Obama to propose higher refugee limits for Syrians
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:03:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obama to propose higher refugee limits for Syrians
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obama to propose higher refugee limits for Syrians  (Read 2660 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2015, 10:10:51 PM »

What is wrong again with creating a safe zone in the Kurdish zone next to the Turkish border again for those endangered by the Syrian civil war? I am totally wrong that most of these refugees (mostly young males per what I have read), are taking to the boats for economic reasons?

Well, the Turks don't want it, and the US is supposed to be allies with Turkey (thus relying on their logistics), so...
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 01:51:22 AM »

What is wrong again with creating a safe zone in the Kurdish zone next to the Turkish border again for those endangered by the Syrian civil war? I am totally wrong that most of these refugees (mostly young males per what I have read), are taking to the boats for economic reasons?

I don't think the PKK/YPG would want the refugee influx disrupting their war effort by straining their logistics system. It's an active combat zone and is no place for refugees fleeing the conflict. It's effected by both ISIL offensives and Turkish airstrikes.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 08:18:40 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2015, 08:21:42 AM by Torie »

Well, at least Europe and the US should push for such a zone with Turkey and the Kurds, over both of which we have some influence, and use air power to make it a no fly zone. I don't recall any such effort being made. It should be. The UN should be involved too on this one. Given the numbers involved, it should be a top priority.

Well, actually, it seems that such a safe zone is in fact in play. So this problem hopefully will largely go away. Odd that the press has not reported this aspect of the story more, when reporting on the refugees. And will those that make it to Europe be sent there once the area is secured, or once in Europe (or the US), are the refugees there for life?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies