SENATE BILL: Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty (VS)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:33:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty (VS)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty (VS)  (Read 14430 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 08:35:40 PM »

Aye, but I definitely had to think a little bit about this one...

Were you clear in your mine just why it is necessary now to move from a de facto to a de jure alliance with Israel? Just what does that accomplish specifically on the ground in the Mideast?

It reassures Israel that we support them and are fully committed to ensuring their security in light of a nuclear Iran. Basically telling them we've got their back, so they don't need to do anything risky (like attacking Iran, for instance).
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »

Aye, but I definitely had to think a little bit about this one...

Were you clear in your mine just why it is necessary now to move from a de facto to a de jure alliance with Israel? Just what does that accomplish specifically on the ground in the Mideast?

Necessary, no. I neither wrote nor sponsored this bill. It likely changes nothing about the situation on the ground.

However, since we already are in a defacto alliance with Israel, I do think it makes sense to formally declare what we are doing anyway. I support Atlasia being forthright and honest about its activities.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 08:24:58 AM »

Nay.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 06:21:27 PM »

SEATOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 07:07:05 PM »

Nay
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2012, 08:28:10 PM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty:

Aye (5): AndrewPA, Ben, Clarence, NC Yankee, and TJ in Cleve
Nay (5): ILV, sbane, Scott, Seatown and Wormyguy
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

Vote ends in 15 minutes.

I haven't found a requirement in Article I of the Constitution dealing with Treaties requiring a 2/3rds vote, nor is such in the OSPR. It is possible that such is some obscure place appended to an unrelated matter and thus I missed it. I welcome others to scour the Constitution, OSPR and any related statues as well as collective memories of how these have been done in the past to find out whether this is a tie to be broken by the Veep or a failure to acheive passage.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2012, 08:34:29 PM »

Let's give it 24 hours, then I get my power!! Cheesy

In all seriousness, I've also researched into this - couldn't find anything, though I originally thought it did require 2/3's.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2012, 11:55:03 PM »

Actually, as far as I can tell, the Constitution does not give the Senate the power to ratify treaties.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2012, 12:00:27 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 12:02:31 AM by Senator Scott »

Actually, as far as I can tell, the Constitution does not give the Senate the power to ratify treaties.

Well, while Article I of the Constitution does not explicitly mention treaties on section 5, it does state that the Senate can-
You must be logged in to read this quote.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »

Well, while Article I of the Constitution does not explicitly mention treaties on section 5, it does state that the Senate can-

A treaty is pretty obviously not the same as an "activity" - an activity is a one-time thing while a treaty is a binding commitment to perform some activity for a set length of time.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »

A treaty is pretty obviously not the same as an "activity" - an activity is a one-time thing while a treaty is a binding commitment to perform some activity for a set length of time.

'Activity' means "the condition in which things are happening or being done."  There are no time limits as to what would constitute as an "activity," last I checked, as they can be short term or long term; duration is irrelevant.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2012, 12:30:36 AM »

'Activity' means "the condition in which things are happening or being done."  There are no time limits as to what would constitute as an "activity," last I checked, as they can be short term or long term; duration is irrelevant.

A treaty is not an activity, it's a commitment to engage in activity.  The Constitution gives no authority for the Senate to agree to such a commitment with a foreign nation.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2012, 12:34:09 AM »

'Activity' means "the condition in which things are happening or being done."  There are no time limits as to what would constitute as an "activity," last I checked, as they can be short term or long term; duration is irrelevant.

A treaty is not an activity, it's a commitment to engage in activity.

...Which would be, in itself, an activity, as it fits under dictionary definition.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2012, 12:46:44 AM »

Wormy, you can challenge this in Tweedist Supreme court and win.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2012, 01:02:12 AM »

...Which would be, in itself, an activity, as it fits under dictionary definition.

No, a treaty is a document.  A document is not an activity.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:29 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 01:07:26 AM by Senator Scott »

'Activity' means "the condition in which things are happening or being done."  There are no time limits as to what would constitute as an "activity," last I checked, as they can be short term or long term; duration is irrelevant.

No, a treaty is a document.  A document is not an activity.

Yet engaging in one is.

Merely stating that you plan on partaking in a certain activity is an activity.  I fail to see what it would be otherwise.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:36 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2012, 08:35:05 AM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

Hey look, a treaty ratified by the Senate (with 6 Ayes & 3 Nays).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »

The problem is that predates the current constitution. But it appears that Jedi treated it like any other piece of legislation. What we would need to do is find out whether or not the second constitution had the same language as the third, to see if the precedent is valid.

Also, I suggest contacting Marokai Blue and anyone else involved in the crafting of this current constitution. I beleive that would also include Senator Ilikeverin, as well as many others.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2012, 05:25:07 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

The problem is that predates the current constitution. But it appears that Jedi treated it like any other piece of legislation. What we would need to do is find out whether or not the second constitution had the same language as the third, to see if the precedent is valid.

Also, I suggest contacting Marokai Blue and anyone else involved in the crafting of this current constitution. I beleive that would also include Senator Ilikeverin, as well as many others.

I attempted to PM the 5 people who didn't miss any votes in the Constitutional Convention (assuming those 5 would be the most involved in the creation and thus the most knowledgable about such matters). I have not received word back yet from Marokai Blue, Bacon King, Afleitch, Hashemite, or PiT.

In the Constitution, the only things that changed in Powers of/Powers Denied to the Senate is the addition of:

Quote from: Restricted

It appears that the language that would apply to this is the same and thus the precedent is valid.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2012, 11:35:09 PM »

I plan to be back on tomorrow morning, if no further feedback is given then I shall proceed as best as I understand the precedent and current procedures with regards as to how to handle this.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2012, 09:04:37 AM »

Vote on Final Passage of the Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty:

Aye (5): AndrewPA, Ben, Clarence, NC Yankee, and TJ in Cleve
Nay (5): ILV, sbane, Scott, Seatown and Wormyguy
Abstain (0):

Didn't Vote (0):

As it appears that no such 2/3rd's requirement exists, I am determined that this is to be treated as any other piece of legislation. Therefore, I am declaring the voted tied, with time having expired on the legislation and the Vice President is thus charged with breaking the tie.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2012, 09:29:22 AM »

The same clause existed in the Second Constitution as in the current one, fwiw.  I don't remember treaties ever being discussed, really.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »

Well, I've had plenty of time to think about this. I have decided to vote for the treaty and sent it to the President to make the final decision.

Aye
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2012, 04:29:06 PM »

I'll assess this in the next few hours... but I honestly haven't seen any good reasons as to why I shouldn't sign this. I see a lot "nope"s and proclamations, but no concrete reasons...
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:03 AM »

So, does Polnut still get to sign/veto this? Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »