jewish evangelical relations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:31:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  jewish evangelical relations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: jewish evangelical relations  (Read 1029 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:12:31 AM »

Normally, I wouldn't be surprised if jewish americans disliked evangelicals as I've always thought that there is a lot of thinly veiled antisemitism in the religious right. But I remember reading a poll that like 70-80% of all evangelicals have a favorable opinion of jewish people. So my question is why don't they like them back?

My other question is: Would this open the door to democrats peeling off a number of evangelicals if they ran a jewish president who stressed the importance of israel (think of someone like Berman)? I've always thought it would be clever for the dems to run a jewish candidate because it would guilt many evangelicals into voting democrat for fear of being labeled antisemitic.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:18:45 AM »

It should come as a surprise to no one that the jmfcst vision for Israel and the Middle East is not something Jews find appealing, even if it is nominally "supporting Israel".
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:03:26 AM »

It should come as a surprise to no one that the jmfcst vision for Israel and the Middle East is not something Jews find appealing, even if it is nominally "supporting Israel".

True, but AIPAC and the usual suspects need to use them to scare Congress into continuing to support Likud. It's a rather tight rope to walk on.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 05:27:58 AM »

My other question is: Would this open the door to democrats peeling off a number of evangelicals if they ran a jewish president who stressed the importance of israel (think of someone like Berman)? I've always thought it would be clever for the dems to run a jewish candidate because it would guilt many evangelicals into voting democrat for fear of being labeled antisemitic.
You'd probably lose more than you'd gain.  Several groups in your big tent would have many many of it's rank and file staying home on election day I'm guessing.  These people wouldn't want to be labeled anti-Semitic either (even though they obviously would be).
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 10:44:21 AM »

You'd probably lose more than you'd gain.  Several groups in your big tent would have many many of it's rank and file staying home on election day I'm guessing.  These people wouldn't want to be labeled anti-Semitic either (even though they obviously would be).

That explains why Jewish Democrats have such trouble getting elected or nominated in states with a wide cross section of Democratic demographics like New York and California. Roll Eyes
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »

Jews are also extremely resentful of the agressive prostlyzing of evangelicals. And the holier than thou atitude. And the constant attempt to bring Christianity into the government. And the conservative politics with its cult of victimization.  I don't think evangelicals know the frst thing about Jewish people other than that Jesus was one..
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies