269-269 ties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:04:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  269-269 ties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 269-269 ties  (Read 2513 times)
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:09:25 AM »

Here's an example. Tell me if you think it's the likeliest and/or make your own map response. And feel free to offer explanations of swings state electoral wins on my map and yours.

Romney-Petraeus 269 Obama-Biden 269

Romney performs strongly in Midwestern Rust Belt with middle-class voters while Barry hangs onto the West thanks to a strong 3rd party showing by Gary Johnson.

But who wins the House? Is the Tea Party kicked out? Same as before? Democrat or Republican?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:03:10 AM »

First off, there will be strong showing by Johnson, unless you count getting over 2% in a couple of non-swing states to be a strong showing.

If the election results in a 269-269 tie, the GOP will keep the House and the necessary 26 State delegations to put Romney in the White House.  Uncertain who, if anyone, gets control of the Senate and this picks the VP.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:10:27 AM »

I really wish the people would stop with this "Petraeus as Romney's running mate" nonsense. It's just as silly as considering Obama dropping Biden from the ticket. Waste of time and thread.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 01:21:09 PM »

I really don't think there's a viable tie path with the current EV distribution (there definitely was a viable path in 2004 and 2008).
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 01:23:58 PM »

I really wish the people would stop with this "Petraeus as Romney's running mate" nonsense. It's just as silly as considering Obama dropping Biden from the ticket. Waste of time and thread.

Defense is the GOP's weakest plank this election. Moral has BHO's gay marriage endorsement to rail against and Fiscal has the prolonged economic slump which Romney himself hopes to take advantage of. If he picks a Condi Rice or David petraues and capitalizes on the polarizing issue of Syria, then 269/270 doesn't seem too unrealistic for such a bland rental pol.
Indy Prez
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 01:32:36 PM »

I really don't think there's a viable tie path with the current EV distribution (there definitely was a viable path in 2004 and 2008).

Sure there is. Are. Many, in fact. here's another perfectly reasonable, realistic 269 map.

Romney-Paul 269 Obama-Biden 269

Here, Romney effectively renders gary Johnson irrelevant with his libertarianish running mate and hits rural midwestern states harder wth culture war issues and the Syrian conflict.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:37:09 PM »

As I already pointed out, Romney doesn't have to do anything to render Johnson irrelevant.  Johnson already did that by deciding to run as a Libertarian.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »

It seemed that there were quite a few posted on this thread three weeks ago. (Mild nudge to the moderators to merge these threads.)
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 02:59:42 PM »

Defense is the GOP's weakest plank this election. Moral has BHO's gay marriage endorsement to rail against and Fiscal has the prolonged economic slump which Romney himself hopes to take advantage of. If he picks a Condi Rice or David petraues and capitalizes on the polarizing issue of Syria, then 269/270 doesn't seem too unrealistic for such a bland rental pol.

Petraeus accepted a presidential appointment less than a year ago and never has shown any interest in electoral politics.

And how is Syria polarizing in the U.S.?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 05:24:00 PM »

Romney-Reagan 269 Obama-Biden 269
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »

For the last time, there's a little problem preventing Petraeus from running for Vice President. He is an incumbent CIA Director and, by holding a government appointed office, he's legally barred from not only running, but also taking part in any political campaign. And, frankly, I can't see him suddenly quiting.

As of Condi, she's a living symbol of Bush administration foreign policy failures. I don't believe Romney would be that stupid to not realize that.

Beside, picking a defense/national security oriented figure wouldn't be good for Romney. His shot at winning is to make this election about economy and he should stay focused on internal affairs. Picking someone with defense/national security record would be a big, crying "I'm picking the guy, because I have no idea about foreign and defense policies, but I'm trying so hard to appear good on this". 
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 08:17:58 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies