CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:02:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: CARLHAYDEN's not gonna like this...  (Read 6911 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:53:30 AM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/16/us/us-to-stop-deporting-some-illegal-immigrants.html?hp

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Great president.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:10 AM »

I don't understand how the POTUS has the unilateral power to do this. And is it clear that he does? If not, I see another SCOTUS case on the horizon.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:05 AM »

This is a much better example of what a "Christian nation" should seek to do rather than obsess over gay marriage.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:57 PM »

I don't understand how the POTUS has the unilateral power to do this. And is it clear that he does? If not, I see another SCOTUS case on the horizon.

You're the lawyer, but that seems tough to me - SCOTUS, across its normal left-right cleavage, normally sides with the executive's discretion to choose which cases to prosecute. And the administration is just declining to prosecute here, not creating any new visa categories.

Here, for example, is Scalia on the "deferred action" mechanism being used here in Reno v. American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee. (Two separate passages, separated by my ellipsis).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:39:33 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 12:41:30 PM by Grumps »

He's legally ordering them to not take enforcement action, which might be illegal.  Who knows?

Oh, and CARL won't care.....Sheriff Joe will be there to rid AZ of browns.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »

Rep. Steve King stepped into the trap and is going to sue Obama over this.

Picture Romney waving his arms wildly and mouthing "No, No" offstage.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »

This issue became immensely more personal to me when I discovered that a few of my cousins are illegal immigrants. If only Obama had the balls to do this at the start of his presidency and not as a political ploy to win the support of more Latinos...
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »

Yeah there's no way this should be legal.
Unironic Merrick Garland Stan
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 03:11:07 PM »

I agree with this, it's not their fault and they shouldn't be punished for their parents breaking the law. Still, Obama is a terrible president, and he probably has some political angle here.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »

I agree with this, it's not their fault and they shouldn't be punished for their parents breaking the law. Still, Obama is a terrible president, and he probably has some political angle here.

Of course there's a political angle; he does this & gets more votes in CO, NV, AZ, etc.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 03:33:28 PM »

So do you think they'll  yank the press credential of the guy who heckled him during his speech?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 04:32:55 PM »

Political move. I have mixed feelings about this, though.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 05:08:24 PM »

So do you think they'll  yank the press credential of the guy who heckled him during his speech?

They ought to.  It's not as if the question he yelled out to bring attention to himself wasn't going to get asked anyway.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 07:53:37 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 08:00:16 PM by ag »

Prosecutorial discretion?

Anyway, there may be any number of legitimate legal reasons to object to implementing this through executive action. But if, say, Romney does, he will be certainly asked if, as president, he'd work to have something similar passed into law. If he says "yes", it may remove the political angle from it, but would piss many of his supporters. If he says "no", Hispanics have just gotten a big reason to register en masse and vote. 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 08:05:38 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 08:08:12 PM by ag »

This issue became immensely more personal to me when I discovered that a few of my cousins are illegal immigrants. If only Obama had the balls to do this at the start of his presidency and not as a political ploy to win the support of more Latinos...

Actually, this may also lead to many people "coming out" - if you have to register w/ the government, anyway, no reason to keep it private. So, there could be quite a few people who'll find out that their cousins, friends, classmates, etc. are illegal migrants: it's going to bring this up close and personal across the board in many Hispanic (and other migrant) communities.

But, sure, it would have looked a lot better, if it were not happening after years and years of massive deportations by this administration.

Still, it makes it obvious what to do in your situation: if Obama wins, your cousins will have 4 years of safe life in the US. If he looses, they won't. You love your cousins? Then go out registering voters. Not for Obama's sake - who cares about him - but for their.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

I've got no problem with this, as long as it's goes along with better border security.  It won't of course.  But then again, I like the American working poor that already live here unlike the people that think "open borders" are a good idea.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 01:02:09 AM »

I see the case for saying the Executive has the power to decide not to prosecute, but the provision of work permits complicates it I think.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 01:45:10 AM »

This is basically the DREAM Act done by executive order, which is the reason he's waited until now to do it. If the House and Senate had passed the DREAM Act, as he's tried to make them do for his entire presidency, he wouldn't have need to do this.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2012, 10:16:37 AM »

This is basically the DREAM Act done by executive order, which is the reason he's waited until now to do it. If the House and Senate had passed the DREAM Act, as he's tried to make them do for his entire presidency, he wouldn't have need to do this.

I support the end result either way.....but isn't this still a slight problem? Congress doesn't pass what we'd like so we just do it by executive order?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

I support the end result either way.....but isn't this still a slight problem? Congress doesn't pass what we'd like so we just do it by executive order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_Presidency
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:45:44 PM »

I'd argue that the bigger problem is that a majority in Congress voted to pass the bill and the rules still prevented it from passing.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 07:43:05 PM »

I wonder if Obama would have performed a similar move regarding DADT had the repeal not gotten past the GOP filibuster.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 08:57:53 AM »

He was going to win the brown vote all along......but this might actually make more browns come to the polls.....which he desparately needs.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »

I've got no problem with this, as long as it's goes along with better border security.  It won't of course.  But then again, I like the American working poor that already live here unlike the people that think "open borders" are a good idea.

Of course there will not be any improvement if border security!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 12:10:43 PM »

free mobility of capital with concurrent free mobility of labor is a death sentence for wages and working conditions -- probably why you are so enamored, as a self-hating proletarian.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies