Germany - the Reverse Tariff
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:29:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Economics (Moderator: Torie)
  Germany - the Reverse Tariff
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany - the Reverse Tariff  (Read 669 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2012, 03:59:41 AM »
« edited: June 15, 2012, 04:28:04 AM by Beet »

Since the Euro crisis is rooted in current account imbalances, this could be corrected by a German [by 'German', I refer to all the non-crisis European countries, or more specifically those with a trade surplus, by 'European' I mean 'Eurozone'] tax credit, provided by the German government, for its citizens to purchase goods from southern Europe. It would be funded by the German government printing Euros. In other words, Germany would enact a 'reverse tariff' on goods from southern Europe, with the aim of correcting its imbalances with them. I contend that this is a win-win situation on the national levels.

First consider the German situation, since its government would have to enact this. By funding the tax credit by printing Euros, it is essentially funding it through a seignorage tax on the rest of Europe. Since he newly minted Euros are controlled by Germany, while the cost to the value of the Euro is spread across the Eurozone. But this is Just, since Germany is bailing out the rest of Europe with its debt, the rest of Europe cannot complain about German seignorage tax.  Further seignorage tax will not cost Germany anything in its fiscal budget position or debt outstanding.

However why should Germany favor imports from specific countries through the tax credit? Simple: if the Euro crisis is not resolved, these countries will default and Germany will never be repaid in its hundreds of billions, perhaps trillions of euros that it is owed. Germany has a strong national interest in being repaid, and hence it has a national interest in seeing these countries earn income through exports. Germany's interest is better served by the import of an appliance from Spain than by the import of an appliance from China, because the proceeds of the sale from the Spanish appliance will in part be used to repay Germany itself, while the proceeds of the sale of the Chinese appliance will not. This value difference is not captured in prices of the respective appliances, and therefore from the German perspective, the tax credit really deals with an externality that creates a flaw in the market price.

Now consider this from the perspective of the southern European countries. This one is very simple- They have been urging the ECB to take quantitative action for some time now, so they should not object to Germany printing. They should also not object to being favored with a reverse tariff, since all it means is greater demand for their labor. The only real cost to these countries is that some of the unemployed labor and capital will have to exit from its idling state and get to work for Germany. Smiley The real advantage here is that there is no moral hazard - a bigger reverse tariff does not make it any easier for Spain to deficit spend. Instead, the opposite - if Spain wants to get out from under the seignorage tax imposed by Germany, it must increase its competitiveness quickly so that the reverse tariff is no longer needed. Instead of moral hazard, moral virtue is created.

Regardless of how this crisis ends, or where one stands on fiscal union, it is clear that in any sort of currency union some method will have to be found of addressing imbalances between the union members without the highly uncertain and destructive wage deflation / austerity practices we have seen. I propose the 'reverse tariff' as such a mechanism.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:01:29 AM »

Not too bad. I see two objections. The first one comes back to the incentive structure. Any solution to the crisis which does not either entail a lot of pain for the PIIGS or fiscal union will be viewed with suspicion by Germany (and the markets, for that matter).

And the PIIGS seem unwilling to accept either.

The second problem is more of a political thing. Given how hard it is to sell free trade as a concept in most countries (even though it is beneficial) I think it might be hard to sell the idea of favouring foreign producers.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »

Novelty, yes. I do not see this as replacing the necessity to consider some fiscal union, and some pain. I see this as addressing a slightly different aspect of the problem than those two. Fiscal union does not deal with imbalances, it merely legitimizes them. While pain is not very effective in reducing imbalances either.

As for the domestic industries, yes I agree this is a concern, particularly those who produce tradeable goods but have no export capability. I don't know how common these are in Germany, or what clout they have politically. My hope is that the German and Spanish/Italian economies would have complementarities and substitution would mostly be between Spanish/Italian goods and non-Eurozone goods. However I admit I don't have the data here. But if it really hurts, then a portion of the seignorage proceeds could always be used to partially compensate these groups.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies