Question the Power: Ask the Governor anything (Mideast Edition)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:46:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Question the Power: Ask the Governor anything (Mideast Edition)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Question the Power: Ask the Governor anything (Mideast Edition)  (Read 2664 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:47:42 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=151526.0

According to the "Questioning the Power Act", the Governor is required to open a thread every month in which citizens of the Mideast can ask questions. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Let's see how this turns out!
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »

The Mideast has had a noticeable influx on new residents in recent weeks after months of stagnation. What has the Mideast regional government done to foster this new wave of growth?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:19:21 PM »

Thanks for the question! You saved me from a major embarrassment, TJ. Wink

I have personally contacted a couple of Atlas Forum users and invited them to join the game. I am glad to see that some of them have actually registered as citizens of the Mideast. However, the work doesn't stop here. The real challenge is to encourage these new users to get involved in the game. It remains to be seen whether this is possible - I'm trying my best.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »

Do you think it would help to get more people involved if we repealed the amendment that reduced the number of assembly seats to three? We have a lot of new residents who cannot do anything on the Regional level for two more months, and even then would have to run against an incumbent assemblyman. It seemed to me at least like the Mideast had more activity back in the days when we had 5 assemblymen even if one or two were inactive.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 04:22:05 AM »

Do you think it would help to get more people involved if we repealed the amendment that reduced the number of assembly seats to three? We have a lot of new residents who cannot do anything on the Regional level for two more months, and even then would have to run against an incumbent assemblyman. It seemed to me at least like the Mideast had more activity back in the days when we had 5 assemblymen even if one or two were inactive.

The number of assembly seats is not permanently reduced to three. In fact, if there are six or more candidates running for Assembly at the next election the Assembly will consist of five members. With the recent influx of new citizens this may actually be possible.

The problem I see with repealing this amendment is that it is very difficult to get competitive elections if the number of Assembly seats is five regardless of the number of people who are running for a seat. During the last election with the new constitutional amendment in place we had four candidates running for three seats, which made for a competitive election and led to higher turnout. Thus, I think the amendment can be considered a success so far but it's too early to make a definite judgment.

Furthermore, we could discuss the re-establishment of the office of Lt. Governor. This would create another office Mideast citizens could run for. However, if we create the Lt. Governor's office again we have to give the future Lt. Governor more responsibilities so that there is a real motivation for our citizens to run for this seat.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 04:35:20 AM »

Question Time (July edition)

In accordance to the "Questioning the Power Act", I hereby open the second question time session. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »

Do you feel that the "right" people were elected in the recent Assembly election? In other words, do you believe that the next legislative session will be one of activity?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:25:44 AM »

Do you feel that the "right" people were elected in the recent Assembly election? In other words, do you believe that the next legislative session will be one of activity?

Absolutely. I think that the five people who have been elected deserve it because they have demonstrated that they want to serve as Assemblymembers. They all opened campaign offices where they outlined some of their convictions or participated in the debate. While this doesn't guarantee that the next legislative session will be one of activity, it is certainly a positive start.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 07:43:42 PM »

What do you view as an appropriate running distance?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 02:00:23 AM »

What do you view as an appropriate running distance?

For lazy people like myself: About 200 meters, 300 at best. For decent runners like yourself: I guess 3 miles. For professionals such as TJ: 10 miles at least.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:31 AM »

As many have expected, the "Questioning the Power Act" is not a resounding success. I will give this question time format one more chance in August and if there are not a couple more questions I will introduce a bill to repeal the "Questioning the Power Act".
Nevertheless, I would like to thank those people who have asked questions so far. Wink
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:23:49 PM »

Do you have a child and if not, why do you hate children?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2012, 06:51:19 PM »

This past Assembly session was not an active one, one of the slowest in recent memory. What do you plan on doing next session to help boost activity?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2012, 07:10:02 PM »

Opinion of the quote:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2012, 08:58:09 PM »

This past Assembly session was not an active one, one of the slowest in recent memory. What do you plan on doing next session to help boost activity?

This Assembly has actually been more active than recent ones. If you want to go to truly active Assemblies you have to look probably a year plus ago.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:22:09 AM »

This Assembly has actually been more active than recent ones. If you want to go to truly active Assemblies you have to look probably a year plus ago.
Really? Has an Assemblymen even introduced a bill this session? I think the Governor and I are the only ones. Compare it to the Northeast or IDS, and we've really fallen in back. We used to be #1 in regional governments. I don't see that dominance anymore.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »

Do you have a child and if not, why do you hate children?

This is a brilliant question. You should apply for a job at FoxNews or a similarly biased media outlet of the left. Wink

No, I don't have a child and there are moments I'm not particularly fond of having one (for example when I see how terribly a child can behave in public) but I like children in general.

I agree with A-Bob that we have seen far worse ("worse" in terms of activity and the number of bills that were debated) legislative sessions in the past. However, you are right, more could have been achieved during the last two months.

As the representative of the executive branch of the regional government my influence on the Assembly, the legislative branch, is limited, which I think is sensible. What I did in the last legislative session and what I will continue to do in the next one to help boost activity is introduce bills on my own and comment on bills that are introduced by other people. Additionally, I will reach out to individual members of the Assembly in order to work with them on particular pieces of legislation, as in the previous session. That's what I can guarantee, and there's not much more I can or should do with regards to the work of the Assembly. For example, due to the separation of powers I don't think I could or should have any say in procedural matters that only concern the Assembly. That's the job of the newly elected members of this body, and I have no doubt that they are capable of doing this in a wise way.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 03:32:36 PM »

Really? Has an Assemblymen even introduced a bill this session? I think the Governor and I are the only ones. Compare it to the Northeast or IDS, and we've really fallen in back. We used to be #1 in regional governments. I don't see that dominance anymore.

Yes we did, but once again, you are comparing today's legislature to over a year ago which is really decades plus in Atlasian time. The legislature is more active than actual recent legislatures, however you are correct in that it is nothing compared to the golden age of Mideast politics.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 09:13:38 PM »

Opinion of the quote:
Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

**Ahem**
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 06:05:27 AM »

Hello Governor ZoWu,

As a recent arrival to the Mideast and new member of the Whig Party, I would like to ask you if there are any governing principles/views you believe all members of your party should have? Do you believe moderates would thrive as Whigs?

I look forward to hearing your answer.

Thanks,
TexasDemocrat
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:18:46 AM »

Sorry for not having noticed your "question" earlier. Wink

Well, I never liked analysing lyrics from poems or songs but here's my take on the sentence you cited (though I am not going to be able to say more than a platitude): "power" and "money" are often closely related and it's nice to have both of these but "power" and "money" cannot guarantee happiness in your life, which is more worth striving for.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »

Hello Governor ZoWu,

As a recent arrival to the Mideast and new member of the Whig Party, I would like to ask you if there are any governing principles/views you believe all members of your party should have? Do you believe moderates would thrive as Whigs?

I look forward to hearing your answer.

Thanks,
TexasDemocrat

Thanks for this interesting question.

I consider the Whig Party a center right party (the summary of the Whig Party which Simfan wrote a while ago expands on this idea). It is a party which, in real-life terms, is probably most suitable for American Republicans, conservative-leaning independents or Blue Dog Dems, so moderates who feel comofortable in such a setting are certainly welcome and can thrive in this party. While I can't say that there is a certain number of views that you must have in order to qualify as a member of the Whig Party, abortion could be regarded as one of the key issues. Since the Whig Party emerged from the so-called "Right to Life Caucus", one of the most important elements of the party is its pro-life stance (most party members also oppose the death penalty).

Also, if you look at the elected officials who are members of the Whig Party you can see that, when in office, we are usually quite moderate and willing to compromise with all political groups. This is probably what distinguishes us most visibly from many representatives of the US Republican Party.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »

Governor ZoWu,

As a new member of the Labor Party in the Mideast region I thought it would be proper to introduce myself.

I do have one question. I've noticed that the Mideast wiki hasn't been updated since 2008. Were would I be able to see a list of laws that have been passed and repealed since then?

Thanks and I look forward to becoming active in here in the Mideast,

Gass3268

California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 01:44:57 AM »

Governor ZoWu,

As a new member of the Labor Party in the Mideast region I thought it would be proper to introduce myself.

I do have one question. I've noticed that the Mideast wiki hasn't been updated since 2008. Were would I be able to see a list of laws that have been passed and repealed since then?

Gass3268

I am not certain what page you are looking at since the wiki has been updated up to this past session's legislation. There was a change of formatting on the statute page which could be what you are referring to.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 02:01:02 AM »

Governor ZoWu,

Gass3268

I am not certain what page you are looking at since the wiki has been updated up to this past session's legislation. There was a change of formatting on the statute page which could be what you are referring to.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Mideast_Statute

This only goes to 2008. Am I missing something?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies