Romney Picks Mike Leavitt to Lead Transition Team
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:02:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Picks Mike Leavitt to Lead Transition Team
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney Picks Mike Leavitt to Lead Transition Team  (Read 1776 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »

Mike Leavitt pick may be signal on exchanges

By JASON MILLMAN | 6/5/12 11:21 PM EDT

The selection of Mike Leavitt to lead Mitt Romney’s transition team doesn’t mean the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance exchanges are here to stay. But it is a reminder of how some Republicans, regardless of the ACA, have already been circling behind the exchange concept.

It also gives the health care world an idea of how exchanges could look under a Romney administration. In all likelihood, they’d be portals — the way Leavitt’s home state of Utah did them — and not much like the more active marketplaces of the Affordable Care Act.

News over the weekend of Leavitt’s involvement in a would-be Romney administration sent some on the right into near apoplectic shock that Romney would pick someone who’s profiting from ACA implementation. Leavitt’s firm is making millions advising states on how to design exchanges, the ACA’s state-based marketplaces that will deliver federal subsidies to purchase insurance and enable about half of the law’s coverage expansion.

But a President Romney would obviously still be the guy calling the shots, and of course he’s repeatedly stressed his dedication to blowing up the health care law on Day One and starting from scratch. His campaign again made that much clear following some weekend chatter over Leavitt’s role.

If a Romney replacement plan does surface, though, it’s possible that exchanges — an idea that has Republican roots — could be in the mix of options. And if exchanges were to be resurrected, they wouldn’t look very much like those in President Barack Obama’s health care law, if Leavitt’s and Romney’s own history with exchanges is any indication.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more:
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:18:02 PM »

And in case anyone' curious, here is a link to the Utah Health Exchange. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »

The selection of Mike Leavitt to lead Mitt Romney’s transition team

When did Mitt Romney win the election?
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »

I'm interested in hearing him present a fully alternative to Obamacare. When all you here is "repeal,repeal,repeal" you start to wonder what he'd actully do with healthcare.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

Every major party nominee always has a transition team -just in case.  It wouldn't look good for Romney if he didn't have one, as if to say to his supporters he doesn't expect to win.  

I'm interested in hearing him present a fully alternative to Obamacare. When all you here is "repeal,repeal,repeal" you start to wonder what he'd actully do with healthcare.

I would be keenly interested as well. I am not too impressed with what's on his campaign website so far, substance-wise. 
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

I don't understand why the right is in an uproar about this...What did they expect? This is the guy who basically founded Obamacare on a state level. He might sell himself as this far right guy but he's always governed as a moderate so If he's replacing Obamacare I'd assume his plan would have many aspects seen in Obamacare. This is the founder of Romneycare not Newt Gingrich lol
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 06:07:56 PM »

Every major party nominee always has a transition team -just in case.  It wouldn't look good for Romney if he didn't have one, as if to say to his supporters he doesn't expect to win.  

Thanks for an explanation. I still think it's rather stupid practice, for both parties.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 07:57:44 PM »

Thanks for an explanation. I still think it's rather stupid practice, for both parties.

Given the lack of a shadow cabinet in our system, it's a reasonable practice.  Ideally, I hope that Romney has a clear idea who he wants in his cabinet by the time Election Day comes along, assuming that the downticket races go as anticipated or desired.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

So we get Huntsmancare, yes? Then I've won.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2012, 10:44:28 PM by Frodo »

I am almost positive that whatever Romney comes up with, it will preserve the most popular aspects of Obamacare like closing the Medicare Part D prescription drug 'donut hole' by at least 2020, and letting parents keep their kids on their plans until they reach the age of 26, among other examples.  

I wonder if Romney is thinking of using Sen. Ron Wyden's Healthy Americans Act as a model for where he wants to go on health care.    
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 10:37:42 PM »

Romney Picks Mike Le...

Mormon power!
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:39:12 PM »

True, but also a proven leader, organizer, and talented executive.

I was surprised Romney picked another Mormon for this important job, but he may just very well be the best one for this responsibility.  

It should not matter anyway whether the leader of the transition team is a Mormon, Catholic, Protestant, is Jewish, or whatever, as long as that particular person is qualified to do the job, and to do it well, which Leavitt can.  
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 09:52:06 PM »

Leavitt to Beaver.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: