Most Negative Western action of the Cold War?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:11:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Most Negative Western action of the Cold War?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Most Negative Western action of the Cold War?  (Read 5105 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 04:42:32 PM »

Bombing of Laos during the Second Indochina War ("Vietnam War"). Throwing more bombs per capita than in any other war on a peasant population without a clue as to why they where being bombed. Counterproductive too. Hardly any Commies in Laos when they started, plenty when they left. Left Laos as a North Vietnamese fiefdom.
Rooney
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2012, 06:31:20 PM »

I had a post upthread about people eliminating agency of foreign peoples and annexing their history into US history, and this is a great example.  Nationalist China wasn't "lost" by anyone in the US, it was lost by the incompetent, brutal, and corrupt Chiang regime which managed to alienate vast swathes of the population and proved utterly unable to defeat the CCP.  Chiang lost the Chinese Civil War (or rather Mao won it), not the US.
I agree with your statement that far to often the history of sovereign nations is co opted by U.S. history centric posters and my statement is a good example of this. However it does not make it wrong. General Marshall convinced General Chiang to not attack the Communists at Harbin and cut them off to the north of China. Had Marshall not given this poor advice to Chiang than Mao would have "won" the north of China but lost the rest of the nation. With the Soviets backing Mao with engineers and army railway corp members the war may well have continued but it would have been only in North China.

Chiang may well have been overthrown anyway but not by Mao. General Marshall scrapped the U.S. Exp-Imp Bank loan and halted the advance against Harbin. General Marshall was a "soldier of the world" and what he did in China in 1946 is significant to the history of the Chinese Civil War.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »
« Edited: August 09, 2012, 11:28:07 AM by Rhodie »

Zim 1979 Sad
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2012, 11:46:27 AM »

I agree with your statement that far to often the history of sovereign nations is co opted by U.S. history centric posters and my statement is a good example of this. However it does not make it wrong.

Yes it does.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies