The latest in the "Mitt Romney is amazingly rich" saga
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:09:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  The latest in the "Mitt Romney is amazingly rich" saga
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The latest in the "Mitt Romney is amazingly rich" saga  (Read 6584 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/06/18/ann-romney-excited-her-horse-olympic-bound/
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:07 AM »

Most rich Wall Streeters and Ivy Leaguers are Democrats, so Romney is seen as a traitor to his class.

Speaking of Wall Streeters, I saw on one of the financial news channels recently a Wall Streeter who said the reason Obama in 2008 got so much Wall Street money was the hate and fear Wall Street had for Sarah Palin.  These people are not stupid, so they could not be distracted by the MSM themes about Palin's pregnant daughter or $150,000 wardrobe.  No, they read up on how Palin as Alaska Governor instituted strict government ethics laws and pounded Big Oil on taxes and the natural gas pipeline.
Purch
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:48:57 AM »

A persons wealth shouldn't really affect how people view them as a candidate.

On a side note I thought John Kerry was much richer than Romney when he ran
xavier110
United States
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »

Most rich Wall Streeters and Ivy Leaguers are Democrats, so Romney is seen as a traitor to his class.

Speaking of Wall Streeters, I saw on one of the financial news channels recently a Wall Streeter who said the reason Obama in 2008 got so much Wall Street money was the hate and fear Wall Street had for Sarah Palin.  These people are not stupid, so they could not be distracted by the MSM themes about Palin's pregnant daughter or $150,000 wardrobe.  No, they read up on how Palin as Alaska Governor instituted strict government ethics laws and pounded Big Oil on taxes and the natural gas pipeline.

Most "Wall Streeters" are Republicans, through and through.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

Election results from Manhattan would seem to belie that statement.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 12:02:21 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

You don't seriously believe the above to you WhyteRain?  In any event, that is not why I voted for Obama. Tongue
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »

A persons wealth shouldn't really affect how people view them as a candidate.

On a side note I thought John Kerry was much richer than Romney when he ran

You mean Kerry's wife no?  Kerry himself does not have a pot to piss in.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

You don't seriously believe the above to you?  In any event, that is not why I voted for Obama. Tongue

OK, why don't you tell us then why the seriously smart and rich guys on Wall Street were scared of Sarah Palin -- and NOT scared of Barack Obama.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 12:06:15 PM »

Wall Street tycoons are a very small percentage of the total vote of an area that is over 1 million in population.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »

You don't seriously believe the above to you?  In any event, that is not why I voted for Obama. Tongue

OK, why don't you tell us then why the seriously smart and rich guys on Wall Street were scared of Sarah Palin -- and NOT scared of Barack Obama.

Because smart rich people don't like stupid populist demagogues.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 12:09:40 PM »

Wall Street tycoons are a very small percentage of the total vote of an area that is over 1 million in population.

How about "election results from the Upper East Side and other neighborhoods Wall Street tycoons live in" if you didn't like my shorthand.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »

Because smart rich people don't like stupid populist demagogues.

Let's have a contest!

I'll list something stupid Obama has said and then you do the same for Palin.  We'll keep going until one of us runs out and we can proclaim a "winner".

I'll start:  "Navy Corpse-man".

Oh, and these have to be verifiable quotes -- not "somebody said that Sarah said such-and-such".

(Don't worry, this won't take you long, but I'll be here for hours.)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 12:15:12 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 12:45:56 PM by Torie »

You were being sarcastic?  Anyway, the monied class did not have confidence in McCain's skills when it came to finance, an area he himself said he knew little about and that it bored him. That became troubling after Lehman collapsed in particular, exacerbated by McCain's tendency to shoot from the hip impulsively, as he did with the Palin affair. Calm, cerebral, and analytical seemed more like the ticket, and Obama projected that. Yes, I know, Obama's hand on the tiller has proven to be disappointingly disengaged and unsteady, as he allowed(s) the tiller to swing around depending on which way the wind is blowing from the port side. It's time to move on to option 3.

No, I am not playing the game, but would note that on the corps thing, Obama just mispronounced it because nobody told him that the "p" was silent. I used to mispronounce it too - for a time. That is what happens when military matters are just not much of interest to you, and you have never done it. Surely you can do better than that.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 12:23:40 PM »

You were being sarcastic?  Anyway, the monied class did not have confidence in McCain's skills when it came to finance, an area he himself said he knew little about and that it bored him. That became troubling after Lehman collapsed in particular, exacerbated by McCain's tendency to shoot from the hip impulsively, as he did with the Palin affair. Calm, cerebral, and analytical seemed more like the ticket, and Obama projected that. Yes, I know, Obama's hand on the tiller has proven to be disappointingly disengaged and unsteady, as he allowed(s) the tiller to swing around depending on which way the wind is blowing from the port side. It's time to move on to option 3.

First, the Wall Streeter said they were scared of PALIN, not McCain.  "Stupidity" in a politician is no problem for Wall Street (in fact, it's a plus).  Having an anti-Big-Money-In-Politics ideology scares the sh**t out of them.

Second, I still think that future historians and social scientists will have to try to explain how so many Americans in 2008 thought that a Chicago-machine politician and major Fannie Mae bagman -- who had never brought any "hope and change" to any political office he ever held -- was going to have a complete personality transplant and become a reformist in the White House.

In other words, from my perspective, anyone with half a brain could see that Obama was going to be out of his depth as president -- as Bill Clinton said, the highest White House position Obama was suited to was bringing coffee for the real decision makers.

I will admit that even I did not predict how big a failure Obama would be.  For example, I thought he would be smart enough not to shove DemocratCare down America's throat once it became clear -- as it did in 2009 -- that doing so would cost Democrats control of the House.  So, Obama's even dumber than I thought.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

Sheesh, presidential elections really bring out the idiots.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 12:42:47 PM »

I like how WhyteRain perverted the historical meaning of the phrase "traitor to his class."

Normally I would call that trolling, but these days I'm not certain anymore...
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 01:20:02 PM »

I like how WhyteRain perverted the historical meaning of the phrase "traitor to his class."

As a class, the rich are never on the side of the middle class.  In fact they despise it.

But the rich aren't stupid.  They aren't going to say to the middle class:  "Give us all your money and liberties so that we can feel and live like Masters of the Universe like we were told at Harvard that we would be!"

Instead, with their near-monopoly control of the megaphones of society, the rich tell the middle class, "Give us all your money and liberties or we will pillory you for being 'greedy', 'selfish', 'racist', 'hating', 'crazy', 'extreme', and 'unAmerican'!"

Do some research and you'll see this is right.  Just one example, take the media conspiracy that was exposed in 2010 called "JournoList" -- a cabal of about 400 top journalists and academicians who planned the sale of Obama to America.  (Of course, once it was exposed it was "disbanded".)  Anyway, while only about 150 of the JournoList conspirators were identified, I'd invite you to do some research on them.  You'll learn that many (most?) came out of the same elite private prep schools and Ivy League colleges that gave us Obama (and Romney).

Or do a web search for "Ruling Class vs. Country Class"
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 01:29:49 PM »

Best of luck, Rafalca!
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 01:52:59 PM »

Can you imagine if John Kerry's wife did this? I'm sure we would lots of clever Republicans pointing out that it's extra funny because John Kerry looks like a horse.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 01:59:08 PM »

As a class, the rich are never on the side of the middle class.  In fact they despise it.

But the rich aren't stupid.  They aren't going to say to the middle class:  "Give us all your money and liberties so that we can feel and live like Masters of the Universe like we were told at Harvard that we would be!"

Instead, with their near-monopoly control of the megaphones of society, the rich tell the middle class, "Give us all your money and liberties or we will pillory you for being 'greedy', 'selfish', 'racist', 'hating', 'crazy', 'extreme', and 'unAmerican'!"

Do some research and you'll see this is right.  Just one example, take the media conspiracy that was exposed in 2010 called "JournoList" -- a cabal of about 400 top journalists and academicians who planned the sale of Obama to America.  (Of course, once it was exposed it was "disbanded".)  Anyway, while only about 150 of the JournoList conspirators were identified, I'd invite you to do some research on them.  You'll learn that many (most?) came out of the same elite private prep schools and Ivy League colleges that gave us Obama (and Romney).

Yeah Ezra Klein and Jonathan Chait are real Ivy Leaguers...NOT...
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 02:11:31 PM »

That, plus remember that a lot of them live in Long Island, Westchester County, or Connecticut, and commute to work in Manhattan.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2012, 03:33:22 PM by WhyteRain »

As a class, the rich are never on the side of the middle class.  In fact they despise it.

But the rich aren't stupid.  They aren't going to say to the middle class:  "Give us all your money and liberties so that we can feel and live like Masters of the Universe like we were told at Harvard that we would be!"

Do some research and you'll see this is right.  Just one example, take the media conspiracy that was exposed in 2010 called "JournoList" -- a cabal of about 400 top journalists and academicians who planned the sale of Obama to America.  (Of course, once it was exposed it was "disbanded".)  Anyway, while only about 150 of the JournoList conspirators were identified, I'd invite you to do some research on them.  You'll learn that many (most?) came out of the same elite private prep schools and Ivy League colleges that gave us Obama (and Romney).

Yeah Ezra Klein and Jonathan Chait are real Ivy Leaguers...NOT...

Give us their CVs ... and then you have just 148 to go.

[modify]:
WhyteRain
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »

So I guess no progressives here will even atempt to explain why Wall Street was "scared" by Sarah Palin but not by Barack Obama.  (Hint:  Right after her VP nomination Palin said that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac "had gotten too big and too expensive for the taxpayers".  That quote, especially after seeing how Palin manhandled Exxon-Mobil in Alaska, threw WS into a panic.  On the other ticket, they had the Senate's number one FNMA bagman....)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 04:05:51 PM »

So I guess no progressives here will even atempt to explain why Wall Street was "scared" by Sarah Palin but not by Barack Obama.  (Hint:  Right after her VP nomination Palin said that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac "had gotten too big and too expensive for the taxpayers".  That quote, especially after seeing how Palin manhandled Exxon-Mobil in Alaska, threw WS into a panic.  On the other ticket, they had the Senate's number one FNMA bagman....)

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac did not have much to do with the global financial crisis, and you know that.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 04:10:17 PM »

WhyteRain, why would we care about that?  That doesn't make Sarah Palin less bad than Obama.  

Of course we all realize that both parties - and in fact every living person - are servants of the controlling oligarchy (capitalism), but this is hardly an indictment of Obama.  The important point to take home from this thread is that Romney is rich - he isn't just a servant of the rich.  So, he's not just a representative of the killing class, or an apologist for it - he is an embodiment of it.  Another way to put it is there are those with blood on their hands, and those with a belly full of the stuff.  This is what separates the Obamas and the Clintons from the Bushes and the Romneys.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies