New strategies for the top 2 blanket primary
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:57:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New strategies for the top 2 blanket primary
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New strategies for the top 2 blanket primary  (Read 1294 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 09, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »

In this case, there was a heavily Democratic district, and a Democrat knew he'd qualify so he encouraged people to vote for a Republican so that he'd avoid a more unpredictable Democrat vs Democrat race, and instead have an easy November win against a Republican.

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/jun/08/vargas-picks-opponent-in-race-for-congress/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »

Not a fan of the new blanket primary. I hope it gets overturned.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:04 PM »

A previous version did.  Even if this version did get overturned, I would hope that the court would go for a minimal overturn that strikes down including partisan labels on the blanket primary ballot.  The only constitutional argument over it is that it interferes with the ability of the parties to freely associate.  If there are no party labels, there is no such interference.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:35:30 AM »

Juan Vargas is scum. That's not news.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »

I am just opposite and would like to see such primaries in ALL 50 states. There would be less partisan gerrymandering during redistricting, and more change during elections. I really very strongly dislike BOTH existing political parties as they are now....
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 01:24:23 PM »

Yet another reason why this kind of primary is horrible
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 02:52:21 PM »

Yet another reason why this kind of primary is horrible

It's horrible only for one type of persons i don't care about - partisan "activists". And party organizations as they are, which value "ideological purity" over people's will. I don't care about such party organizations either...
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 02:56:17 PM »

Freedom Primary. Maybe some real left wingers get elected out of it.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »

I am just opposite and would like to see such primaries in ALL 50 states. There would be less partisan gerrymandering during redistricting, and more change during elections. I really very strongly dislike BOTH existing political parties as they are now....

If you dislike both existing political parties why would you want a primary that reinforces the political dichotomy? It's also disadvantageous to Reps/Dem in districts that are heavily tilted one way or the other: those registered Ds and Rs are forced to vote between two candidates that are likely nowhere near their views.

The ballot for Senate was hideous as well. I really do hope that the old primary is put into place by popular referendum. Why Prop 14 passed with a 6-point margin is beyond me.

Freedom Primary. Maybe some real left wingers get elected out of it.

"Real left winger." "Purists" like you will be the death of the party. Go Big (Tent) or go home.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:46:52 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 09:38:42 AM by smoltchanov »

If you dislike both existing political parties why would you want a primary that reinforces the political dichotomy? It's also disadvantageous to Reps/Dem in districts that are heavily tilted one way or the other: those registered Ds and Rs are forced to vote between two candidates that are likely nowhere near their views.

Because this way there is a chance for moderates to be heard by both political parties. Because such system makes more likely that Democratic candidate will be... well, reasonable liberal, able to get some crossover support, not far-far-left loonie, and Republican - well, reasonable conservative, or (in proper district) even moderate. Before that loonies in both parties almost guaranteed that candidates of both parties would be very extreme. As a result (i have relatives in California and heard from them first hand) - moderates like me and my relatives were essentially denied choice - "their" candidates had no chances of winning. The only 2 choices (and both - bad) - vote for the "lesser evil" or don't vote at all..
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »

Yes, the idea is to try to make more centrist types more viable. I suspect Sherman will beat Berman for example because of this system. And it gives Pubs in the Bay area something to do at last.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »

Yes, the idea is to try to make more centrist types more viable. I suspect Sherman will beat Berman for example because of this system. And it gives Pubs in the Bay area something to do at last.

+1
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies