West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention  (Read 9294 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »

If Romney-R wins, Manchin(D-WV) might be the Zell Miller of the 2010s.
During the Bush v Gore race. Bush carried GA by a double digit margin and Miller remained neutral.
During the Bush v Kerry race. Bush increased his margin of victory in GA and and Miller went of the deep end.
Manchin could endorse Romney-R in his 2016 re-election campaign, give keynote address at RNC convention and go on Hardball and challenge Chris Matthews to a duel.

So basically, if Romney wins MSNBC features live duels to the death? That's not a bad idea; it'd certainly boost ratings, especially among the WWE crowd...

...I think you probably get this, but just in case you don't...you do realize that Zell Miller challenged Chris Matthews to a duel back in 2004, right?  And that this is a reference?
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2012, 10:03:53 AM »

Someone convince me this isn't racism. 

WV... what happened to you? 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »

I do know that Jay Rockefeller is still supporting Obama; he gave a great speech recently that I saw on C-SPAN on why coal regulations actually help the coal industry to reform and how they benefit West Virginians. Sad that nearly every politician is in Big Coal's pocket.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2012, 04:58:55 PM »

Hardly afraid of their own shadows. They'd hate to be associated with failure.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

You can add Jim Matheson to the WV Dems in the list of people who won't be attending. Just like the WV Dems, Matheson is afraid that his own shadow might lean slightly to the left. All of them are spineless.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2012, 08:51:02 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2012, 08:52:34 PM by cope1989 »

Yes, that's exactly what's behind it. Not the fact that they're playing to the animalistic instincts of their dirt poor, racist constituents, weak in their own fear of appearing anything less than hate filled toward their own party's nominee and the leader of the free world.
How could I have been so wrong??
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2012, 08:53:14 PM »

Why are Democrats suddenly pussying out? I know they all support Obama, and most people surely assume they're Obama supporters.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what's behind it. Not the fact that they're playing to the animalistic instincts of their dirt poor, racist constituents, weak in their own fear of appearing anything less than hate filled toward their own party's nominee and the leader of the free world.
Ah, I love seeing Progressives talk about the people they so love to take care off.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2012, 09:04:49 PM »

Ah, I love seeing Progressives talk about the people they so love to take care off.

As a Democrat, I believe our party should help all impoverished or struggling people, but that doesn't mean I have to like all of them.

And please, I'd love for you to find me a legitimate reason why 40% of WV Democrats voted for a skeevy convicted felon over the President that doesn't have anything to do with blatant racism or xenophobia. I would absolutely love it. But I don't know if I have the time to wait around while you come up with a bull**** excuse.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »

As a Democrat, I believe our party should help all impoverished or struggling people, but that doesn't mean I have to like all of them.

And please, I'd love for you to find me a legitimate reason why 40% of WV Democrats voted for a skeevy convicted felon over the President that doesn't have anything to do with blatant racism or xenophobia. I would absolutely love it. But I don't know if I have the time to wait around while you come up with a bull**** excuse.
Maybe because West Virginia is Hillary Clinton country? Maybe because West Virginia is a economic left, socially right wing state? Maybe because Obama's cap and trade would rape the economy of West Virginia?

I come from a WV family. Of course race is a issue, but the fact is, the right of the Democratic Party is disgruntled?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2012, 10:50:30 PM »

I strongly dislike the condescending attitudes that Democrats have towards poor whites (just like the attitudes of Republicans towards inner-city minorities). There's a reason why Republicans are non-existent in places like the Bronx and central Philly. Obama is the worst possible candidate for West Virginia, granted (at least he's not a gay atheist too Tongue)

The one thing Obama has going for him in West Virginia is that they hate Romney too.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

I strongly dislike the condescending attitudes that Democrats have towards poor whites (just like the attitudes of Republicans towards inner-city minorities). There's a reason why Republicans are non-existent in places like the Bronx and central Philly. Obama is the worst possible candidate for West Virginia, granted (at least he's not a gay atheist too Tongue)

The one thing Obama has going for him in West Virginia is that they hate Romney too.

No, the one thing Obama has going for him in West Virginia is that it only has 5 electoral votes.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2012, 11:22:01 PM »

Maybe because West Virginia is Hillary Clinton country? Maybe because West Virginia is a economic left, socially right wing state? Maybe because Obama's cap and trade would rape the economy of West Virginia?

I come from a WV family. Of course race is a issue, but the fact is, the right of the Democratic Party is disgruntled?

Since when is WV Hillary Clinton country? Bill Clinton maybe, but the wild assumptions that Hillary would have won WV in a landslide had she won the nomination are pretty far fetched IMO. Bill Clinton country might be a better fit.

And LOL at cap and trade. We can certainly argue whether cap and trade would help or hurt the coal mining industry, but Bill Clinton also supported cap and trade, and he's a saint up there. The connection you're trying to make just doesn't exist.

And if WV is economically left, then why did Joe Manchin, a Democrat, all but curse Obamacare when he was running in 2010? WV is one of the most uninsured states in the nation, and  you'd think an impoverished, populist state, would be head over heels for the bill- but they weren't.

Maybe I'm unfairly critical of West Virginians. I'm sure they're very nice people. I've been up there and they were perfectly fine, but I'm sick seeing what the state is turning into. People up there are viewing things through the prism of race and it's preventing them from voting for their own self interests. I think there's a lot of people who have no business voting Democrat, they don't need to. But if any state should remain firmly aligned to the party, it's West Virginia.

So yes, I'm a little mad. I saw poor white voters in my state switch from D to R over something as trivial as the stupid state flag, back in 2002. They now vote for politicians who want to lower taxes for the wealthy while their services and benefits get cut. Their quality of life has not improved one bit since Georgia became GOP controlled, but they don't care. As long as the Republican guy rambles about god faith and family they're all good. And the Republicans know this- they couldn't give a crap about them. All they want is their vote and they know they'll get it no matter what. I just don't want to see the same thing happen to West Virginia.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2012, 11:27:20 PM »

People like cope are one of the reasons people think Democrats are elitist condescending jerks.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2012, 01:13:54 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 01:19:07 AM by cope1989 »

People like cope are one of the reasons people think Democrats are elitist condescending jerks.

Oh, sorry dude, I didn't realize we were ignoring this problem.

I don't know about your experience, but I was born and raised in Georgia, and I've seen our party lose voters due to racism and cultural issues. I know how it works, and it's a problem for both parties.

I don't want to lose these voters- they have always been the heart of the party. But I also think that we're losing them because of racism and xenophobia. So we're just not gonna talk about it because we're afraid of being seen as condescending?  I could really care less.

When 40% of Democrats in WV vote for a prisoner over Obama, I'm gonna have some suspicions, and I'm not gonna ignore them. You can think whatever you want about me, but I'm gonna talk about it.

Oh, and I'm from Georgia. I've heard people disparage my state and my family, friends and neighbors all my life. They call us racists and rednecks and everything else in the book. So don't think I'm sitting in my penthouse apartment wondering why everyone else is such a racist.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:23 AM »

That's a factor. The fact that the Democratic Party has snubbed the poor and working-class (both whites and non-whites) in favor of wealthy donors who want neoliberal economic policy and care more about same-sex marriage than poverty is also a factor.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2012, 01:22:43 AM »

That's a factor. The fact that the Democratic Party has snubbed the poor and working-class (both whites and non-whites) in favor of wealthy donors who want neoliberal economic policy and care more about same-sex marriage than poverty is also a factor.

I actually agree with that. The Democratic party in a way sold its soul in the 90s to pick up suburban voters and young people, and the perception of Democrats has changed.

But as I said in a post a while back- can't we support equal rights and economic fairness at the same time? I think we can.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2012, 01:31:54 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2012, 01:33:38 AM by Jay Rockefeller, Illuminati Puppet »

I'd like to, but that might scare away the Wall Street and Silicon Valley donors. It's a tough balancing act.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 04:45:07 AM »

The Democrats' embracement of neoliberalism is disgusting but so is the sentiment that puts social issues like abortion, racism (welfare queens!), and religion above the economic issues that are doing the most damage.

I'd like to see Democrats truly embrace economic leftism and for people to toss aside religion and racism. Neither seems likely at this point...

I wonder if Arkansas/West Virginia Democrats will survive another 4 years of Obama? Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »

I wonder if Arkansas/West Virginia Democrats will survive another 4 years of Obama? Tongue

Oh, they will. They've stayed Democratic by and large due to economic issues and will remain that way, at least at the state level. WV & AR abandoned Democrats at the national level a long time ago, although I'd expect to see a decent resurgence come 2016 - regardless of candidate (assuming he or she is more fair-complected).
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2012, 11:32:32 AM »

With the polarization we have experienced over the last few cycles, I expect a significant dealignment in 2016, especially if someone like Brian Schweitzer is the D Nominee.

The red state/blue state divide will probably remain intact, but I think the Republican will improve a lot in the blue states while the Democratic will improve in the red states -like actually winning a county in Oklahoma!
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »

I think it's in bad taste. It's the Democratic National Convention; not the Barack Obama National Convention. If you can't bring yourself to attend your own party's quadrennial coming-together, maybe you need to find another party.

It is basically the Obama national Convention.  Obama took the party and turned it into his own reelection campaign.  He tore down the 50 state strategy and completely destroyed the party.  If I was a Democratic Congressman from a conservative area, I would proudly endorse Mitt Romney and even campaign with him.  I recall some Democrats in the south endorsing Bush in 1988 and Reagan in 1984. 
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2012, 11:57:26 AM »

I think it's in bad taste. It's the Democratic National Convention; not the Barack Obama National Convention. If you can't bring yourself to attend your own party's quadrennial coming-together, maybe you need to find another party.

It is basically the Obama national Convention.  Obama took the party and turned it into his own reelection campaign.  He tore down the 50 state strategy and completely destroyed the party.  If I was a Democratic Congressman from a conservative area, I would proudly endorse Mitt Romney and even campaign with him.  I recall some Democrats in the south endorsing Bush in 1988 and Reagan in 1984. 

wat
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2012, 11:59:06 AM »

I recall some Democrats in the south endorsing Bush in 1988 and Reagan in 1984. 

You recall incorrectly.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 12:13:09 PM »

Yes, that's exactly what's behind it. Not the fact that they're playing to the animalistic instincts of their dirt poor, racist constituents

Who else raised an eyebrow at that?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies