Obama Administration won't seek to deport young illegal immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:35:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Administration won't seek to deport young illegal immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Obama Administration won't seek to deport young illegal immigrants  (Read 5301 times)
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2012, 03:14:12 PM »

Obama is trying to pander more votes for him, plain and simple.
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2012, 03:15:18 PM »

Regardless of if this was a political move, it was the right move and I'm glad he did it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:37 PM »

I wonder if Obama will break 80% among Latinos?  The remaining 20% will consist of Miami Cubans, and various employees of Mitt Romney's palatial estates, so he won't be able to break into that demographic no matter how hard he tries.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2012, 03:18:42 PM »

In this case, trying to deliver on a campaign promise he made to these voters four years ago where he got blocked by Congress. It's "pandering" in the sense that making promising to voters and then fulfilling them is "pandering."
hopper
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2012, 03:54:52 PM »

I think Obama was worried he meant lose the state that you live in thats why he did this whole thing not to deport 16-29 year old illegals. The polls in CO have been tightening in the past 2 months and each campaign knows they have to win CO to win the election.

hopper
United States

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2012, 03:56:34 PM »

I wonder if Obama will break 80% among Latinos?  The remaining 20% will consist of Miami Cubans, and various employees of Mitt Romney's palatial estates, so he won't be able to break into that demographic no matter how hard he tries.
No probably 75% of the Hispanic Vote he will win.
hopper
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »

Regardless of if this was a political move, it was the right move and I'm glad he did it.
I agree it had to be done but it is temporary band-aid. In my opinion the people who were bought to the US illegally by their parents should pay back retro-active taxes that they might owe. You can't dodge taxes just because you were brought here illegally.

My band-aid theory goes further than paying back retro-active taxes. If you are here illegally and you came here say when you are 40(say in 2002) and are still at age 50 this year you should pay back retro active taxes, a fine(since you came here illegally), and know english. If you can't do any of these 3 things you should go back to your orginal country that you grew up in.
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2012, 04:08:02 PM »

In this case, trying to deliver on a campaign promise he made to these voters four years ago where he got blocked by Congress. It's "pandering" in the sense that making promising to voters and then fulfilling them is "pandering."
The pandering theory comes in because it is 4-5 months before the presidential election.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2012, 05:15:29 PM »

Well this should lock up the agribusiness vote for Obama.  A group of workers who dare not be in the least bit uppity or complaining least it screw up their chance to get legal status is exactly what they want.  The intent is good, and it may be good politics, but this is bad policy in any number of ways.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »

Obama has still deported far more illegal immigrants than Bush.

Having grown up on the Texas-Mexico border, I can tell you Obama isn't "deporting" illegal aliens.

With the terrible economy that followed the Obama-Reid-Pelosi seizure of Congress (and, yes, Bush's failure to stand up to them), the illegals are reporting themselves and so Obama is giving them "free rides home" at our taxpayer expense.  They'll all be back (with friends and relatives) as soon as the economy turns around.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »

Good to see President Obama finally got himself a spine.  

Not yet -at least, not for another generation or so.   By retaining over half the overall population in the United States until around mid-century, they will still be a dominant force in American politics for some time to come. But we are in the final decades of having one dominant race lording it over others.  
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »

Love the way Erin Burnett is spinning this:

"Obama makes MVP-like move."
"Republicans backed into a corner."
"GOP left flat-footed."
"Pathetic Republicans."
"Republicans handed Obama a political victory."

I think this is really a disgusting way to play this up. I hope Obama keeps doing stuff like this--eventually Obama's pandering is going to become really transparent and middle-class Americans are not going to be happy.

That's why I think the race is tightening. Very little credit goes to Romney. I believe the more Obama campaigns, the more he seems to dodge his record, and the more transparent he becomes.
hopper
United States

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 06:59:56 PM »

Obama has still deported far more illegal immigrants than Bush.

Having grown up on the Texas-Mexico border, I can tell you Obama isn't "deporting" illegal aliens.

With the terrible economy that followed the Obama-Reid-Pelosi seizure of Congress (and, yes, Bush's failure to stand up to them), the illegals are reporting themselves and so Obama is giving them "free rides home" at our taxpayer expense.  They'll all be back (with friends and relatives) as soon as the economy turns around.
That post is actually funny with the free rides and illegal immigrants deporting themselves.

But in all seriousness Obama has deported(well the immigration officials) have deported alot of criminal illegal immigrants.
hopper
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 07:06:29 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2012, 07:09:29 PM by hopper »

Love the way Erin Burnett is spinning this:

"Obama makes MVP-like move."
"Republicans backed into a corner."
"GOP left flat-footed."
"Pathetic Republicans."
"Republicans handed Obama a political victory."

I think this is really a disgusting way to play this up. I hope Obama keeps doing stuff like this--eventually Obama's pandering is going to become really transparent and middle-class Americans are not going to be happy.

That's why I think the race is tightening. Very little credit goes to Romney. I believe the more Obama campaigns, the more he seems to dodge his record, and the more transparent he becomes.
Well I agree with Erin Burnett that Obama did back Republicans into a corner by forcing Romney to move to the center on immigration in my opinion. She shouldn't have said pathetic republicans or Obama made an MVP like move though. Yes the Republicans had an opportunity to vote yes on the "DREAM Act" before but it was not a bigger part of an immigration reform package. It looks like Romney is gonna roll with Rubio on this issue for good or bad though.

Yeah Obama always panders to the left and never to the middle-of the road voters that he needs to win re-election.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 08:01:17 PM »

Don't really care.. But it's a step in the right direction.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 09:30:42 PM »

Interesting move by Obama. I support it though I think he would have been better served to have made these base consolidating moves last year, or during the Republican primary.

Still, Republicans had best tread carefully in their response, lest they demonize Latinos even more.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2012, 07:41:06 AM »

This move is offensive to Republicans because they only approve of Obama taking political steps that piss off his base or can be successfully blocked by Republicans.

And yes, I know this post is headed straight for some mine or another in the Forum Community but I don't care.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »

I am old enough to remember when the base of the Democratic Party was American workers.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »

I am old enough to remember when the base of the Democratic Party was American workers.

Because someone who came here at age 3 from a country they don't remember, speaks fluent English, and enrolled in college can never be considered a real American.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »

Because someone who came here at age 3 from a country they don't remember, speaks fluent English, and enrolled in college can never be considered a real American.

How confident are you that every one of the 800,000 to 1,000,000 aliens are as you describe?
milhouse24
« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2012, 01:25:40 PM »

There are quite a few ways to get legal American citizenship.  Most countries in the world have fairly strict immigration policies.  Some countries in the middle east you can't immigrate to because you are the wrong religion. 

The easiest way to get American citizenship is to get married to an American citizen for 5 years.  Granted, most of the current green card marriages are fraud in the current system, it is still the fastest and quickest road to citizenship.  I am not advocating fraud or defrauding the American government, but those are the facts. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »

The ones who behave badly  -- as in criminally -- can be deported. That could be for drunk driving, drug possession, shoplifting, or domestic violence.
milhouse24
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

More troubling, I think, is that this is a clear example of Obama absolutely pandering for the Hispanic vote.

Agree, btw Obama just got heckled by a reporter in the Rose Garden.

I just saw the part of the speech where he was heckled. Disgusting.

What a perfect example of the breakdown in civil discourse in this country. And once again, there are people on the other side who refuse to give an ounce of respect or deference to Obama and the office he holds. And everyone knows why this is.

Because he cares more about non-citizens than the actual citizens of the country? 
hopper
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2012, 04:42:18 PM »

This move is offensive to Republicans because they only approve of Obama taking political steps that piss off his base or can be successfully blocked by Republicans.

And yes, I know this post is headed straight for some mine or another in the Forum Community but I don't care.
Republicans only want to Obama to take steps to piss of his base? Lets see Obama wanted the following: Payroll Tax Cuts, Patent Reform, and Jobs Bill. Republicans gave him what he wanted each time. Student Loan Bill will be done soon as well although I do agree with Obama that Construction Workers should be put back to work and be introduced as Jobs Bill Part  II.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 08:39:03 PM »

The ones who behave badly  -- as in criminally -- can be deported. That could be for drunk driving, drug possession, shoplifting, or domestic violence.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies