

JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 05:06:14 pm »
Ignore

Yes, definitely, Minnesota is very unelastic, maybe because it's too polarized, idk. And in IA, he finnally won by 9 points didn't him? It was probably for the same reasons of MN.

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:51:03 pm »

IIRC, didn't the public polls have Obama way way ahead in Iowa, and everyone was wondering why McCain was wasting any time campaigning there?  But it actually ended up being the tipping point state.  Maybe McCain's internal polls were picking up something that the public polls weren't.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:56 am »
Ignore

Minnesota is notoriously unelastic, but you're right that Obama underperformed relative to our expectations. Not sure wth you're thinking about Iowa.

Swing Voters and Elastic States

Where elasticity is defined as the amount the state would swing with a 1% uniform swing:

Minnesota      1.01
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 01:06:02 am »
Ignore

Yeah, I think it was more that he wildly over performed in Wisconsin, Indiana, etc.

LiberalJunkie
LiberalJunkie99
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 02:40:00 am »
Ignore

Yes in Iowa, It showed him up there by 13 points I think I even saw one as high as 17. In Minnesota maybe but the Republicans did have their convention there so that might of factored In somehow.
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 11:34:51 am »
Ignore

Swing Voters and Elastic States

Where elasticity is defined as the amount the state would swing with a 1% uniform swing:

Minnesota      1.01

That is a poor measure of elasticity. He doesn't look at actual voting patterns at all; it just measures the percentage of respondents in the 2008 exit poll who lack demographic characteristics that are  strong predictors of voting behavior. However, whether a given demographic group is elastic is independent of whether membership in the group is a strong predictor of voting behavior. Say group A consists of 50% loyal Dems and 50% loyal Reps, whereas group B consists of 75% loyal Dems, 20% swing voters and 5% loyal Reps. Group B is more elastic despite membership in group B being a stronger predictor of voting behavior.

A better measure can be found using the actual voting results on this website. In 8 of the 10 past elections, Minnesota has trended, in Leip's sense, towards the party whose percentage of the two-party vote declines.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:42:03 am by The Great Pumpkin »Logged
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 12:45:32 pm »
Ignore

Minnesota was, IIRC, the only state in the entire country where McCain outspent Obama. McCain also kept spending and campaigning in Iowa long after it became clear he couldn't win the state.

a combination of tumblr leftism and moshing
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 12:51:31 pm »
Ignore

Minnesota was, IIRC, the only state in the entire country where McCain outspent Obama. McCain also kept spending and campaigning in Iowa long after it became clear he couldn't win the state.

That is correct. It's worth looking at the trend map:

This is pretty close to a map of counties in non-Minnesota media markets. That large chunk of red in the northwest is basically the Fargo/Moorhead media market. Those red counties in the southwest corner are Sioux Falls, and the two in the southeast are La Crosse, WI. Almost every county in a non-Minnesota media market trended toward Obama.

Famous True Leftists:

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »
Ignore

That is correct. It's worth looking at the trend map:

This is pretty close to a map of counties in non-Minnesota media markets. That large chunk of red in the northwest is basically the Fargo/Moorhead media market. Those red counties in the southwest corner are Sioux Falls, and the two in the southeast are La Crosse, WI. Almost every county in a non-Minnesota media market trended toward Obama.

And yet, having a money advantage is supposed to be meaningless for elections and doesn't affect the outcome...
Nichlemn
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »
Ignore

A better measure can be found using the actual voting results on this website. In 8 of the 10 past elections, Minnesota has trended, in Leip's sense, towards the party whose percentage of the two-party vote declines.

That's relevant, but a demographic argument gives weight to the hypothesis that it's not just noise or the idiosyncrasies of the specific races.
cope1989
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 07:51:35 pm »
Ignore

PPP just showed Obama at 54 and Romney at 39. Maybe Obama actually did underperform there in 2008 and 2012 will be a return to the norm.

Can't we all just get along?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout