West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:02:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: West Virginia Democrats Scared of their Own Shadows: Will Skip Convention  (Read 9408 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:54 PM »

I strongly dislike the condescending attitudes that Democrats have towards poor whites (just like the attitudes of Republicans towards inner-city minorities). There's a reason why Republicans are non-existent in places like the Bronx and central Philly. Obama is the worst possible candidate for West Virginia, granted (at least he's not a gay atheist too Tongue)

The one thing Obama has going for him in West Virginia is that they hate Romney too.

No, the one thing Obama has going for him in West Virginia is that it only has 5 electoral votes.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:54:52 PM »

All right. 'animalistic' might be too strong of a word to use. But I've been to some very rural areas of WV in the past few years, and I've seen the attitudes I'm speaking of displayed in some pretty disgraceful ways. So I don't think it's a stretch to make the claim that racism is part of the problem, as it is in Georgia too.

"Animalistic" in particular is going to spark outrage because after all, the "black people are animals" theme drove the debate of race for much of the 18th and 19th century. Blacks were often considered as a lower evolutionary form of human in science, partly because humans evolved in Africa. There have been books upon books and papers upon papers comparing jaw angles, breast shapes, and half a dozen other body parts of blacks to those of whites and apes to show blacks as an intermediate form between the apes and "more fully evolved" whites.

Calling rednecks, whether or not they are racist, "animalistic" is sort of an interesting thought for its historical significance. In general one must be very careful when painting another group as lower along the progression of human development in such a way because when specifically asking for an egalitarian society it becomes quite ironic.

Of course I doubt you thought about it this way when you posted it. But it does read interestingly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies