Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 09:56:53 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Commerce Secretary John Bryson in felony hit-and-run, then ANOTHER car accident.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Commerce Secretary John Bryson in felony hit-and-run, then ANOTHER car accident.  (Read 949 times)
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« on: June 11, 2012, 08:45:37 am »
Ignore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18391700
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:07:52 pm by Nym90 »Logged
Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47:56 am »
Ignore

Well since there is no indication of drugs or alcohol, I hope his medical condition isn't too severe....and if it  WAS a medical condition, they won't pursue felony charges.

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:25 am »
Ignore

Well since there is no indication of drugs or alcohol, I hope his medical condition isn't too severe....and if it  WAS a medical condition, they won't pursue felony charges.

A medical condition that causes one to flee the scene of an accident?  Some medical condition.
Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 09:11:25 am »
Ignore

A medical condition that causes one to flee the scene of an accident?  Some medical condition.

Easy wormy....he might not have even understood what was happening.  Let's let the chips fall before we play our hand.

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:36:04 am »
Ignore

This reminds me of Bob Novak. He did something like this - blacking out while driving and not remembering. He had a brain tumor and was dead within a year. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:40:17 am »
Ignore

This reminds me of Bob Novak. He did something like this - blacking out while driving and not remembering. He had a brain tumor and was dead within a year. Hopefully that is not the case here.

Ah, well you cited my earlier point to wormy nicely......I forgot about Novak.  

Yeah unless there is a true crime here, not just a medical condition, they might  just want to drop all of the charges.

ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:09 am »
Ignore

And it was a seizure.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:08:44 am »
Ignore

He passed a breathalyzer test right after the accident, so he probably wasn't drunk. He was unconscious when they found him too; most likely, all charges will be dropped.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:16:09 am »
Ignore

Attribution of responsibility and intent is not so simple, wormy.   Getting old is universal and hazardous medical conditions - possible at any age - become more and more common as we get older.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 01:52:53 pm »
Ignore

It seems Bryson is epileptic, or at least had a seizure of some sort.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
hawkeye59
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 01:57:45 pm »
Ignore

How would that cause him to drive away from the first accident? I can see how it caused the second one, but you'd think he wouldn't have been able to crash into a car, talk to the driver, then drive away, hitting it again, and then drive into another town.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.  So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And well change the world.-Jack Layton 1950-2011
A man may die, nations may rise and fall, but an idea lives on-John F. Kennedy 1917-1963
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:52 pm »
Ignore

I thought Gary Locke was Commerce Secretary?  The more you know!

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »
Ignore

I thought Gary Locke was Commerce Secretary?  The more you know!

He was, then he left to be ambassador to China. Which apparently is a promotion these days. Sad

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 05:18:51 pm »
Ignore

I'm furious about this. I wanted to assume the absolute worst and most malicious of a public figure.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:21 pm »
Ignore

I'm furious about this. I wanted to assume the absolute worst and most malicious of a public figure.

That is Attorney General Holder.  I know it's confusing. So many cabinet officers, so little time. Tongue

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »
Ignore

How would that cause him to drive away from the first accident? I can see how it caused the second one, but you'd think he wouldn't have been able to crash into a car, talk to the driver, then drive away, hitting it again, and then drive into another town.

I'm not sure, but I guess we'll see. He might have brain damage or something after this. He might also be an asshole.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:16 pm »

There are various forms of epilepsy Hawkeye.  Jerking seizures are the stereotypical form because they are the most obvious, but far more common are what are called absence seizures in which a part of the brain stops functioning for a while, but the rest continues to function normally.  My sister suffers from epilepsy and while her medications have it under control now, when she had an absence seizure, she'd look around, somewhat glassy-eyed and tend to keep doing whatever she had been doing before the seizure began, but poorly as if she were drunk.  Sometimes she can even respond during those seizures, but usually they are too intense for that.

So from personal experience I can attest that it is quite possible for Bryson to have had a mild absence seizure that would have led to the first accident and then while it was still going on have gotten out of the car, get back in and then drive away to get into the second.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 09:50:33 pm »
Ignore

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/11/politics/california-bryson/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Commerce Secy is taking a leave of absence to undergo tests.

Probably a smart move on the Secy's part to avoid further embarrassment to the Administration after what has been a pretty shotty week for Team Obama.

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 11:40:40 pm »

Probably a smart move on the Secy's part to avoid further embarrassment to the Administration after what has been a pretty shotty week for Team Obama.

I know this may be heresy around here since this is politics board, but people do occasionally do things for non-political reasons.  With or without a prior history of seizures, this accident is ample justification to find out what's gone wrong.  (If he does have a prior history, it is a sad fact that for no apparent reason the medications that are used to control the seizures can stop working, requiring either a change in the dosage or a change in the medicines used.  If he does not have a prior history this could be the signal of something more serious.)

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
BigSkyBob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
Ignore

I know this may be heresy around here since this is politics board, but people do occasionally do things for non-political reasons.  With or without a prior history of seizures, this accident is ample justification to find out what's gone wrong.  (If he does have a prior history, it is a sad fact that for no apparent reason the medications that are used to control the seizures can stop working, requiring either a change in the dosage or a change in the medicines used.  If he does not have a prior history this could be the signal of something more serious.)

The real scandal in Washington is how poorly we are governed.

The real scandal in Washington is not the bribery, corruption, or sex. It is how poorly we are governed.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:42 am »
Ignore

Regardless of the cause, he should lose his license.
Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 08:22:55 am »
Ignore

He will.  They'll yank it for medical.

BigSkyBob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:15 am »
Ignore

And, he should lose his job. Zombie walkers shouldn't attend cabinet meetings. Having lost meta-level control of their actions, how do we know they won't give overly forthcoming answers to requests for sensitive information?

Having a medical problem ought to be a complete defense to the charges against him, but, we do have to carefully analyze whether, or not, he is a security risk.

The real scandal in Washington is not the bribery, corruption, or sex. It is how poorly we are governed.
Miles
MilesC56
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 4.52

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2012, 11:54:09 pm »
Ignore

Hmmm...I always value Louie Gohmert's opinions on these types of things.

Bacon King
Moderators
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2012, 12:48:47 am »
Ignore

And, he should lose his job. Zombie walkers shouldn't attend cabinet meetings. Having lost meta-level control of their actions, how do we know they won't give overly forthcoming answers to requests for sensitive information?

Having a medical problem ought to be a complete defense to the charges against him, but, we do have to carefully analyze whether, or not, he is a security risk.

While I do agree with you, considering how useless the Commerce Secretary's job is I wonder what info he'd even have to leak. Ya think he'd accidentally release secret weather info from the NOAA, or maybe he'd spill the beans on classified Census data? Tongue

BK without all the crazy drugs just wouldn't be BK.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout