Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 12:22:20 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE1: Northeast Bicycle Safety Act [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast Bicycle Safety Act [Failed]  (Read 1162 times)
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »
Ignore

Northeast Bicycle Safety Act

In an effort to more effectively prevent or curb potential injury to bicycle riders in the Northeast, all bicycle and tricycle riders, of all ages, are to wear approved standard bicycle helmets.

Sponsor: Representative Winfield
Debate expires: 6:00 pm, Monday, June 11
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:21:39 am by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

Senator Alfred F. Jones
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:17:43 pm »
Ignore

I'm all for bike safety, but this is just too much.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 06:29:36 pm »
Ignore

This is a no-brainer.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 09:13:59 pm »
Ignore

This is a no-brainer.

Pun intended?

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 09:15:40 pm »
Ignore

What is an "approved standard bicycle helmet?"

This is a no-brainer.

Heh.

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:17:15 pm »
Ignore

Who knew Simfan was a shill for the helmet industry?

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:18:51 pm »
Ignore

Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:19:10 pm »
Ignore

Once again, those dimwitted enough to make poor life decisions will make them with or without this kind of legislation. You know what is guaranteed to make a difference? Subsidizing transportation safety programs. I'd also suggest government regulated bicycle helmets to be given free of charge to those who attend such programs.
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:50:48 pm »
Ignore

Wow, they actually got it!

Once again, those dimwitted enough to make poor life decisions will make them with or without this kind of legislation. You know what is guaranteed to make a difference? Subsidizing transportation safety programs. I'd also suggest government regulated bicycle helmets to be given free of charge to those who attend such programs.

I could get behind this. Also, more bike lanes.

Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:32 pm »
Ignore

Northeast Bicycle Safety Act

In an effort to more effectively prevent or curb potential injury to bicycle riders in the Northeast, all bicycle and tricycle riders, under the age of 18, are to wear approved standard bicycle helmets.

More acceptable, no?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 10:12:37 pm »
Ignore

http://www.ibike.org/education/helmet.htm

It is common to see people involved in sports wearing head protection. Football players wear helmets. Rock climbers wear helmets. River rafters wear helmets. Hockey players wear helmets. And for good reason--each sport presents a risk of head injury. Bicycling presents a similar hazard and requires similar precautions. Though the overall numbers and risk are not high, about 75% of all bicyclist deaths each year result from head injuries. More cyclists are permanently impaired by riding their heads into curbs, poles and the pavement. Scrapes and broken bones heal, but scrambled brains may not.

Much of this tragedy is preventable. The premier intervention is to learn safe bicycling technique, understand motorist behavior and bicycling defensively.  There is no substitute for good bicycling!  The next simple precaution of wearing a bicycle helmet may prevent severe injury or save a life--yours.

Many serious bicycle accidents happen on 'quiet' residential streets, in parking lots and on bike paths. A large number, 90%, of bicycle accidents don't even involve automobiles. Accidents also aren't a scourge of just beginner riders, or just experienced riders, or just young riders, or just older riders. Every bicyclist is wise to wear a helmet, regardless of age, and whether riding across th street or across the continent.

There are other benefits. Most helmets are brightly colored so drivers can see you better and will take you more seriously. A helmet also provides protection from weather, including sun, rain and hailstones. But the main reason to wear a helmet is to protect your brains from damage in an unexpected impact.

Compared to the lifetime cost of a head injury the cost of a bike helmet is cheap. Think about tomorrow, buy and wear a helmet today.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:20:42 pm by Obama, The Democrat Hoover »Logged

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:34 pm »
Ignore

If you're going to copy something from a website word for word, at least provide us a source Winfield.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:01 pm »
Ignore

As long as the helmet protects your head in the event of an accident, but this wording in the bill can be worked on.

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 10:19:12 pm »
Ignore

Winfield, the claims in your most recent post are reasonable*, but I don't think that any of those who are opposed to this bill would claim that wearing a helmet isn't a good idea.

*With one possible exception: I'm not sure what you mean when you say someone wearing a bright helmet is "taken more seriously."

I would vote in support of Cincinnatus' proposal if the age maximum were reduced to 16.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:20:12 pm »
Ignore

If you're going to copy something from a website word for word, at least provide us a source Winfield.

Plagiarism? In the Assembly? Representative Winfield, this is unacceptable.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 10:21:10 pm »
Ignore

Whoops, my mistake.

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 10:23:26 pm »
Ignore

Whoops, my mistake.

Respect the Source!  Lol  Tongue

I would vote in support of Cincinnatus' proposal if the age maximum were reduced to 16.

Another agreeable amendment (which would mirror NY law).
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »
Ignore

I support the aim of this bill.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 10:29:45 pm »
Ignore

Whoops, my mistake.

Respect the Source!  Lol  Tongue

Alright, I already said it was my mistake.  I forgot, I am only human.

Anything else?

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
oakvale
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 10:37:18 pm »
Ignore

Not to meddle in my former home region's affairs (Wink), but Cincinnatus linked me to this on the IRC chat. Anyway, this is obviously good, common sense legislation. I'm a little surprised we don't have a national version of this. Wearing a helment on a bike is like wearing a seatbelt in a car - a simple precaution that saves lives.

Seriously, go die in a ditch, anti-semitic scumbag.
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2012, 10:40:09 pm »
Ignore

I don't think a maximum age is helpful. Every biker should be wearing a helmet.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 10:58:05 pm »
Ignore

I don't think a maximum age is helpful. Every biker should be wearing a helmet.

That is why my bill states all riders and does not specify any age. 

This bill will not only save lives, it will cut down tremendously on medical bills due to drastic reductions on head injuries suffered as a result of bicycle accidents where the rider was not wearing a helmet.

WORST PRESIDENT
SINCE WORLD WAR II
Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 11:58:26 pm »
Ignore

Although well intended, I simply don't think legislation making bicycle helmets required by law will prevent injuries on a major scale. Most of us know that helmets prevent most head injuries, yet some are still foolish enough to put their lives at risk by not wearing them. Do you really believe these people will suddenly be more inclined to wear helmets if not doing so is punishable by law?

The same went for seatbelts when that was the hot topic. It became illegal not to wear one, and from this, I know the major change was simply more violations and fines. Those vehemently against utilizing seatbelts still were against the idea, and did not wear them. Arguably worse, is that a large portion of older Atlasians reach for their seatbelts when a police vehicle comes near, tries to buckle it in time to not be caught, and if they go unnoticed, immediately unbuckles their safety belts. They do not see it as a tool to save their lives, but as a target to get pulled over. This is the wrong way of looking at this important issue.

Instead of wasting money punishing those not wearing helmets, we should be getting the word out how wearing one can save your life. The same goes for every potentially dangerous activity: drug use, alcohol consumption, suicide attempts, purchasing hunting tools, etc. Legal or not, people will do these things.

Therefore, I propose the following:

In an effort to more effectively prevent or curb potential injury to bicycle and motorcycle riders in the Northeast, our government will immediately begin working on instilling transportation safety programs, and improve upon existing programs throughout the region. Standard, government approved bicycle helmets will be available free of charge for those who attend and/or are involved with the safety programs (1 per person).

All major roads throughout the region are required to include bicycle lanes.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2012, 05:44:26 am »
Ignore

Winfield, let me know if the amendment is not friendly so that I can put it to a vote and we can continue debate.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:39 am »
Ignore

Regardless of the benefits of wearing a helmet, I need to know why a law requiring that helmets be worn by cyclists is necessary and likely to be helpful. It seems to me that some other approach might be more likely to increase rates of helmet use.

Furthermore, Winfield's proposal does not discuss the kinds of penalties to which violators of this statute will be subject. If the penalty specified is a fine, I'm unlikely to support this bill in any form.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout