Presidential Debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:05:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Debate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Presidential Debate  (Read 5287 times)
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2012, 09:22:09 AM »

Let's get this started...
How do my opponents feel about doing a simple Q&A- every one can ask questions and we do our best to answer before the voting begin...with opening and closing statements
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 09:09:17 PM »

Smiley

Normally, I'd prefer a structured debate, but given that the election is rapidly approaching this may be a good format.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:18:46 PM »

Agreed...
Napoleon and Tweed- chime in?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:23:00 PM »

We need an impartial moderator.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2012, 04:35:37 AM by Gustaf »

I'm ok with a partial moderator- we need to debate!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »

I agree and also volunteer to moderate the debate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 09:26:44 PM »

I agree and also volunteer to moderate the debate.

I accept your offer.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »

As do I- Tweed feel free to start things up whenever you want
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:00 PM »

alright, the first question is from Tweed.  Tweed writes: do you feel it necessary to attempt to re-involve 'classic' Atlas members in the game: Al, BRTD, Keystone Phil, Naso, and so forth -- and if so, how would you do it?  and if not, why not?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »

Not specifically- I was sent a message to get started here and they should maybe be spoken to as any one else would to see if they want to be involved but it can happen by itself...
If the game has more true discussion and less jib jab and procedure and weeks upon weeks to get a bill thru the Senate- people will join 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 09:49:40 PM »

I feel strongly about this. I have put forth a proposal on the Game Reform Panel that would have the executive act as an Ambassador to the rest of the forum- there has been no action on it. In fact I asked Phil to come back to the game myself. I believe it is a shame that some of the forum's best posters decline to participate in this game. I don't think the petty drama some Atlasians harp on about makes people want to involve themselves in this game, nor does a transparent moderate hero balancing act. I get the sense that these members are burnt out on the gimmicks and I don't blame them. We need an Atlasian Renaissance.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 10:00:58 PM »

No, I don't.

While I understand there's considerable nostalgia for a lot of the old Atlas legends to resume posting here, the fact is it's incredibly unlikely - there's a reason they quit, after all - we should focus on getting newbies to join the game. New blood is the best solution, not a halfhearted attempt at reliving the glories of the past.

If Phil, Al, BRTD, etc, wanted to play the game again, they'd re-register like anyone else. I can't imagine an outreach effort having much success.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »

I have a question for my opponents- how to you feel about our nation getting involved in the Syrian civil war...

I will answer after I post this question
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »

I'd be opposed to that on pragmatic grounds. While I favour humanitarian intervention in certain circumstances, Syria is not Libya. Assad has a much better army, a stronger grip on power, and, crucially, lacks the vast expanses of desert that made a NATO bombing campaign in Libya possible - a bombing campaign in Syria would almost certainly kill countless civillians and very possibly do almost nothing to destabilize Assad's regime.

It's not a perfect solution, but a UN-brokered ceasefire is the most sensible path to peace here.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »

Where does each candidate stand on regional restructuring?  Also, what changes should or should not be made to our current tax code?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »

I am reluctant to involve ourselves in conflicts which do not involve the security of our people directly- as a veteran of such a conflict. However- preventing massacres is a mission which is a core value of our nation and if this were a one sided slaughter I would advocate air strikes against Assad's forces to give the rebels safe zones to plan their counterattacks...
As it usually is- this conflict may not be as one sided as we initially read. I've read the rebels have banned Christians from an area they control. I don't know if this is true- but I know that we don't know all the facts. Before any involvement in Syria- I would want all of the facts on my desk... I'd want to see that this was a slaughter of innocent people before getting involved and I'd want to be sure we weren't aiding some one who may be hostile to us, our allies, or other innocent people
If those circumstances were met- I'd authorize air strikes against Assad's forces, arming the rebels to give them the ability to compete with the advanced technology Assad has thru the Iranians and Russians, but would not place troops on the ground with the possible exception of ARmy Special Forces (Green Berets for the common term) or Navy SEALs to train rebel forces

A full scale invasion or occupation would be out of the question...
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »

Where does each candidate stand on regional restructuring?  Also, what changes should or should not be made to our current tax code?
Scott- I'm going to wait until the other candidates have answered question 2 and then answer your two questions separately....
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

I fought hard to bring our troops home safely from three foreign wars; I am not intent on involving them in another one. It is the Syrian Civil War- leave it to the Syrians. Unless something unexpected occurs, we don't need to get involved. We should work as a mediator in the region, not as a meddler.

I support the current tax rates. I would consider lowering them if my economic advisors believe it will aid the economic recovery but I also want to continue on the path of deficit reduction.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 10:18:38 PM »

My opinion on regional restructuring is fairly simple - I'm a former Governor and as such I'm inherently skeptical of grand restructuring proposals. Having said that, there seems to be at least some popular support for such an idea, and I'm not opposed to having a debate about changing the regions if there's enough political will for such a proposal to pass.

One alternative I think it's worth exploring is reintroducing "Districts", which would keep the regions intact as they are but allow the Governors considerable power in redistricting every couple of months. I think this could add an exciting element to the game, and make the position of regional executive much more important on a national level.

I don't have any particular qualms as regards the tax code - certainly I wouldn't support the flat tax that several Senators have proposed in the budget debate! And I'll take this opportunity to say I broadly support the President's budget proposal - the revenue sources included are eminently reasonable, and spending's being brought under control. The path to a balanced budget should be gradual and progressive - vicious cuts will do little but hurt the struggling economy.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 06:41:07 AM »

Question for all candidates

I would like to hear your thoughts on ideology. What place does it have in Atlasia? Would you emphasize it? Is Atlasia boring without it? Compared to your opponents, how ideological are you? How would you describe your ideology, and from what principles is it derived?

Averroes Nix- that is a great question and it goes to the core of my campaign. It's no surprise that I don't share the ideology of most of you on this board- but that is the beauty of it. That's what makes my experience fun... the discussions and debates that result from that difference. I've put forward bills you could consider right wing- the Pregnant Women Support Act going thru now could arguably be considered that- and put forward bills that are against my views- such as Polnut's broadcaster bill that I sponsored because it was worthy of discussion as all ideas are. The reality is Nix- this is an internet board... no actual lives are affected by the policies we put forward so I hope all of our dedication to an ideology or party can be less then what it would be in our true lives... instead, I put discusion and debate with people whose views and experiences are far different from my own. Out of these discussions- I've gained mutual respect for so many of you

As for my own ideology- I would say I'm closer to the center then any of my opponents so that may mean less ideological, but my views are equally as strong and my commitment to them is also. I would describe my ideology as being formed in my life experience- whether in the Navy particularly my tours in Vietnam, whether as a small business owner for 25 years, whether as a husband and a father... any of my many, many many life experiences have played a role in shaping my beliefs. I am patriotic above all else- I believe that govt should generally stay out of the way of letting individuals and businesses reach their full potential but should be there for those who need speaking for- I count the unborn as among these numbers. I believe in a constant march towards equality- and I believe that applies equally to giving gays the right to marry and getting rid of reverse racism- affirmative action. I believe that our place in the world must be considered and our people must come before anything else, but that we have a military for a reason and if our cause is just we must not hesitate to use force- but being a veteran of a questionable war I will always be reluctant to give the go ahead for the placement of troops on the ground.

In short- I am a complex man. I've had a whole lot of life experience that gives me a diverse mix of views... As President I will argue my views till I die- I will veto legislation which I disagree with- and you know what.... just as I have with every person I've disagreed with and debated- we will come out of these debates with greater mutual respect and understanding because that is what this should be about
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 06:47:50 AM »

Scott- I'm going to wait until the other candidates have answered question 2 and then answer your two questions separately....

Since others have gone ahead I don't want to be late to the party...

Regional restructuring- the district idea that Oakvale mentioned definitely has merit... As a former regional legislator I saw that Emperor PiT does not have all that much to do and anything that could put more on his plate would be a good idea. I saw the Governor in the Pacific get booted for not opening up an election... we have a problem and I have not much experience in this game to form an opinion but will listen to those who have and implement the choice of the people.

Tax code- I've long been in favor of a fair tax- a national sales tax which measures consumption instead of income. I find it more "fair" as it relies on personal choices, not personal success. I thought Herman Cain's 9-9-9 was a good idea in theory and was worth discussing... any small business owner especially but also any one who pays taxes knows what a burden it is- and to simplify it would be a great help to many people. This must be balanced with the goal of balancing the budget and ensuring revenue maintains its levels to meet our spending- which must be constantly cut. I largely support Polnut's budget and would not change too much from the way things are now...it seems we are on the path to revenue neutral and if we can get bipartisan agreement on that- that is a boon to our economy
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »

I am confident that uselectionatlas.org has nothing to do with Syria and never will have anything to do with Syria.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 11:43:38 AM »

I am confident that uselectionatlas.org has nothing to do with Syria and never will have anything to do with Syria.
Doesn't have to do much with taxes either and regions and offices here mean nothing... but isn't the point here to "play doctor" and be in the Fantasy land where what we type on an internet board actually matters?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 11:49:38 AM »

Doesn't have to do much with taxes either and regions and offices here mean nothing... but isn't the point here to "play doctor" and be in the Fantasy land where what we type on an internet board actually matters?

that's your deal.  Tweedist Atlasia won't delude itself.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »

that's your deal.  Tweedist Atlasia won't delude itself.
Tweed- I understand what you're saying and I agree some what with the attitude behind it... I've been mentioning it when I say that not one thing we do here actually affects a single person and we must look at ideology and party lines thru that lens
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies