Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 03:35:31 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Do Republicans remind you of "1984"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do Republicans remind you of "1984"?  (Read 800 times)
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:17 am »
Ignore

As soon as the government announced that Eastasia had always been the enemy, no one would even fathom that Eurasia had been the enemy just minutes before.

Similarly, not only will most Republicans not admit that the individual mandate spent nearly 20 years being standard Republican policy, they seem to have honestly convinced themselves that it was always an unconstitutional liberal plot.

It's scary how similar the situations are, and how much power FoxNews has over what people believe...
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:06:02 pm »
Ignore

Yes.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

hopper
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 06:22:11 pm »
Ignore

As soon as the government announced that Eastasia had always been the enemy, no one would even fathom that Eurasia had been the enemy just minutes before.

Similarly, not only will most Republicans not admit that the individual mandate spent nearly 20 years being standard Republican policy, they seem to have honestly convinced themselves that it was always an unconstitutional liberal plot.
It's scary how similar the situations are, and how much power FoxNews has over what people believe...
Its true it was a conservative idea(i.e. The Heratige Foundation) but now the Republicans are against it. The individual mandate was only passed in one state which was Massachusetts when Romney was governor there. Is not like other Republican governors in other states passed it and than all of a sudden the Republicans were against it.

I watch Fox News but I don't agree with everything they say. I am more of a libertarian type.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:42:23 pm »
Ignore

Kinda like many Republicans were in favor of intervention in Libya, but as soon as Obama did it they had and about face. The modern GOP is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »
Ignore

I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose you're right in that sense. Well, I really was always against the individual mandate.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
Ignore

There are reasons many a Republican politician might be reminiscent of 1984, but not for anything mentioned so far in this thread.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:56 pm »
Ignore

There are reasons many a Republican politician might be reminiscent of 1984, but not for anything mentioned so far in this thread.

Al and Sam Spade are more than enough for this forum, thank you.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 11:52:11 pm »
Ignore

In my humble opinion, this is an unfair comparison and huge generalization to make.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:53:24 pm »
Ignore

Do Republicans remind you of "1984"?
no

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:42:09 am »
Ignore

Ok sure and the Democrats remind me of "Brave New World" Wink

hopper
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
Ignore

Kinda like many Republicans were in favor of intervention in Libya, but as soon as Obama did it they had and about face. The modern GOP is the epitome of intellectual dishonesty.
Not it wasn't because Obama was in favor of it. It was because the GOP wanted Obama to do it a few weeks earlier with the intervention into Libya. THe GOP had thought the timeline to do the intervention had passed when Obama decided to act on it.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 01:29:33 pm »
Ignore

THe GOP had thought the timeline to do the intervention had passed when Obama decided to act on it.

How convenient. You can't possibly fall for such excuses.
retromike22
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »
Ignore

This is quote from Niel Postman comparing 1984 with Brave New World:

"What Orwell feared were those who would ban books. What Huxley feared was that there would be no reason to ban a book, for there would be no one who wanted to read one. Orwell feared those who would deprive us of information. Huxley feared those who would give us so much that we would be reduced to passivity and egotism. Orwell feared that the truth would be concealed from us. Huxley feared the truth would be drowned in a sea of irrelevance. Orwell feared we would become a captive culture. Huxley feared we would become a trivial culture, preoccupied with some equivalent of the feelies, the orgy porgy, and the centrifugal bumblepuppy. As Huxley remarked in Brave New World Revisited, the civil libertarians and rationalists who are ever on the alert to oppose tyranny "failed to take into account man's almost infinite appetite for distractions." In 1984, Orwell added, people are controlled by inflicting pain. In Brave New World, they are controlled by inflicting pleasure. In short, Orwell feared that what we fear will ruin us. Huxley feared that our desire will ruin us."

I wrote and directed my own movie. It's about an intern, a doctor, a mayor, a cross dressing prostitute, farmers, aliens, and zombies:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=181696.0
Аverros Nix
Averros Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 06:11:37 pm »
Ignore

No, they remind me of Charlotte's Web, the great political allegory of our time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:53:53 pm by Averros Nix »Logged

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:03 pm »

In my humble opinion, this is an unfair comparison and huge generalization to make.

Agreed.  Harry should duckspeak apology to Ingsoc and BB.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 09:23:09 pm »
Ignore

Or sending special ops into Pakistan to get Bin Laden.
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 06:30:36 am »
Ignore

No one ever opposed that.

But in the way you state it, yes. I'm kind of rooting for Romney just so we don't have to keep on doing this.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »
Ignore

But in the way you state it, yes. I'm kind of rooting for Romney just so we don't have to keep on doing this.

"Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan? - John McCain
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 08:40:36 am »
Ignore

"Will we risk the confused leadership of an inexperienced candidate who once suggested bombing our ally, Pakistan? - John McCain

But that wasn't in response to the Bin Laden mission.

MooMooMoo
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 10:35:38 am »
Ignore

I'd rather live in 535 AF than in 1984....

the result is a sense that we were told to attend a lavish dinner party that was going to be wonderful and by the time we got there, all the lobster and steak had been eaten, a fight had broken out, the police had been called and all that was left was warm beer and chips.
[/quot
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 01:46:51 pm »
Ignore

No.

The rabid nationalists on both side who foam at the mouth at the sight of Bradley Manning do, however.

Free Bradley Manning
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:04 pm »
Ignore

I question the value of the 1984 comparison.  Everything can be compared to it, which effectively means that nothing can. 

Einzige is a poltroon who cowardly turns down duel challenges he should be honor-bound to accept. The Code Duello authorizes you to mock and belittle such a pathetic honorless scoundrel.
Citizen Alfred
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 05:04:55 pm »
Ignore

I question the value of the 1984 comparison.  Everything can be compared to it, which effectively means that nothing can. 

George Orwell is watching you...

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout