Who are some semi-plausible 2014 gubernatorial candidates who could win? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who are some semi-plausible 2014 gubernatorial candidates who could win? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who are some semi-plausible 2014 gubernatorial candidates who could win?  (Read 7440 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« on: June 24, 2012, 08:37:57 AM »

Pennsylvania: People have floated Sestak, what about Holden or Altmire who have lost their House seats?

Wisconsin: Only Feingold could really test him here. I feel that Kind will run for Johnson's seat in 2016.

South Carolina: Sheheen? I don't see any other real candidates, lol.

Florida: Many people can run here and have a good chance of winning - Crist, Sink, Rich, maybe even DWS or Grayson Tongue

Texas: Maybe try Bill White or Chet Edwards?

Arizona: Goddard probably, though Giffords should run if she's mostly recovered.

Nebraska: Looks like Sheehy's running here.

Arkansas: Although the Democrats are struggling here, I think Ross and McDaniel are stronger candidates than anything the Republicans have to offer.

Maryland: Brown's probably favoured, although Franchot and Gansler could get the nomination as well. I don't see any Reps who could win here except maybe Steele or Erlich.

Massachusetts: Probably Murray's seat, though I can see Brown running if he loses to Warren.

Maine: Cutler can run as an Independent, or Pingree (both?) or Michaud can run as Dems.

Connecticut: Foley appears to be running again, though it'll probably be easier for the Reps if they run Simmons or Shays.

Hawaii: Djou?

Rhode Island: Don't know. Robatille will probably get the R nomination, though.
Sestak would have a better electoral history than anyone who lost a US House race. Plus, he's better known throughout the state. He will be in his 60s. But so was Corbett.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:56:02 AM »

My guess is that Perry and Brown don't run for reelection. Perry would be in office for 14 years. Brown would be 76, and he already had his comeback. So those would be the major elections.

If Cruz loses the Senate primary against Dewhurst, I think he would be the top contender for the Republican party's nomination.

If Cruz is elected to the Senate, it would be an interesting primary due to the sheer size of the Republican bench.

The Democratic field for the 2012 election for Senate in Texas is so weak that they'll likely go with token opposition in 2014.

Gavin Newsom is probably the first in line for the California democratic primary. At the moment, it seems like the top Republicans would be either Whitman or Fiorina, whoever has more interest in running.

In New York, I suspect Cuomo would face token opposition.

In Florida, Rick Scott seems like the type of guy who would run for a second term even if his approval rating continued to be in the toilet. And he has enough support amongst Republicans to avoid a primary. I'm not sure who the Democratic nominee will be. Crist will be valuable in national politics, because of what it says about the Republican party, but his record is fairly conservative, and there are the gay rumors, which recently got mainstream media attention. The Florida cabinet members are all Republican, so Democrats will have to look elsewhere in the congressional delegation, state legislature and mayoralities.

In Illinois, I would imagine Lisa Madigan would be a likely contender, just because Attorney Generals have good odds of being elected Governor. On the Republican side, Bill Brady has name recognition from his 2010 run. I think he would start out as the party's frontrunner.

In Nebraska, Lieutenant Governor Rick Sheehy seems to be the likely Republican contender.

In Arkansas, Attorney General Dustin McDaniel seems to be the best candidate the Democrats to follow in the footsteps of Bill Clinton and Mike Bebee. Any Democrat reelected to statewide office in 2010 in such a red state deserves respect. Although Bill Halter did pretty well in the primary against Blanche Lincoln. Lieutenant Governor Mark Darr seems to be the most prominent Republican.

If Scott Brown loses the Senate race, he'll be a strong candidate for Governor of Massachusetts. Otherwise, Charles Murray may be given another opportunity for the Republican nomination. The Democratic primary would be interesting considering the sheer number of potential nominees, none of whom has tremendous starpower. I don't see the nomination going to Warren.

If Nathan Deal doesn't want to run for reelection, I think the Republican party's nomination will go to Karen Handel. As far as conservative primary voters are concerned, she came out ahead during the Komen mess.

Nikki Haley's approval ratings are low, and she was elected Governor in a fairly close race in a very Republican state in a very Republican year. So she could be vulnerable to a rematch with Vincent Shaheen, especially in circumstances unfavorable to Republicans, such as President Romney presiding over a bad economy.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies