If the courts struck down the whole bill.... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:36:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If the courts struck down the whole bill.... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How will this scenairo affect the race?
Advantage Romney

Advantage Obama

Cancel's each other out

No impact

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: If the courts struck down the whole bill....  (Read 3898 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« on: June 16, 2012, 08:48:35 PM »

I suppose hypothetically there would be more of an upside for Romney.  But I suspect John Roberts is smart enough to know that such a decision would destroy the legitimacy of his court, so I doubt he would vote for a total strikedown.  The vast majority of the bill's provisions haven't got the slightest thing to do with the "mandate," so I don't know where they would derive the legal justification for that kind of decision.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:03:29 AM »

Yes, fair enough; the absence of a severability clause in the law does give the court discretion.  But I think it would behoove SCOTUS, having made such a showcase of the oral arguments, to base their decision on a finding regarding the law's contents, and one would be hard pressed, as I see it, to make a credible case that even a majority of the bill's provisions were tethered to the "mandate."

I guess I just find this whole case to have the character of Alice in Wonderland.  We're calling something a "mandate" that has no enforcement provision.  We're using the sliding scale argument about Commerce Clause carte blanche for this law, which is explicitly limited to the regulation of the health care market, in the face of SCOTUS decisions from Gibbons vs. Ogden to Reich v. Gonzalez which have given Congress pretty much plenary authority over regulating commerce.   Hell, after what Scalia wrote in his opinion upholding Reich, for him to turn around now and knock down the "mandate," he'll have to become a contortionist. 

But, then again, every issue seems to be like that; up is down and down up nowadays, so perhaps Wonderland is our new normal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies